Light-O-Rama Forums

Who all is going to the Christmas Expo in Daytona this July?

GriswoldStyle

4 minutes ago, Orville said:

ROFL.  Sounds like what they say about the Pastor of my Churchs' driving too.  And guess what, he also drives for Uber!  Uh Oh.....

And I've ridden with Uber for a few things, I have found many of their drivers very UNSAFE DRIVERS!  Texting while driving, talking on cell phone and ignoring their passengers anmd some of them are just HORRIBLE drivers.   So I'm not a big fan of their services!

Sister-in-law is blind (not the one in Orlando though that would explain her driving) and lives in Tucson.  She has done Uber and Lyft, says Lyft drivers are better and more respectful.

Just now, Orville said:

That'd be cool and would work well.

all you and your wife would need is your ID.

• 1 month later...

Been ignoring too many of these Expos, and biting the bullet this year.  Too expensive, but tired of saying, "Next year".  So, flying in from CO.  I'm not a regular here, but try to keep up in the Sequence Sharing forum.

Any of the sequence-sharing folks going to the Expo in Daytona Beach?

I'll be there Saturday thanks to Caniac's generosity. Pm me if you want to.

Chip

Sadly my plans may change. We are moving the beginning of next month so they may not let me have that Saturday off as I'm taking a week off for the move :(

we are headed to daytona this week and hope to make it in, Im sure its here somewhere but is there a vendor list? Thanks Don

We checked in just a few minutes ago. Waiting on a room number now. I'm not going to the RGB pre class tomorrow, but I am going to the LOR classes Tuesday and Wednesday. 

Well, 

I'm a dumb dumb. Didn't think to check my email and see if I needed anything other than my laptop. Yup. Should have brought a controller, dongle, lights. I DO have my laptop so there's that! 

Also are there any Video/Powerpoint/PDF presentations or materials on S5 floating around.

35 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Also are there any Video/Powerpoint/PDF presentations or materials on S5 floating around.

Phil, there is no central repository, as it is up to the individual instructors to post if they want. I would look at the curriculum and approach the instructor via email and ask for materials. 

With that said, all my material is posted on my Display Web page:

http://www.woodinvillewonderland.com/howto.htm

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zman said:

Phil, there is no central repository, as it is up to the individual instructors to post if they want. I would look at the curriculum and approach the instructor via email and ask for materials. 

With that said, all my material is posted on my Display Web page:

http://www.woodinvillewonderland.com/howto.htm

Phil -- Zman is correct, unfortunately.  However, I got the sense that those presentations done by LOR team members would be posted on the LOR website > Support > Tutorials & PDFs.  But, I don't see them up there yet.  Also, many of the non-LOR presenters, made their presentations available, either via website or via email request.

Zman -- job well done on your presentations.  Sorry I couldn't make all 6, but did enjoy the ones I was able to attend.  THANK YOU!

Education Committee -- Any thought on having some (if not all) of these topics repeated during the same Expo?  There are MANY sessions I wanted to attend, but couldn't because of other sessions at the same time, and just hoped I chose the right one.

9 hours ago, sysco said:

would like to hear  about what you saw , anything new pop up  thank you  

Sysco -- it's all a blur.  LOTS of great things.  I attended 2 of the 3 pre-show sessions, and those were great.  Any chance you get to take something from Drew Hickman -- DO!  I wanted to attend a lot of the S5 classes, but failed to due to other sessions going on.  They were all great, which really doesn't help you a lot.  There was the Moving Heads by Tom Betgeorge, Music's DNA (and sequencing) by Aubrey Kall, the … Holy Grail by Mark Z, Pixels in a Traditional Display by Darren Hufty, Your First Smart Pixel by Matt Brown, Intro to DMX by Kevin Thomas, Intro to Audacity by Jeff Oberst, Traditional Elements by Jeff Carter, etc.  

The Vendor Hall was great with LOR, xLights, Novelty Lights, Boscoyo, Christmas Past Sleight Co, Crockett Fantasy of Lights, BigStar Lights, Magical Light Shows, the large displays by Universal Concepts and Christmas Done Bright, Lori's Lighted D'Lites (wired frames), and more.

Sorry -- this probably doesn't help you any.  I liked what I saw, including many of the features in S5.

Not to be overlooked -- I enjoyed making a good number of personal connections with other Christmas enthusiasts, seeing what they do and how they do it, and learning from them.

A lot of great tips here and there, big and small.  I'm hoping to go through all my notes again this weekend, and formulate a game plan.

Anything specific you're looking for?

12 hours ago, rhino said:

Sysco -- it's all a blur.  LOTS of great things.  I attended 2 of the 3 pre-show sessions, and those were great.  Any chance you get to take something from Drew Hickman -- DO!  I wanted to attend a lot of the S5 classes, but failed to due to other sessions going on.  They were all great, which really doesn't help you a lot.  There was the Moving Heads by Tom Betgeorge, Music's DNA (and sequencing) by Aubrey Kall, the … Holy Grail by Mark Z, Pixels in a Traditional Display by Darren Hufty, Your First Smart Pixel by Matt Brown, Intro to DMX by Kevin Thomas, Intro to Audacity by Jeff Oberst, Traditional Elements by Jeff Carter, etc.  

The Vendor Hall was great with LOR, xLights, Novelty Lights, Boscoyo, Christmas Past Sleight Co, Crockett Fantasy of Lights, BigStar Lights, Magical Light Shows, the large displays by Universal Concepts and Christmas Done Bright, Lori's Lighted D'Lites (wired frames), and more.

Sorry -- this probably doesn't help you any.  I liked what I saw, including many of the features in S5.

Not to be overlooked -- I enjoyed making a good number of personal connections with other Christmas enthusiasts, seeing what they do and how they do it, and learning from them.

A lot of great tips here and there, big and small.  I'm hoping to go through all my notes again this weekend, and formulate a game plan.

Anything specific you're looking for?

Rhino   a lot of things to remember will look and see on their websites   thank you for your reply 

On 7/26/2019 at 9:08 PM, rhino said:

Education Committee -- Any thought on having some (if not all) of these topics repeated during the same Expo?  There are MANY sessions I wanted to attend, but couldn't because of other sessions at the same time, and just hoped I chose the right one.

Rhino, assembling the schedule is always an interesting activity. Repeating classes has been discussed, but not practical. When I have this situation, I have one of my buddies taking the class take good notes.....

• The topic was locked