Light-O-Rama Forums

CCRs....In Parallel?

Boater227

My understanding is that you can address up to 170 pixels from each port of a Pixie 16.  I have successfully controlled 150 pixels from a single port using three CCRs in series with an injection of 12V at the junction between the last and second to last CCR.  Seems to work fine.

Here's the question...

Can I run two or more CCRs in parallel connected to the same Pixie 16 port?  If it works, obviously you would get the same lighting on one CCR that you get on the other(s), but can you address multiple CCRs using the same data wire output?  If so, what's the upper limit of the number of CCRs you could simultaneously run on the same port?

Thanks for your help.

I can't specifically answer about the Pixie, but the answer is yes you can parallel multiple strings.  I have tested this with WS2811 strips that were being driven by a SanDevices E682 controller.  I got as high as five strips paralleled with about a foot of wire between the controller and each strip.  It worked fine.  I would do detailed testing before assuming it is working.

BTW, my guess is that the official answer is not to do it...

2 things come to mind: 1)power budget (injection may be needed on 1 string) 2) String Timing (bucket brigade) behavior. Not a biggie if the strings are visually separate.

I agree with K6CCC:  The official answer is ....

Sounds like it's worth trying on a Pixie 2, so if I blow it up, the loss is not so great.  The follow-on question would be...does the data signal get regenerated between the point where it enters the CCR at one end and leaves at the other end?  My underlying hope here is that if adding more CCRs in series does not add more load at the output of the Pixie, then you could get at least 6 and maybe 9 or 12 CCRs controlled by a single port, as long as you had a separate 12V supply doing the powering of the CCRs wherever necessary. 

What do you think?

• The topic was locked