Light-O-Rama Forums

32 to 64 bit OS

dgrant

Any ideas on when/if LOR will offer and take advantage of a 64 bit OS? Yes, understood that they are probably accommodating older machines that only supported 32 bit OS but an installer could identify the type and select the proper output. Yes, I also understand that 64 bit requires a lot of software alterations to allow for the larger arrays(software internal), indexes and etc...

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/18/2019 at 8:26 AM, dgrant said:

Any ideas on when/if LOR will offer and take advantage of a 64 bit OS? Yes, understood that they are probably accommodating older machines that only supported 32 bit OS but an installer could identify the type and select the proper output. Yes, I also understand that 64 bit requires a lot of software alterations to allow for the larger arrays(software internal), indexes and etc...

We have had serious issues ourselves with 32 bit.  With as many channels as we have with hundreds of dmx universes it can take an hour to make a minor change and save and sometimes will crash inadvertently.  Software is sluggish, unresponsive and unreliable.  I resorted to creating new content in xlights and then migrating it over and cutting and pasting in but even that is a nightmare.  I don't want to convert over to Xlights entirely because we have so much already in LOR.  If LOR doesn't get their act together, next year we will be on Xlights.  I was recompiling software from 32 bit to 64 bit over 10 years ago with almost no hassle, nowadays most of the compilers will handle just about everything for you.  It's kindof a joke,  I started programming on LOR for a friend over10 years ago and always laughed about how arcane the software was, but now we're on S5 and its heavily updated but not really much better, it's really not a laughing matter anymore.  I have spent ridiculous hours on this thing for the silly fact that the software is not up to par.  Shoot Apple is forcing everyone to 64 bit, I wish LOR was writing software for apple because they would have got the picture already.

I've written a lot of code using NI LabVIEW. Within, I've converted lots of code to 64 bit from older versions and the software's response was outstanding. Looking forward, its not going to be long before we see the arrival of 128 Bit home computers and actually Intel and AMD could start working on them now if they aren't already. Having the hardware capability means nothing if the programmers don't take advantage of it. For LOR, all they would need to do is allow for their installer code to identify the machine type and then install the correct version. Yes, before that, there would be two software packages, 32 and 64 bit types and that second package there would be lots of internal changes to the array structures and so on. The result would be LOR's software running at 2X-4X the speed it is now at a minimum and possibly a lot faster than that.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know...they don't say anything about it. I wish they would offer a 64bit version the 32bit is slow and performance is lacking. I guess we should be glad it's not 16bit lol

• The topic was locked