Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Flood/Pixel help

Mike Anderson

Has anyone ever created a sequence for floods or CCR strips and have one channel go rouge?  That is the issue I am having with some of mine.  Contacted LOR Help.  They sent a new controller and I have the same issue.  It has been a week since the help desk has responded.

Basically the colors get out of sync on channel 6 of my floods.  White turns red, blue is green and red is pink.  I have deleted the whole sequence and rebuilt it and still the problem is there.  This is only on a few sequences which makes it even stranger.  its almost as if it is trying to play a different channel at the same time.  Verified the channel configuration is correct.

Anyone else ever see this or can offer a solution?  Its getting frustrating.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike.  I am the one working on your issue and I have not been able to duplicate it yet.  I'll update your ticket when I find something.

Please don't be upset, diagnosing these issues can take some time.

I do see one interesting thing now however.  In your ticket you said you were using LMS files which are S4.  However your profile here says you are using S5.  Which are you actually using?

These are Smart RGB?

What is the length of cable (will  call it Distance) to the first node?

What is the VOLTAGE reaching the first node (thinking a corroded contact here)

Im using S4  not sure why my profile says otherwise.  These are the ready to go floods from LOR.  As a test, I copied the sequence to a string of RGB pixels and it does the same thing. but not on every sequence which is the really odd part. And only on channel 6.

If different sequences are giving differing results, there must be something different in their config. If you right click on the channels in the SE and choose "turn physical channel on" for each color channel you can check if it is really doing what it's supposed to on lights or the visualizer. That trick only works in S4 though.

So you have a CMB24D with eight floods, go into the HU and test the channels. If the channels work properly in the HU then check your config and sequencing.

3 hours ago, Mike Anderson said:

Basically the colors get out of sync on channel 6 of my floods.  White turns red, blue is green and red is pink.

First of all, you said it was on channel 6.  Can I assume you really mean the 6th RGB flood (which is really channels 16 - 18).

Can you send me a sequence that has the problem and I'll take a look at it.  This strongly sounds like a mismatch between the actual channel configuration and the sequencing configuration.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

So you have a CMB24D with eight floods, go into the HU and test the channels. If the channels work properly in the HU then check your config and sequencing.

This would confirm that it is or is not a wiring error or possibly a controller issue as opposed to a software configuration error.

Let us know the results.

Yeah I meant the 6th flood.  Still getting used to the lingo.  I tried the configuration and the flood acts like it is supposed to during the test.

Im not 100% sure how anything would have changed in the configuration but I will check it out.

Jim, I have emailed you the sequence. 

Thanks for the help all!

Mike

12 hours ago, Mike Anderson said:

Yeah I meant the 6th flood.  Still getting used to the lingo.  I tried the configuration and the flood acts like it is supposed to during the test.

Im not 100% sure how anything would have changed in the configuration but I will check it out.

Jim, I have emailed you the sequence. 

Thanks for the help all!

Mike

Your sequence may have a messed up channel configuration.  With your sequence loaded in SE: Tools: channel configuration:

Scroll thru the list: pay close attention to Unit and Circuit numbers.  Red is always in the same place 1,4,7,10,13,16,19,22

Green is always next, Blue after that.  (1,2,3)  For some reason,when you add a RGB device, you don't get a choice of 24 channels (only 16 or 32). Pruning errors bit me :(

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

For some reason,when you add a RGB device, you don't get a choice of 24 channels (only 16 or 32). Pruning errors bit me :(

Easy way around that is don't add a device in the channel config. Instead you can add a device by right clicking on the last channel in SE and adding the device by name. This will populate the correct amount of channels according to the device you are adding.

Well I hooked up my three controllers.  2 basic 16 channel and one 24cmd flood controller. They are 1,2,3.  When i do a network search it is finding 6 controllers. 1 and 2 seem fine but there is a 3,13,23,33. All 24cmd controllers.  Tried to unplug the flood controller and reset it, but now the unit ID wont change. I have no idea what I did to cause this or how to correct it.

mike

1 hour ago, Mike Anderson said:

Well I hooked up my three controllers.  2 basic 16 channel and one 24cmd flood controller. They are 1,2,3.  When i do a network search it is finding 6 controllers. 1 and 2 seem fine but there is a 3,13,23,33. All 24cmd controllers.  Tried to unplug the flood controller and reset it, but now the unit ID wont change. I have no idea what I did to cause this or how to correct it.

mike

CMB24's have switches. be sure you have them firmly in On or OFF.  You might exercise  the upper octet switches(2,3,4,5)

10,11,12 are normally OFF.  12 is used to reset the board (see the manual for the sequence)

When you see MORE or LESS units than you are expecting, that is typically a controller that needs to be reset OR dirty communications.

Also remember that weird things like this may NOT be where you expect.  You are getting multiple CMB24s, but the issue may NOT be the CMB24 - it could be something else which is forcing the CMB24 to act screwy.

First, reset ALL of your controllers using the instructions in the manuals.  A power on/off is NOT a reset.

Now test again and see if things are better.  If not, the next thing to do is changing out all the CAT 5 cable.  

If you haven't, please open a help desk ticket so we can help.

After much troubleshooting I have solved my problem!   Thanks to all that helped!  Now to figure out why my pixels are doing the same thing...im sure I did something else backwards.

i did have a case open for this.  You can go ahead and close it out

mike

1 hour ago, Dennis Laff said:

Mike you should tell everyone how you solved the problem it helps everyone to know .

I had to reset the CMB24 controller.  Somehow it was programmed as 3, 13 and 23 on my network.  It was pulling the sequence from the other two controllers on my network at the same time.  It was very odd.  But a simple redo with the configuration solved my issue.

I'd say 95% of weird communications issues are solved by either a reset of all the equipment, or replacing a bad cable. 

The reset is cheap (free!) and fast.  It should be the first tool in your troubleshooting bag.

• The topic was locked