Light-O-Rama Forums

PIXIE16 lights not responding from G3-MP3

orchidman

I am experiencing 2 problems that have me stumped.  The first is needing to add a second USB-Com to my system.  Win7 Pro.  The existing port that I have been using for ever is COM4.  I now need a second one and google help, Win7 help are no help at adding a second one.  I down loaded the RS-485 Driver from LOR and ran it per the support page instructions.  No second port.  If we have a Win7 hardware guru out there that can help me, I would appreciate it.

Now the real stumper.  My new PIXIE16 - Pixie Tree and Pixie Star will not respond from the G3-MP3.
I am sure it is some setting that I don't have right but can't figure it out.  I migrated from Sequencer 3 to the current 5.2.4 Pro with Superstar 24.  Everything ran fine with the migration which all ran on the REG network on the G3-MP3.  The whole reason for upgrading to S5 was to add a Pixel tree.  A new Pixie16 just came in.  I configured the NP with Regular : None : 57.6K : blank for Enhanced.  Aux A COM 4 : 115.4K : Enhanced on.
With HU  I changed the ID from 01 (switches off) to 1E. Unit 1E - Pixie16 Ver 1.04. Config : Cosmic Color/Pixie Config : Advanced, the strings are WS2812B so the WS2811 (800Khz) was selected, 150 Pixels Per Port, 50 Pixels Logical Resolution.  Ports 1 - 8 have 150 pixel RGB (WS2812B) strings attached and required GRB settings for the correct colors. Port 9 had had a 100 pixel RGB string attached, RGB.  Nothing attached to 10 - 16.  With a USB485B attached to COM4, all the strings tested correctly for color, etc.  I hope I have covered all the little points in my configuration.
With S5, I was able to run the old sequence properly on the REG network before adding the new Pixel props and second network.  I created the Pixel tree thru Preview Design.   Lights RGB Pixels, Motion Effect Rows (1), Strings 8, Nodes per String 150, folds 1, Channels LOR, Enter channel on first row, auto-number the rest, Separate unit # for each RGB string checked.  Network Aux A, the Unit # 0E thru 15 for the 8 strings.  With Jim's help (thank you again) I added the Pixel Stars Nested, RGB with 3 starts, all Network Aux A, Unit # 16, starting circuit 1, 151 and 241.
Playing the sequence in Preview Playback showed everything working great, Control Lights off.
The problem starts with trying to "Create Playback Files".  If in NP, Reg is COM4 and Aux A is none, it will give the error that there are enhanced Props, change or remove.  However if I reverse them, Reg is none and Aux A is COM4, the Playback Files are created.  Building the show on the SD card, Reg network Enhanced unchecked, Aux A Enhanced checked.  Playing it give the following:
Network Reg has a CTB16PCG3 and a CCB attached to it and lights function properly.
Network Aux A has a CTB16PCG3 and the PIXIE16.  Lights attached to the CTB16PCG3 work fine, but I get nothing from the PIXIE16.  Light on the card is steady Red.  I know cable connections are correct as the lights function properly from the HU.

Any ideas what I have set incorrectly?

Just plug the new RS485 adaptor into another USB port and it should show up in device manager under ports next to the existing com 4. The drivers are already there for the first one so nothing else should be needed. Do a complete shutdown before you plug in the new adaptor just to make sure you have a clean slate.

Can't help with the pixie stuff. Don't use them.

Each USB adapter will have its own COM# (💡 If you have more than 1 of a LOR type, label it as to NET letter. Windows will remember each units USB devices HW ID)

The HU should find all COM ports (some may be non-LOR), Those are the COM ID's you use to map which network ID to the dongle. Those WILL change if you switch PC's

Pixie16 might run from HU on a standars (black) adapter, but Pixies need to be 500K+

Thanks for the replies.  Don't have a second RS485 YET!  Will get it coming my way Monday.  So it sounds like it is a basic Plun-N-Play for the second adapter.  Logical BUT 🤓  who said anything with Windows is logical.

On the Pixel side, checked the firmware for the G3-MP3 and it is 5.26.  The latest on the web is 5.38.  As LOR says more then once, don't upgrade unless you have to.  I am wondering if I have to?

Edited by orchidman

Windows will assign the com port WHEN you plug it in. You don't pre assign it, so yes, plug and pray.

1 hour ago, orchidman said:

Thanks for the replies.  Don't have a second RS485 YET!  Will get it coming my way Monday.  So it sounds like it is a basic Plun-N-Play for the second adapter.  Logical BUT 🤓  who said anything with Windows is logical.

