Light-O-Rama Forums

RBG Pixel Arches

Mscannic

So we are expanding into RBG Pixels this year with leaping arches!  We got the controller last Christmas and it is the Assembled 16 Pixel 12V box and we had the dangles installed.  So we purchased kit from another company to help us with creating the arches and the dangles they provided don't fit the LOR dangles.  We then ordered some different dangles from WOW lights and they don't fit either.  I'm assuming if we can find the right size dangle then we can make it work, but I'm not sure what size or where to order the right parts - any ideas? 

If you are getting into pixels then I highly recommend upgrading your license to a minimum of Advanced level

• Like 1

When you say dangles, I assume you mean connectors.  When it comes to connectors there is an endless list of types and sizes.  My advice, and it's how I do it, find a provider of connectors and stick with them for all purchases.  When I buy Pixel Strands or Strips, I opt for ones with no connectors, then solder my own on.  I happen to get my connectors from DIYLedexpress.  Are they the best, I don't know, but the work great for me.  I bought a stock pile of male and female connectors and a bunch of extensions, for any future projects I can solder them onto.

Edited by Little_b
spelling
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mscannic said:

So we are expanding into RBG Pixels this year with leaping arches!  We got the controller last Christmas and it is the Assembled 16 Pixel 12V box and we had the dangles installed.  So we purchased kit from another company to help us with creating the arches and the dangles they provided don't fit the LOR dangles.  We then ordered some different dangles from WOW lights and they don't fit either.  I'm assuming if we can find the right size dangle then we can make it work, but I'm not sure what size or where to order the right parts - any ideas? 

A couple of options that I can think of.  Noe depending on your comfort level and soldering skills, this could be very easy or very difficult for you to do.

Option #1: If the RGB lights have the same wiring scheme as a LOR dangle to connect the RGB Lights, you can buy the 12V Extender cables and cut the connectors off the end of the RGB Lights you purchased and cut the Extender Cable leaving enough wire to solder the mating LOR connector to your RGB light strand.   But you'll need to know the wiring scheme for your RGB Lights and the LOR RGB Controller to make they mate and match up properly.    Otherwise you may damage your RGB Light strand and/or the controller as well.

This is the LOR 12V Extender cable in Green, it's 5 foot long.  Here's the link to it: Ext-12V-3Pin-Green-5ft $3.99

Like stated, you could cut the above so it could be soldered to your RGB strand, this would give you a mated connector if your controller already has the LOR Connectors {dangles} installed.  You'll need one of these cable for each strand of RGB light strands you have and cut the original company dangle{connector} off that doesn't mate with the LOR ones.

Option #2: Buy the mating connector/s{dangle/s} from the company you bought the RGB Lights from and then unsolder all the LOR dangles from your controller and solder the mating connector that fits your current RGB light strand to the LOR RGB Controller.  But you still need to know the wiring diagram{pinout} of your RGB strand so you don't damage them or your controller.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this type of rework/modification, try and find someone local to you that may be able to help you out, but it may cost you some money or it might not cost you anything to get it done, depending on who you can find near you to help you with this.

Good Luck.

Get good at soldering.  On the vast majority of my both smart and dumb RGB strings or strips, I have wire soldered to the first light and the other end of the wire has the little 4 wire green connector that plugs into the mating connector on the controller PC board for pixels or female spade lugs to connect with the male spade connectors on a CMB-16 for dumb RGB.  If a string of pixels comes with connectors, I normally remove them.  There are two exceptions.  First is my six strings of original LOR CCPs which have a hardwired pigtail for each string that comes out of the top of the controller box.  The second exception is my eves and roofline GE Color Effects lights are mounted to wood or PVC strips and stay mounted for off-season storage.  Each strip is 7-9 feet long and there are connectors to connect the next strip.  However from the controller to the first pixel is wire that is soldered to the pigtail from that first pixel and has the little green controller connector on the other end.

Best to find a company that has the connectors you like and change them on all of your controllers. That is what I do. Stick with that company and watch for their sales.

I had to discover this the hard way with my very first pixie16 controller build. LOR did not offer the connectors at that time.

JR

• The topic was locked