Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D Controller, only for flood lights?

Star Lord

Hi, 

During the last sale this year, I logged on a little and the items I really wanted were sold out.  As an impulse buy, I purchased the 10W RGB Flood Plug-n-Show Package.   I'm not sure if I really want to use the floods after all in my show.  

My question is (and it's probably a stupid one), can I swap out the flood lights with, for example,  a string of 50 square pixels (ws2811\12v) using the CMB24D controller?

Thanks,

James

trans_1x1.gif  
Edited by Star Lord

No, but floods are absolutely the best bang for the buck to add some more awe affects to your show.

JR

• Like 2

You can also use a port (connection) as 3  independent mono-chrome channels. I drive my candy-cane spinner with 3 channels. I use 2 channels for ghost hands for Halloween.

Bottom line: You are not limited to RGB (dumb) devices, just  the bank voltage. 💡 I would use a 'Catch' diode on any inductive (eg relay) load.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, TheDucks said:

I would use a 'Catch' diode on any inductive (eg relay) load.

There goes those low flying airplanes again.  haha!  When people use the real words, daddy gets confused! haha

17 hours ago, BluMan said:

There goes those low flying airplanes again.  haha!  When people use the real words, daddy gets confused! haha

A 'Catch' diode is simply a diode,  backwards (to normal current flow) across a DC powered coil. Inductors hate change, and will try and generate voltage from a collapsing internal field. This 'spike' can kill electronics, thus the reason to 'catch' and clamp it.

I never heard them called a "catch" diode.  In all my years of electrical engineering I called them flyback diodes or snubber diodes.  From Wikipedia:

This diode is known by many other names, such as kickback diode, snubber diode, commutating diode, freewheeling diode, suppression diode, clamp diode, or catch diode.

A 12 volt DC relay can generate a voltage in excess of 500 volts - and as Mr. D said - will likely kill any electronics attached to it.  They are most effective connected directly across the coil and not at the other end of a 50 foot wire.