On the Pixel side, checked the firmware for the G3-MP3 and it is 5.26.  The latest on the web is 5.38.  As LOR says more then once, don't upgrade unless you have to.  I am wondering if I have to?

Read or watch my video in the General Hardware section stickies at the top Pixie16 Configuration

You will find your answer.

Also as someone has mentioned, you can use the standard black RS485 adapter with a pixie16 and with all of my research I have only had luck running pixies 4/8/16 with the 500k “enhanced” network.

I bet you did not check “enhanced” while setting up your network.

Also HU means absolutely nothing once initial set up is complete. It has no bearing on how your controllers will react to a sequence and lights playing during that sequence. It’s only a tool for assigning IDs and other properties to the device. 

JR

I'm a little confused.  You are talking about adding a second USB port on your computer, but you keep tossing in a G3-MP3 into the discussion.  If you are using the computer to control the lights, you don't need the G3-MP3.  On the other hand, if you are controlling the lights with a G3-MP3, you don't need the second USB adapter.

So what are you trying to accomplish?

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I'm a little confused.  You are talking about adding a second USB port on your computer, but you keep tossing in a G3-MP3 into the discussion.  If you are using the computer to control the lights, you don't need the G3-MP3.  On the other hand, if you are controlling the lights with a G3-MP3, you don't need the second USB adapter.

So what are you trying to accomplish?

Setup outside for Christmas, the lights will be run with the G3-MP3.  NO computer.

Testing right now inside, I want to be able to do both.  During development, I don't want to have to create an SD show every time I make a small change.  Yes it shows up in the Preview Playback but sometimes I want to see it on the real thing.  I have a large room where I have the basics of the Pixel tree setup and I want to be able to see some of the effects as I build some effects.  Pixels are the new addition so that is where I am putting all my time right now.  Want to get the basics down before I upgrade all of my sequences and add new ones.

Just play using the computer until your ready, then copy to SD card and run with G3-MP3.

Thats what I have done for the last 5 years. Works great.

11 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Read or watch my video in the General Hardware section stickies at the top Pixie16 Configuration

Also as someone has mentioned, you can use the standard black RS485 adapter with a pixie16 and with all of my research I have only had luck running pixies 4/8/16 with the 500k “enhanced” network.

I bet you did not check “enhanced” while setting up your network.

JR

JR, thanks for the input.

Several days ago, I downloaded your vid via Youtube and printed out the checklist.  Have gone through it so many times, think I have it memorized.

As mentioned in my post, in NP, "Regular : None : 57.6K : blank for Enhanced.  Aux A COM 4 : 115.4K : Enhanced on" and when creating the SD card, Reg port the Enhanced is not checked and for Aux A, by default it is checked.  In the Prop Definition for the Pixel tree, the Motion Effect Rows (1) shows.  I have since changed the speed to 500K on the Aux A with no improvement.

Where else is there an Enhanced option that I might have left unchecked?

This afternoon, I will go through the full vid/check list again and create a new sequence that only uses the Pixel tree, all on one network and see if anything changes.

34 minutes ago, orchidman said:

JR, thanks for the input.

Several days ago, I downloaded your vid via Youtube and printed out the checklist.  Have gone through it so many times, think I have it memorized.

As mentioned in my post, in NP, "Regular : None : 57.6K : blank for Enhanced.  Aux A COM 4 : 115.4K : Enhanced on" and when creating the SD card, Reg port the Enhanced is not checked and for Aux A, by default it is checked.  In the Prop Definition for the Pixel tree, the Motion Effect Rows (1) shows.  I have since changed the speed to 500K on the Aux A with no improvement.

Where else is there an Enhanced option that I might have left unchecked?

This afternoon, I will go through the full vid/check list again and create a new sequence that only uses the Pixel tree, all on one network and see if anything changes.

After re reading during my reply I may have found your problem.

Do not skip the regular network in NP or HU. I have experienced this assisting others.

Do yourself a favor and for S&G’S change all you have in Aux A to the regular and I bet you have lights.

Let me know if this works- it should.

If not shoot me a PM with a cell # and I will text to check if you are able to speak with me.

I don’t know S5 but have assisted others that knew S5.

*** this will require you to unplug your adapter and change ports until you find the Regular network.

*** Future reference

If you plan on using a computer to run your show I would suggest in the future to purchase a USB Hub adapter. I use the BlackWeb 7’s found at Walmart but you can get them cheaper on Amazon since you probably have time.

