Light-O-Rama Forums

ripping/burning loses song title?

medman2000

I can't believe I'm struggling with this, didn't have a problem last year but some type of brain freeze has set in I guess.

I buy my music from either amazon or walmart, and when downloaded is protected. I understand that I need to burn it to CD, then rip from CD, to strip the license and allow me to put the music onto my laptop for use during sequencing. I've been using windows media player 11. Tried burning as an audio CD and as a data CD, tried ripping as wav and as mp3.

When I'm on my main computer, I can still see song titles after I rip and it seems to work (when on the same computer). When I put the CD into my laptop, all of the song info is gone and everything shows up as "track 1, track 2..." - and ripping onto the laptop does not restore any song info. Its like I can see all the info on the CD and rips fine on original computer, but on laptop even the CD looks different and ripping strips the info.

Any thoughts? I'm sure it's an easy one, but after about 20 tries I'm stumped.

Thanks!

medman2000

With the exception of CD Text, which is not supported on many CD-ROM drives, audio CDs do not have song titles, artists, etc.

The titles you see when you play a commercial CD comes from an online source such as CDDB, a database that has title information for most commecially-produced audio CDs. This data is then copied to the CD title database on your computer.

When you burn an audio CD on Windows, the title information from the MP3 or WMA file is likely stored in the CD title database on that computer. If you then play that CD on a different computer, it has no access to this information.

Instead of burning an audio CD, you can save the title information if the songs are saved as MP3 files. WAV files do not store this information.

If you need to burn and rip in order to strip the license restriction, then if you burn and rip to MP3 on the same computer, the title information should be copied from the CD title database to the MP3 files.

Perfect, thanks! I'll save copies of the songs to the show computer, then burn/rip on the show computer to deal with the license issue. Makes sense, thanks! I'll sleep better tonight - man this kind of stuff can get under a guy's skin!

Much appreciated -

medman2000

I use a program called Noteburner. It creates a "virtual" CDROM drive. That way I don't a waste a CD. Last time I used it, it moved the titles too. The trial only does a small ammount of the selection. It was relativly inexpensive so I bought it to play with it more. It works pretty good so far.

BUt to my ears, the "downloaded" music sounded "muddy" to me. I ended up ordering all my music on CD's from Amazon and ripped them myself. Probably doesnt matter for transmitting it over the FM for the show.. but when senquencing, it made world of difference, especially on Vince Guaraldi ( Charlie Brown Music). Everything has more detail..

I guess its all in how good the original rip is..