Light-O-Rama Forums

Flourescent Black Lights with LOR

Guest guest

well I know the LOR manual says to use incadescent lights only. But is it okay to use Florescent lights if we don't try to fade or twinkle or any of that fancy stuff?

I would just have it either be on or off, and it would be for a long enough period of time that it shouldn't cause problems with the light.

I want to use some Flourescent Black Lights for Halloween so just want to make sure that is okay

thanks

Question: What are you doing with your halloween display? Like are you doing it to a song(s) or... I know I'm really nosey but i love halloween as much as christmas. :P

You are going to be using the black light "bar" or os it like a screw in light bulb type?

My thought is it would be ok if you just have it turn on and off, but thats just my thouhgt. I would contact dan if you can....

yes I am doing some creepy music sequence and I have a giant spider that is blacklight responsive and I want to light him up during certain parts of the song. It is a long 2ft bar blacklight that I got at Home depot. I expect it should work fine as long as the power to it is either on or off.

do any of you know if there is such thing as black light mini-lights?

thanks

I think that there is such thing as mini black lights, but i don't think that they work real well because they are so small. I know that there are c7 black lights and they do not work as black lights but great for dimming an area. I worked at a haunted house and they took c7 black lights used them along the walkway. They are bright enough to see, but not too too bright. Also at the haunted house we built a large spider out of chciken wire and some cheap furry fabric from walmart. We surrounded it with neon spider webs and had three (18 inches?) black lights around it. We also took styrofoam head and put them on a upside tomato cage and wrapped the tomato cages in white fabric. This gave teh effect that people were stuck in side the web. I attached some pics of it. Also are you doing just they yard or a haunted house. I have many pics of the haunted house that i did if you want to see to get so ideas. If you have anyquestions just ask me!! O YA ignore the date cuz it was a new camera and i forgot to change the date!

Attached files 42472=2508-spider 2.jpg

superphred wrote:

yes I am doing some creepy music sequence and I have a giant spider that is blacklight responsive and I want to light him up during certain parts of the song. It is a long 2ft bar blacklight that I got at Home depot. I expect it should work fine as long as the power to it is either on or off.

do any of you know if there is such thing as black light mini-lights?

thanks

All I have seen are purple and orange mini lights. I dought black light mini lights would work.

superphred wrote:

well I know the LOR manual says to use incadescent lights only. But is it okay to use Florescent lights if we don't try to fade or twinkle or any of that fancy stuff?

I would just have it either be on or off, and it would be for a long enough period of time that it shouldn't cause problems with the light.

I want to use some Flourescent Black Lights for Halloween so just want to make sure that is okay

thanks

I would not use a LOR channel for that, as you really can't effectively dim, fade, or twinkle fluorescents. Why not use an X-10 outlet instead?

Also remember also that fluorescents have a harder time firing up when its very cold outside. I don't know where you live, so really can't offer any more advice on that point.

Greg

superphred wrote:

Actually, Florescent don't very much current when they're on so the TRIAC drops out. They just flicker on and off. Sometimes fast enough that you don't see it, but they burn out in a very short time. The solution is just like LED's, just put an icandecent in parallel and it will work just fine. Hide a C7 some where and black it out.

ErnieHorning wrote:

superphred wrote:

Actually, Florescent don't very much current when they're on so the TRIAC drops out. They just flicker on and off. Sometimes fast enough that you don't see it, but they burn out in a very short time. The solution is just like LED's, just put an icandecent in parallel and it will work just fine. Hide a C7 some where and black it out.

thanks! that's a good idea. I will try it out.

sorry I didn't properly introduce myself. I'm Female, 27, and in Orange County, California, so the cold is not an issue. I live in an apartment complex, so my display will be small compared to many of yours, only 16 channels.

I only get about 10 trick-or-treaters every year, so we'll see if this helps any

thanks

Charlene (Phred)

superphred wrote:

ErnieHorning wrote:
superphred wrote:

thanks! that's a good idea. I will try it out.

sorry I didn't properly introduce myself. I'm Female, 27, and in Orange County, California, so the cold is not an issue. I live in an apartment complex, so my display will be small compared to many of yours, only 16 channels.

I only get about 10 trick-or-treaters every year, so we'll see if this helps any

thanks

Charlene (Phred)

just to let you know the incandestant bulbs dont give off uv energy like the bars. so you will not get the effect your looking for.at the halloween site we found that the best would be a servo controlled,flaps to let the light in and out.

superphred wrote:

thanks

Charlene (Phred)

Hey superphred,

I'm superted. :cool:

TED (TED)