Light-O-Rama Forums

USB problem

nickp001

Windows XP SP3 & LORII with USB to Serial adapter

After upgrading to LORII, the hardward utility could not find my controller. I checked the Windows device manager and noticed that the USB device is not recognized. I then downloaded and installed the new drivers, plugged the USB cable back in and the Windows "New Hardware Found" utility started. I ran throught the utility and it tells me that it can't find the right driver for my hardware. I also tried the older drivers as per the instructions on the download page.

Isn't the USB adapter supposed to be plug-and-play? If so, why would the "New Hardware" utility be starting up? Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can get these drivers installed and get Windows to recognize my USB device?

Thanks,

Nick

The USB485 should have come with a set drivers on CD.... The USB485B does require those drivers to work. The drivers are not distriibuted by Microsoft with thier operating systems so the USB485B is not an unassisted plug-n-play. If you had more than one of them the second one would be plug-n-play because the drivers would be installed.

I recommend that you remove the FTDI USB Drivers (FTDI is the USB chip used by LOR) and reinstall. Use the attached trouble shooting guide. On pages 8 thru 10 (I think) there are instructions on how to uninstall and reinstall.... Follow those instructions exactly and make sure the USB devices are unpluged from the PC.

Dan

Attached files RS485_Adapter_Troubleshooting.pdf

Thanks Dan,

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers a few times. I purchased the USB Serial Converter a few years ago it appears that the new drivers aren't compatible. From what I can tell, using the USBView tool, the VID on my defice is 067B and the PID is 2303. The .inf files supplied with the drivers I downloaded from your site appear to be expecting a VID of 0403 and a PID of 6001. I manually changed the .inf files to reflect my device specifications and was able to install the drivers successfully. However, the hardware utility still isn't seeing my controller.

When I looked in my device manager I noticed that my USB Serial Converter is installed under my Universal Serial Bus controllers but not listed under the ports section as a com port.

okay (a little light bulb goes off )....

Do you have a ( LOR USB485 or a LOR USB485B ) ... OR do you have USB-Serial adapter that you connect to a LOR SC485?

From the description of the VID and PID those are not LOR USB485 adapters.

Dan....

Well, I don't really know what the difference is, but I think I have the one that connects to the SC485 adapter. I thought that I purchased it from you, but I could be mistaken. I do know that it worked at one point in time.

Ok, I figured it out. I used the USBView utility and found out that the manufacturer of the USB Serial Converter is Prolific Technology, Inc. I went to their website, downloaded and installed the driver and now everything is working as expected.

Just in case anybody else runs into this problem, here's a link to the driver download:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Thanks!