Light-O-Rama Forums

having trouble importing or exporting channel config

Greg

Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if I have a bad file floating around but here is the issue I am having.

I need to modify a exisiting sequence to add more channels. I add the channels, then set up names/channels etc in the channel property grid. I then am exporting the channel config. When I get to my next sequence and attempt to import the channel setup, it doesn't seem to import or import properly. Has anyone else seen this?

Yup I had that problem the other day and I keep experimenting. Suddenly it worked and i don't know what i did to fix it.

The funny thing is I know it was working fine a few months ago, because I did the same thing then. I have been messing around for the last couple of days but haven't figured it out. I guess I will keep messing around with it. Let me know if you recall the steps you did to fix it.

greg

one thing I did think of, it seems to work fine if creating a new sequence or if it had been a sequence that has been started in the last two weeks.

Are you getting some sort of message when trying to import?

I have had an error message a few times, can't remember now what it was. I could go in and delete all the tracks except for the one that has ALL the tracks in it and then I could import the channel config just fine.

Do either the sequence that you exported from or the sequence you imported to have multiple tracks?

If so, you have to be careful that they share channels in the same order as each other (e.g. if the third channel in the first track of the first sequence is the same as the seventh channel in the second track of the first sequence, then the third channel in the first track of the second sequence better be the same as the seventh channel of the second track of the second sequence). Otherwise, import probably won't work as you expect.

For details (including an explanation of what to do if your channels don't match up in this order), please see the following in the help file:

The Light-O-Rama Software Package / Sequence Editor / The Menu Bar / The Edit Menu / Export and Impot Channel Configuration / Important Note

Please let me know if you have any questions about this. Or, if it does not seem to describe the problem you're having, if you could please send me copies of (1) the sequence you're trying to import to, BEFORE you import to it, (2) the sequence you exported from, and (3) the channel config file you're trying to import from, I would appreciate it.

Have you checked the bottom of the sequence? In my old sequences when I import the new channels it places it at the bottom and the old channels are at the top. I believe if that is the case you will have o copy and paste your events then delete the old channels.

Bob explained it to me, I thought I had all my bases covered but I messed something up somewhere along the lines and it caused the problem. Here is what bob told me

"It doesn't look like the shared channels are in the exact same order in the channel config file as they are in the sequence you're trying to import to. In order for import to work correctly, they have to be that way.

For example, in the channel config file, the first channel in the second track (which is one of the channels called "BEAT CHANNEL") is also present in the first track (it's the 63rd channel in the first track, if I counted correctly). So in order for import to work as expected, the first channel in the second track of the sequence has to also be present as the 63rd channel of the first track of the sequence.

But in the sequence file, the first channel in the second track is not present in the first track at all.

Discrepancies like this will cause import not to work as expected"

Hope this helps anyone having similar problems.