Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie4 max pixel without PI

~DOC~

I want to run 128 pixels (12v) per port. Anyone do this without PI. This is for a 16X32 matrix. I know they say 100 but I know someone has field tested this. I saw someone do this on YouTube without PI but they were using a falcon.

20 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

I want to run 128 pixels (12v) per port. Anyone do this without PI. This is for a 16X32 matrix. I know they say 100 but I know someone has field tested this. I saw someone do this on YouTube without PI but they were using a falcon.

The issue isn't with power, the issue is the 4 amp fuses on the ports. You could do it if you set the intensity lower and/or don't use white.

8 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

A Pixie4 can only do 15A 100px is about 6A . You need to PI if you want use all 4 ports (or 250px) (I tested my px at 100/port (2 ports) , but my longest display is only 86 and I don't run full white

A Gen 2 Pixie4 says 170px and 16A. You still need to PI at Pixel 51 (break the 12V line between 50-51. That would be 12A on the board. you would need an additional 18A PI

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

The issue isn't with power, the issue is the 4 amp fuses on the ports. You could do it if you set the intensity lower and/or don't use white.

Gen 1 pixies don't have port fuses.  only an input (probably why 15A, not 16.

Also, I don't know the PIN rating on those green plugs. I suspect 4A is near the top (other than short bursts)

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Gen 1 pixies don't have port fuses.  only an input (probably why 15A, not 16.

Also, I don't know the PIN rating on those green plugs. I suspect 4A is near the top (other than short bursts)

True but the gen 2 does and the OP doesn't state what they have. Unless he bought early they probably have the gen 2.

Also, most lights go 36w per 50 but there are some I have seen that are 20w per 50 so that could make a difference.

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

4 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

A Pixie4 can only do 15A 100px is about 6A . You need to PI if you want use all 4 ports (or 250px) (I tested my px at 100/port (2 ports) , but my longest display is only 86 and I don't run full white

A Gen 2 Pixie4 says 170px and 16A. You still need to PI at Pixel 51 (break the 12V line between 50-51. That would be 12A on the board. you would need an additional 18A PI

I forgot about the 4 amp cap. I have the pixels and HC 4x8 net already just wanted to check before I start soldering and heat shrinking and find out I have to PI and then have to tear it apart. I will just inject at the first 50.

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

True but the gen 2 does and the OP doesn't state what they have. Unless he bought early they probably have the gen 2.

Also, most lights go 36w per 50 but there are some I have seen that are 20w per 50 so that could make a difference.

Has anyone done an actual amp draw test on newer strings. I am starting to see a lot of specs show 15w string including LOR.

30 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Ok that does bring up a question LOR shows 100 with out PI but it does more than max the 4 amp fuse. I guess while I am doing this I might as well test the numbers myself. 

26 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I use all 4 ports on 4 pixie 4’s all between 76 and 96. I tested 100 without failure at 120’ of extra cables.

It prob depends on the pixels.

My longest used length is 96 have no problems.

Another note- you need to set up the pixies as pixcin16’s in order to get over 100 pixels, you just set it up in SE as the pixcin with the unit ID but only use 4 ports.

Until LOR comes out with an update that is how you get the pixels in SE.

Yoi still need to set the pixel count in HU as well.

JR

24 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Has anyone done an actual amp draw test on newer strings. I am starting to see a lot of specs show 15w string including LOR.

It all comes down to the specs of the lights.

One other thing to consider is that this is a matrix, so if you are running graphics it is very unlikely you would be lighting full length of strings.

1 hour ago, ~DOC~ said:

Are you gonna have 4 pixie4’s for this matrix?

Pixies do not do zigzag 

JR

22 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Pixies do not do zigzag 

JR

Really!  I have to run 16 ports for the 16 rows? When you say zig zag. I can’t run 32 nodes across and jump up to the next row to do 32 back above that one and so forth?

Edited by ~DOC~
Add more

33 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Pixies do not do zigzag

You can do the zig zag in either S4 Visualizer or S5 Preview.  Not a problem at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

You can do the zig zag in either S4 Visualizer or S5 Preview.  Not a problem at all.

