Light-O-Rama Forums

Floodlight/Strobe Light Question

zgar

Does anyone have suggestions for what to buy/try in order to create a strobe effect? I bought dimmable, instant-on led floodlight bulbs that I'm using for most of my show, and in general they work well - but I noticed the timing won't work well for what are effectively strobe-like effects (using for a fast drum beat). Unless the on/off pattern is at least .2 seconds, the light will not reliably turn on - it will either stay off completely or only fire randomly. Any suggestions for what to buy and/or try out? Thanks for any help!

-Chris

Check out Wowlights they have LED flood strobes which i use for lightning effects on Halloween night and they work perfectly.

7 hours ago, zgar said:

Does anyone have suggestions for what to buy/try in order to create a strobe effect? I bought dimmable, instant-on led floodlight bulbs that I'm using for most of my show, and in general they work well - but I noticed the timing won't work well for what are effectively strobe-like effects (using for a fast drum beat). Unless the on/off pattern is at least .2 seconds, the light will not reliably turn on - it will either stay off completely or only fire randomly. Any suggestions for what to buy and/or try out? Thanks for any help!

-Chris

The LOR 50-watt floodlights are programmable on how long/short the strobe effect is. Now with that said, when you set it to your taste, that’s where it is.

Be sure you are on LOR’s email list as their summer sale should be right around the corner.

I have (4) of these floods and love them. I mainly use as whole house color wash. But fill in the strobe channel and now you are strobing in whatever color you want!

http://store.lightorama.com/pl50wrgbandu.html

7 hours ago, zgar said:

-Chris

Also - might just try “shimmer” or “twinkle” for the drum roll, since you say you already have dimmable lights. 

14 hours ago, zgar said:

-Chris

I use some Lowes purchased garden floods/ spots.

I have had no problems getting them to strobe to the fast beats.

They are normally $14 each and I got them several years ago on a Christmas sale for $0.75 each. That probably won’t happen again but even at normal pride the are great.

Last year I added the LOR 50w RGB to color wash the house so I use my 15 cheap floods to face the audience. They work great.

JR

• Like 1

Dang, I forgot to give credit to my friend Mega Arch for helping me figure out how to sequence those 50w floods. Sent me a couple test sequences and away I went.

Thank you again Dan.

JR

• Haha 1

Wow, thank you all for the helpful responses! I think it may just be the lights I was using, so I'm going to try a couple others out and may end up getting the LOR floods. Thank you, Mega for the heads up about the sale and the show looks great, JR! 

• Like 1