Prob around $20 each now

If you buy the hub adapter you can label each port to your networks to eliminate the guesswork. I have 13 networks.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks JR,

Several things to look at/change and test so it may be Monday evening before I reply with any results.

Gary

1 minute ago, orchidman said:

Thanks JR,

Several things to look at/change and test so it may be Monday evening before I reply with any results.

Gary

No problem, slow and steady wins the race. But I would start with just setting it all up on Reg 500K enhanced. Leave Aux A alone. Once you have all lights on Reg network you will then be able to just transfer some over to Aux A if needed.

JR

Regular is just LOR's name for the first Network. It can be for whatever (adapter) you need . Com numbers can be almost anything (3 and 4 were the standards for Serial ports or builtin Modems)

Mine are 12,13,14 for LOR

46 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Regular is just LOR's name for the first Network. It can be for whatever (adapter) you need . Com numbers can be almost anything (3 and 4 were the standards for Serial ports or builtin Modems)

Mine are 12,13,14 for LOR

Yes, however while helping others in pixie setup if you skip regular (first network) you will have no lights. 

Meaning “regular” and “none” will not work. Now regular with anything and then Aux A and all will have lights. You cannot skip the first network, don’t ask me why and don’t ask if any other controllers. I don’t know that but it doesn’t work while setting up pixies. 

I have written that before someplace.

Im sure the OP will reply once he tests this.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Last night before I learned about the com port assignments (Plug-N-Pray) I moved the USB cable for the 485 around trying to see what was going on.  Guess I messed things up a bunch.  Maybe not enough praying 😯.  Now the CL wants to open COM2 in a never ending loop, until I plug the 485 back in and the CL listener instantly finds it on COM4 which is where it has always been before.  Unplug it and CL goes back into the never ending loop looking for COM2.  Everything works from HU in test turning on any of the lights.  NP is set for Reg COM4 Enhanced and Aux A to none.

Anyway, with the 485 plugged in, and what had been on the Aux A moved to the Reg network, so now everything is on the Reg, I now get nothing even on the CTB16PCG3s that are in the network which had worked before.  I think I am going to punt until tomorrow and submit a trouble ticket and see if LOR can help me first get the COM ports working correct, then maybe address what else is causing all the problems for me.

Frustration in OKC

Gary

38 minutes ago, orchidman said:

Last night before I learned about the com port assignments (Plug-N-Pray) I moved the USB cable for the 485 around trying to see what was going on.  Guess I messed things up a bunch.  Maybe not enough praying 😯.  Now the CL wants to open COM2 in a never ending loop, until I plug the 485 back in and the CL listener instantly finds it on COM4 which is where it has always been before.  Unplug it and CL goes back into the never ending loop looking for COM2.  Everything works from HU in test turning on any of the lights.  NP is set for Reg COM4 Enhanced and Aux A to none.

Anyway, with the 485 plugged in, and what had been on the Aux A moved to the Reg network, so now everything is on the Reg, I now get nothing even on the CTB16PCG3s that are in the network which had worked before.  I think I am going to punt until tomorrow and submit a trouble ticket and see if LOR can help me first get the COM ports working correct, then maybe address what else is causing all the problems for me.

Frustration in OKC

Gary

Are you using S4 or S5?

You have to set your NP for the regular (first port).

You are chasing comm ports.

Restart everything. In HU do not touch the top left “refresh” button. If you are using that for any reason at your stage you will chase the comm port until you have no hair in your head.

Why don’t you give yourself a break and give me a call tomorrow if you can. Just text first. No support ticket needed.

I will walk you through the process. You have my number. Please text first.  

Really like to see the LOR Network on comm 3. But it’s an easy fix.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

JR,

Using S5

I have my REG port set to Extended because of the Pixie16 is on it.  Thought that was needed.  Will change it to not enhanced and see what happens.

Yes chasing comm ports.  Never hit the "refresh" button but may have gotten there anyway because of changing the USB port on the back of the computer the 485 was plugged into.

I will be home a little after 12:30 our time and will give the Reg port change a try.  If you are available in the middle of the afternoon,  will probably be texting around 2pm

Thanks

Yes, the pixie needs to be 500k “enhanced”  on whatever network it is on.

I will be available all day. 

JR

On 6/3/2019 at 8:57 AM, dibblejr said:

L

I will be available all day. 

JR

Hello sir I haven't been on much and didn't realize you changed your picture. I've been scrolling past without noticing your old profile pic from last year LOL.