Light-O-Rama Forums

How early is too early?

thebaronn

I was wondering how early is too early for the halloween setup.

As of now I am shooting for a 19th display run date.

But until then I really only have 1 or at the most 2 days a week for setup(I can program the sequences at work)

So can I start putting the the stuff up now (of course nothing would be "on" just out for display)?

What do you think?

Thank you

Eric

im planning on putting up the 2nd week of october and turning on whenever im done and putting out weather sensitive stuff on halloween weather permitting including myself on the front proch in some kinda costume that doesnt look like a person is wearing it so i can scare the crap out of kids again like last year (that was fun :dude:)

3 1/2 hours and a few Pumpkin Ales got the spooky fence up yesterday. The neighbors were already ribbing us about it being too early.

That's all we're going to do until we take a weeks vacation starting the 29th.

A little testing and we should go live on the first.

If X-Mas can go up a month early, than so can Halloween! :(

I have all the house lights, strobes, blacklights, bushes done. & come wednesday or thurs, whichever day doesn't rain, mow the yard one last time and set up cemetary gates and then really throw down some decorations. Finish up with spider webs and I'm ready.

Tomorrow build my last prop, a gallows.

I have my kids ribbing me more than anyone...

I saw xmas trees in Walmart today and some expensive real pumpkins, $4.98 ouch last year they were like $3

just your basic adjustable box type from spensers, $9 bucks a pop most anywhere, tried buying the lightbulb type strobe but it's not fast enough.
Have 2 hooked up, should add more but we'll see how it looks first.

I put mine up Oct first and run it that day. Of course I have other stuff that is added the day of Halloween for the yard haunt.

I use a couple of 750 watt strobes for my main effect for the yard grave and for the house then a few 70 watt strobes and a few 24 watt strobes. I have about 12 total. Then I use 3 High powered 400-watt blacklight FLOODS. then some smaller 4ft tubes. Then about 7 smoke machines. One is 1500watts the others are 700 watts. 4 are running through chillers, the other 3 are running straight up. Then I have 8 LED wash lights shining straight up the house. Plus C9 Christmas lights which are blacklight in color. Then a couple of normal 75 watts floods for various effects. Other then that just numerous lights on the bushes, cob webs and other various props.

Here are some various pics from last year. Sorry for the blur I didn't get a tripod until Dec. So this year the pics will come out better for night pics when I take them.

The coffin is painted florescent green then has a smoke machine in it and a green flood with a 24 watt strobe. I have 3 of those total as they make a good prop to hide smoke machines, controllers, etc. The fence is made out of wooded firing strips and PVC. Then I bought the fenals at a fence store for like 40 cents to top them. I have like 9 sections of fence total.

my.php?image=halloween07001ax1.jpgWell for some reason I can not post the pics.

my.php?image=halloween07029ic2.jpg

Haha, my whole display is up and running right now as I type. Only thing that is not running is LOR, and that debuts next week. I thought I was the only one in my neighborhood to put up early, but as I drove around today there were several houses that had their decorations up, so you're good, haha. :D

All I need is to plant some tombstones, set in my cemetary gates and put out the last pumpkins and spiderwebs.

The neighbors driving by are already hitting the brakes, which is good, I have about 2k cars drive by a day and most think our little lane is the indy 500.

tikilights wrote:

Holy Cow, bet ya put cars in ditches with those strobes!

Nah not really because the 750 watt strobes are in these protective boxes I made and they have blinders on the side. They are set at the front corners of the yard facing the house. They are mostly just used for lightning effect within the soundtrack because of their brightness. They do not run constantly. 70 watt are bright but not distracting at all because of where they are place and of course the 24 watt is hardly nothing. You can barely see them from the road. Those are placed inside the coffins and used to accent Headstones here and there. Besides the strobes don't run until Halloween with the exception of the 750 watt strobes that flash from time to time during the show.

The smoke machines are probably more of a problem then anything but they only run on Halloween and their is so much traffic in front of the house anyways it is not all that big of a deal. It definitely looks good. I just wish I had some better pics.

About the pics I don't see the links I posted, how did you find them because I posted more then just those two?

I am using the strobes from this site.

http://www.cheaplights.com/cart/page26.html

I use the 125-LINK75-08x2 and the 125-STROBE750-08 then the 24 watt strobes I just get from party city or Spirit Halloween store when they go on sell. The 750 watt are the cheapest you are going to find. Those normally run about $150 or more just for one so $70 is a steal. I get a lot of my EFX lighting there.

Keep in mind these strobes are not to be run every night constantly. Especially the 24 watt ones you will burn up in a few days and once the get wet, forget about it they are toast. Halloween night you can crank them all up and go to town that is fine, or if you are just using them for short blast here and there in your show before Halloween that will be ok.

I am also using this.

http://www.halloweenconnection.com/detail.aspx?ID=102

I have it tied to my mixer as well as the other big strobes. I have the one strobe on my roof just down past the peak shining up on the trees in the back yard. It makes for a really nice effect with the ones in the front. Especially when you off set the flashes.