Light-O-Rama Forums

New radio station means... BUMMER.

JeffF

I was just out and about and happened to tune into the frequency I was going to use for the show this year and yep... as fate would have it that there is a new station on it now. :(

That is what I get for trying to have all my ducks in a row and getting a couple "Tune To" banners printed up early.

Oh well... maybe this will inspire me to make a "Tune To" sign out of C7 lights like I had thought about doing earlier in the year.

Really a bummer. :?

-Jeff

Yea, bummer. That sounds like a rare occurence though. New stations don't usually just pop up on new frequencies... at least not out here.

We got one of those BetaBrite LED signs last year "REAL CHEAP" at Costco as they had a display item they wanted to close out. Those signs are neat, but might be a bit expensive if you have to pay retail price for them (about $100 I think they wanted at retail).

Welp, I did a little research and it seems like a college town about 40 miles away now has a radio station on my 95.5FM. :( It is a darn strong signal and just for giggles I decided to see how far I could transmit over it(yeah, I know). I'd say about 250ft is the maximum BUT it sounds horrible. Almost makes me think my little transmitter is getting pummeled with the station's signal being back fed into it somehow.

I only really have one other choice which is 94.9FM. I just did a test and things sound clear for a ways down the road. Should be good for the show.

Now I have to either change the signs I have(which will probably look like crap) or I have to come up with something else for the frequency.

At any rate, glad it happened now and not after Thanksgiving. ;)

I seriously thought about leaving the frequency numbers off our sign when I ordered it this year. That way I could just use stick on numbers.

I ended up having the frequency painted on. Hopefully it stays open.

There is a religious station that now broadcasts on the frequency I have been using the past couple years. There are a lot of open frequncies around here, though.

Dr. Jones wrote:

One thing to keep in mind about radio locator is that it is only good for determining frequencies to NOT transmit on. Since their database is often outdated, it might indicate that a frequency is clear, but in reality, it might be taken. It's good as a general guide.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Dr. Jones wrote:

One thing to keep in mind about radio locator is that it is only good for determining frequencies to NOT transmit on. Since their database is often outdated, it might indicate that a frequency is clear, but in reality, it might be taken. It's good as a general guide.

Radio Locator is a good starting tool, but discovered that if you live close to another State it might not pick up those states stations in the search.

I had this happen to me, It is fair enough away that it should not be a problem. Already have my signs and voice overs made by the Demented Elf.

Just use it as a tool, look at all the good, better, best choices, drive around your area on each choice, then pick what you think is the best.

You can also check if you find three consecutive frequencies open, you might had a station stop broadcasting.

just some ideas

One thing that I discovered in my search for an open frequency is that what you hear during the day can be quite different from what you hear at night. Make sure you listen during the times that you will be running your displays.

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

One thing that I discovered in my search for an open frequency is that what you hear during the day can be quite different from what you hear at night. Make sure you listen during the times that you will be running your displays.

D.T.

Good point.

If I ever redo our radio signs, they will definitely have some means to change the frequency. I've been lucky and have used the same frequency for 6 years now (this will be the 7th). Every so often, I'll notice something on 'my' frequency while driving around, but it's always fleeting so I think it's just more unlicensed broadcasting. Although on a really strange day I can pull in a station about 150 miles away in my car...

-Tim