Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel matrix and props

JRB

I have 2 pixel matrixes and 1 prop that I got for this years show. Im not sure how I am suppose to wire them to make my life easy when I need to program them? Any help with this?? 

The pixel matrix will be 4'x8'  I will have 2 separate matrix each power by a pixie 16 and the prop will run off a pixie 8 

The prop has different sections which is where I'm unsure how to set it up 

• Hat part is 33 nodes
  • White part is 51 nodes
  • Ball part is 72 nodes
  • Matrix is 168 nodes
  • Total nodes 324

For the matrix the easiest way is 16 separate rows each connected tot one pigtail.

The other prop is irrelevant to your total pixels.

Do the same  as the pixiie 16

JR

So for the prop can I have it all connected and I won’t Have issues controlling certain parts? Or do I need each part to be on a channel? Hat would be 1 channel white part would be channel 2 ball part channel 3 matrix channel 4 and 5?

1 hour ago, JRB said:

So for the prop can I have it all connected and I won’t Have issues controlling certain parts? Or do I need each part to be on a channel? Hat would be 1 channel white part would be channel 2 ball part channel 3 matrix channel 4 and 5?

Not sure of what you are explaining here.

From above the matrix is separate from the other props.

Depending on what you are attempting just like AC controller. No sequence written would mean no light for the particular lights you are controlling.

If you find my Christmas show video you can see that for the airplane affect on my roof I turn off all lights except some to make it appear as if the wings strobe just like a real plane.

For RGB controllers think of ports not channels.

Your matrix willl be 16  separate unit IDs

Your other props will be 4 separate unit IDs.

See my tutorial for how it works. It will make more sense to you after that.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

But my main question is Do i need to take 1 string of pixels and only have 33 pixels for the hat and then have a string with only 51 pixels for the white part and then 2 strings 1 100 and 1 68 for the matrix? 

OR 

Can I make the hat part and white 1 sting?  Iv never programmed pixels so I'm just making sure I can connect multiple sections and not have issues only controlling the ball part or the white part separately if they are all on the same string of pixels.

Someone told me if I want separate control they have to be on separate ID's so ID1 would be hat and so on.. 

• Hat part is 33 nodes
  • White part is 51 nodes
  • Ball part is 72 nodes
  • Matrix is 168 nodes
  • Total nodes 324

Assuming 12V pixels and 100 pixels per port max, I would probably put the 51 and 33 on one port, the 72 on one port and split the 168 between two more ports. 

You can pixel pack more tightly but it won't save a port.

As far as the sequencer is concerned, as long as you tell it what is connected to which ID and the correct number of pixels, it should be fine. You will do that in the Preview in S5.

You can arrange a grid view group (or groups) any way you wish for sequencing purposes.

48 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Assuming 12V pixels and 100 pixels per port max, I would probably put the 51 and 33 on one port, the 72 on one port and split the 168 between two more ports. 

You can pixel pack more tightly but it won't save a port.

As far as the sequencer is concerned, as long as you tell it what is connected to which ID and the correct number of pixels, it should be fine. You will do that in the Preview in S5.

You can arrange a grid view group (or groups) any way you wish for sequencing purposes.

Ok that’s what I was thinking of doing. For the strings that aren’t a full sting of 100. Would I cut the pixels off the end of what would you guys suggest? 

Stop thinking in terms of string lights for pixels.. A pixel is a pixel, Cut them from anywhere, and solder the remnants back together for a future prop.

If you happened to have 33 single pixels, and the time and patience,  you could solder them together for a prop.

Be sure to always observe the directionality for in and out as indicated on the pixel circuit board.

1 hour ago, JRB said:

Ok that’s what I was thinking of doing. For the strings that aren’t a full sting of 100. Would I cut the pixels off the end of what would you guys suggest? 

If they are LOR pixels, I recommend you just leave them hang (or bundle them up).  If you cut your strings, you void the warranty.

• The topic was locked