Light-O-Rama Forums

S4 or S5 upgrade

sysco

Using S3 right now but looking at S4 or S5 upgrade. I don't know which one, but this will be my last upgrade  ,what would you suggest  thank you

I think a renewal will get you to S5, but you could always run S4 if you wanted to.

If it were me , I would also get the upgrade to pro as it brings many advantages particularly for pixels.

8 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I think a renewal will get you to S5, but you could always run S4 if you wanted to.

If it were me , I would also get the upgrade to pro as it brings many advantages particularly for pixels.

Phil good point about pro upgrade thank you

I just didnt like S5, i prefered having the older style visualizer,, easier to design props. I went back to S4.3

• Like 2

If you don’t have pixels stick with 4, I tried 5 but didn’t like it much so I went back to 4.... 

S5 has a bit a learning curve to it, but once figured out I like it better.  I like having just one preview to deal with, especially when making changes or adding props.  You only have to do it once and not 2-3 times in 2-3 different programs, (SE, Viz, PE,)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with the majority here, S4 V4.4.4 Pro works just fine for me and my 5 RGB Controllers on a  High Speed Enhanced network adapter and my 4 CTB16PC ~AC~ Controllers are on the old USB485B network adapter.  And S4 handled all this very well for my 2018 displays with no issues.

Tried S5, didn't like it, too small for me, even though it can be made a bit larger, I just hated the format and trying to get it work by adding my lights, I could never get that to work at all, read everything, watched videos, gave up on it and went back to S4 and that's what I'm staying with as well.

I just find it much, much easier to sequence in S4 and have things work, I never could get S5 to do anything..

I'm going through the learning and converting process right now from S4 to S5. S5 is just a learning process and yes, its a lot different than S4. S4 was stable which is nice whereas S5, they are still fixing bugs. So far, S5 is nice, once you figure it out, which I'm not there yet...lol. With help, I'm learning all the "ways" of accomplishing what I need to do. I use to write software and I was also in the unique position of being a "user" of my own software, therefore I always found ways of improving things or making them easier for the regular user of my code. I'd then fix it. carefully and thoroughly test it, then release it. LOR does the same things and considering how complex this code is or might be, I can understand why it takes a while to get it more user friendly. S4 is easier to work with at this time but its more limited in its capabilities. S5 has more bells and whistles but the learning curve is considerable. I'm thinking....that once S5 is upgraded to the level that it becomes more user friendly, it'll be very good. I will use it this year and see how it goes, BUT, I have copies of all my S4 files and I can switch back if needed.

• 1 month later...
  • The topic was locked