Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Data Logging Software?

LOR Staff

Anyone know of any reasonable (or free) software that can record a DMX data stream packet by packet and let me view the data per channel?

We have a customer that is having an issue with DMX.  To us it seems like the data being sent every frame is changing causing issues.  We are trying to figure out where the data is going wrong -- if it is his equipment or not (since the data is going through an E1.31 to DMX bridge)

I know I could write something myself, but I really don't have time at the moment and would rather grab something off the shelf.

Basically I want to use our USB to USB485 adapter as a DMX adapter (which I should be able to do), to 'sniff' what is happening on the DMX line (packet by packet, channel by channel).

@DevMike

Not sure if this will work, but it's for the comm/serial port. Which is what the USB adapter is if I am not mistaken.

https://freeserialanalyzer.com/

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+to+sniff+a+comm+port

Edited by gsmith37064

I appreciate the try!

I can get the raw data off the line (or I should be able to, I haven't actually done that yet).  What I need is a DMX protocol analyzer.  Something that once it gets the data off the serial port it can turn it into meaningful labeled data by channel with timestamps, etc.  

It is starting to look like I may have to write my own.  Hey, maybe a new product for LOR to sell :)

WireShark will grab it at the E1.31 point.  I don't know of anything that can grab it at RS-485.

12 hours ago, k6ccc said:

WireShark will grab it at the E1.31 point.  I don't know of anything that can grab it at RS-485.

Yup.  I got the E1.31 stuff all sorted out.  It was the RS485 side I needed the help with.

In the end the issue I was working on was not data related, it's hardware.  But you know the drill:  when all you have is a hammer (programmer) every problem you see is a nail (data).  I may still have to write something in the future, since it would have been a big help.

Thanks to everyone who went looking and tried to help.

• This topic was locked, unlocked and locked