Figured I play with a matrix until my work figured out  their decision. Don’t want to do to much with the house if I am going to move to California for a couple years. Figured I could prop that up anywhere.🙃

Edited by ~DOC~
Grammar

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Pixie series is not configured to do the zigzag. Remember it’s not a pixcon.

Sure you can sequence it but you would have to sequence each segment to do what you want.

You have to set that up in advanced mode which we don’t have with the pixies.

JR

1 hour ago, ~DOC~ said:

Really!  I have to run 16 ports for the 16 rows? When you say zig zag. I can’t run 32 nodes across and jump up to the next row to do 32 back above that one and so forth?

The pixie series is not setup for zig zag.

You can do it in sequencing but it’s gonna be a major pain if you can figure it out (nearly impossible if you ask me)

The pixcon16 can be set up to zigzag during the configutltation process.

JR

• Like 1

I just can’t see LOR being this far behind. Everything being a guess maybe that’s why they don’t offer matrix nets? 😫

34 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Pixie series is not configured to do the zigzag. Remember it’s not a pixcon.

Sure you can sequence it but you would have to sequence each segment to do what you want.

You have to set that up in advanced mode which we don’t have with the pixies.

I understand that the Pixie does not natively have ZigZag.  However, as I said, setting it up in S4 Visualizer and / or Sequence Editor, or in S5 Preview Editor would not be overly difficult.  And of course you would only have to do the setup once.

3 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

As far as number of pixels being a string too long from a power perspective, that would also not be a problem.  Assuming the following description for a matrix of the first physical string starting at the bottom left (counting up from bottom and left to right):

Pixel 1 is row 1 pixel 1 -> Pixel 32 is row 1 pixel 32 -> Pixel 33 is row 2 pixel 32 -> Pixel 64 is row 2 pixel 1 -> Pixel 65 is row 3 pixel 1 -> Pixel 96 is row 3 pixel 32 -> Pixel 97 is row 4 pixel 32 -> Pixel 128 is row 4 pixel 1 .

Power comes in from the controller at pixel 1.  At pixel 1, you also tie power and ground to the junction between pixels 64 & 65, and also to the end of the string after pixel 128.  Those three locations will be only a few inches apart, so it would be easy to do, and that way, the power never has to go through more than 32 pixels.  If you need a drawing of the layout, I can do one later (on my commuter train right now).

Note that the total power that the Pixie can supply per port is still an issue, as is the voltage drop in the wiring between the Pixie and the first pixel (however that should not be much of an issue since for a matrix, the controller most likely will be close to the pixels (like mounted to the back of the matrix)).

• Confused 1

I will try to configure with pixie16 I have using 4 channels. This could ultimately affect my decision to stay with LOR. So disappointed. Glad I did not buy the super star yet or any more controllers. 

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I understand that the Pixie does not natively have ZigZag.  However, as I said, setting it up in S4 Visualizer and / or Sequence Editor, or in S5 Preview Editor would not be overly difficult.  And of course you would only have to do the setup once.

As far as number of pixels being a string too long from a power perspective, that would also not be a problem.  Assuming the following description for a matrix of the first physical string starting at the bottom left (counting up from bottom and left to right):

Pixel 1 is row 1 pixel 1 -> Pixel 32 is row 1 pixel 32 -> Pixel 33 is row 2 pixel 32 -> Pixel 64 is row 2 pixel 1 -> Pixel 65 is row 3 pixel 1 -> Pixel 96 is row 3 pixel 32 -> Pixel 97 is row 4 pixel 32 -> Pixel 128 is row 4 pixel 1 .

Power comes in from the controller at pixel 1.  At pixel 1, you also tie power and ground to the junction between pixels 64 & 65, and also to the end of the string after pixel 128.  Those three locations will be only a few inches apart, so it would be easy to do, and that way, the power never has to go through more than 32 pixels.  If you need a drawing of the layout, I can do one later (on my commuter train right now).

Note that the total power that the Pixie can supply per port is still an issue, as is the voltage drop in the wiring between the Pixie and the first pixel (however that should not be much of an issue since for a matrix, the controller most likely will be close to the pixels (like mounted to the back of the matrix)).

I may need some help by the sounds of it. Wow never thought this would be so difficult.