Jump to content

10 commandments of electrical safety


Recommended Posts

Something I found awhile ago from another group of another hobby. 

 

Ten Commandments of Electrical Safety

(1) Beware of the lightning that lurks in an undischarged capacitor lest it cause thee to be bounced upon thy backside in a most ungainly manner.

(2) Cause thou the switch that supplies large quantities of juice to be opened and thusly tagged, so thy days may be long on this earthly vale of tears.

(3) Prove to thyself that all circuits that radiateth and upon which thou worketh are grounded lest they lift thee to high-frequency potential and cause thee to radiate also.

(4) Take care thou useth the proper method when thou taketh the measure of high-voltage circuits so that thou doth not incinerate both thee and the meter, for verily though thou hast no account number and canst be easily replaced, the meter doth have one and as a consequence bringeth much woe upon the supply department.

(5)Tarry thee not amongst those who engage in intentional shocks for they are surely non-believers and are not long for this world.

(6) Take care thou tampereth not with interlocks and safety devices, for this incureth the wrath of thy seniors and bringeth the fury of the safety officer down upon thy head and shoulders.

(7) Work thee not on energized equipment, for if thou doeth, thy mates will surely be buying lunch without thee and thy space at the table will be filled by another.

(8) Verily, verily I say unto thee, never service high-voltage equipment alone, for electric cooking is a slothful process, and thou might sizzle in thy own fat for hours on end before thy Maker sees fit to end thy misery and drag thee into His fold.

(9) Trifle thee not with radioactive tubes and substances lest thou commence to glow in the dark like a lightning bug.

(10) Commit thee to memory the works of the prophets, which are written in the instruction books, which giveth the straight info and which consoleth thee, and thou cannot make mistakes.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the old TVs.

However some of the stuff I worked on does have capacitors but easily discharged with a screwdriver across the contacts.

JR

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, TitusCarnathan said:

I found that gem from a ham radio group, and sadly I do know people that will partake in #5 on that list. 

The kids who used to lick 9v batteries for fun? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 1:33 PM, dansamy said:

The kids who used to lick 9v batteries for fun? 

For fun?  Why that's only to be sure that 9V battery has enough power to function within the device it is intended for.🤣:wacko:😛

And to the original post that started this topic, loved it! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Orville said:

For fun?  Why that's only to be sure that 9V battery has enough power to function within the device it is intended for.🤣:wacko:😛

And to the original post that started this topic, loved it! :)

I knew some who would lick them for fun because they liked how it felt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Learn the proper care to take if you need to bend any of the rules (EXCEPT #7 ☠️ . IMHO there is no reason to ever do this).

(Old tube era Radar tech here. B+ and higher)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 12:39 PM, TheDucks said:

Learn the proper care to take if you need to bend any of the rules (EXCEPT #7 ☠️ . IMHO there is no reason to ever do this).

(Old tube era Radar tech here. B+ and higher)

 

 

I don't know about that.  I know some professional A/C techs that repair and service A/C units for a living and quite a lot of them have stated that the power must be energized to perform a lot of their checks on them.  And that is usually 240VAC.  Not something I'd want to mess with, but maybe these guys just want to live dangerously?  I'm no A/C tech, so can't say if this is truly valid, if it is, just glad I'm not them!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Working on an energised  250kV power line from a helicopter is not exactly a safe thing to do either.

Just remember to ground before getting off! If it’s like Army copters.

JR

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:12 PM, Orville said:

I don't know about that.  I know some professional A/C techs that repair and service A/C units for a living and quite a lot of them have stated that the power must be energized to perform a lot of their checks on them.  And that is usually 240VAC.  Not something I'd want to mess with, but maybe these guys just want to live dangerously?  I'm no A/C tech, so can't say if this is truly valid, if it is, just glad I'm not them!

Yes depending on what equipment you're working on and what you're trying to check/test. Sometimes it needs to be done while energized. You just have to follow NFPA70E safety guidelines, and only work energized if necessary. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...