Light-O-Rama Forums

led lights that sync to the music on an fm radio station.

Skippy1262

Are you asking about radio broadcast (your favorite radio station) 

Or what we use to sync our music to the lights?

There is a huge difference.

JR

• Like 1

Most of us have our own transmitters which reach just to the street in front of the house.    We dont have the ability to blink lights to licensed radio stations with huge playlists.

For a limited number of songs, the audio and lighting commands are sync'd ahead of time.   When transmitting the audio, we send commands to the lights at the same time. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO

19 hours ago, Skippy1262 said:

what do i need to purchase to have my radio sync to the led lights and or rgb lights ?

I'd strongly suggest going to the Light-O-Rama website and reading about all this, as well as looking up Light-O-Rama Videos on YouTube that also explains a lot about what we do and how we do it.

This is not something you just plug in and it works, it takes a lot of time and sometimes a lot of patience to get things working.

fix incorrect punctuation, missing words.

Edited by Orville

You might want to start here. As everyone above said this doesn’t just play to music. You will need to design, and spend many hours initially to get the lights to work with music. You will utilize a FM transmitter to broadcast the music to your audience. 

http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/

Weird my post above instead of adding the "reason for edit" then stating "fix punctuation, missing words", put it in the actual body of the message instead of the little edit box that usually appears.  Very strange, that. LOL

But to ~DOC~, glad you posted the tutorials links, I thought I had it bookmarked {do now, thanks to you} and found I didn't have it anywhere or I'd have posted that as well.  Could've sworn I'd bookmarked it, maybe Windows ate it?  I don't know. LOL

Edited by Orville
Add the tildes "~" on either side of DOC. Now let's see if this gets put into the body of the message like the last edit I made did.

19 minutes ago, Orville said:

Weird my post above instead of adding the "reason for edit" then stating "fix punctuation, missing words", put it in the actual body of the message instead of the little edit box that usually appears.  Very strange, that. LOL

But to ~DOC~, glad you posted the tutorials links, I thought I had it bookmarked {do now, thanks to you} and found I didn't have it anywhere or I'd have posted that as well.  Could've sworn I'd bookmarked it, maybe Windows ate it?  I don't know. LOL

LOL

It happens every now and then.

Sometimes when helping someone I would type an entire page and when I hit “submit”, it would all vanish in thin LOR air.

I am glad it didn’t happen with my 200 step Pixie16 thread.

JR

51 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

LOL

It happens every now and then.

Sometimes when helping someone I would type an entire page and when I hit “submit”, it would all vanish in thin LOR air.

I am glad it didn’t happen with my 200 step Pixie16 thread.

JR

I know that feeling all too well.    I was typing an extensive explanation to someone here that had asked about something, can't recall what it was now, but had typed down to about the last 2 sentences that would finish it up, and POOF, it was gone in a flash.   On some rare occasions I was able to use the back arrow to move back a page and luckily everything showed up and I could finish it up, but more often, it's gone and then I just don't bother with starting that again.

What I try to do, when I can "remember to do it! LOL", is I'll open Word Pad in Windows when I'm on the forums here, if I see something that may need a lengthy explanation I'll type it up in Word Pad, then copy and paste it onto the forum.   That has saved me a lot of grief having an entire "how to" disappear into cyberspace when doing it on the forum directly.

Oh, and another thing I do now, again, if "I remember", is before I hit Submit on a lengthy comment like that is I'll copy the entire thing and then hit submit, if it disappears, all I have to do is paste it back into the commentary box again, and re-submit, 2nd time usually works, but been some rare occasions I had to paste the same message twice to get it to work, and then all of a sudden there's now 2 of them in the thread instead of NONE that weren't there before, seems sometimes the 2nd one gets trapped somewhere and when pasted a third time, that 2nd paste miraculously shows up, when it wasn't there before!   

No idea how that occurs or why, when the original messages never displayed anywhere, but paste a 3rd time and sometimes you get a double posting.  Strange quirk is all I can say. LOL

Edited by Orville

On 1/26/2019 at 6:54 PM, Skippy1262 said:

what do i need to purchase to have my radio sync to the led lights and or rgb lights ?

Here is the tranmitter Lor sells 

http://store.lightorama.com/whhofmtr20.html

I did not use this since the range was limited to 100 ft my house stands back more than that. 

The device hooks to your PC headphone jack and sends the music you play through your PC to the transmitter which is set to a specific station (choose one not used in your area). The transmitter then converts this to radio wave which then you can here on your house or car radio.

Pay close attention not to run over a radio station that is used. Your neighbors may not like that. 

To choose a station you can drive around your area and tune to different station to find one that’s static. There is a FCC website that you can use to find stations in your area that are not being used.  I found it was not 100% correct. 

There are transmitters out there that you can buy that have way more power than is legal so make sure you use the lowest setting.

I am sure someone will chime in if I missed anything.

Edited by ~DOC~
Grammer

I keep thinking this person wants a 'color organ'. . 

So my question to the OP is:

Do you want to play a ANY radio station and have the lights follow

OR

will you want to CONTROL specific the lights as the music plays (subtle.) .  LOR allows you to do this. (All the videos at LOR are this kind.)

Color organs just divide the frequencies into bands (Low, med-Low, med, med-hi, hi)  and vary the intensity of each set of lights.

Others have indicated how to have you own (short range) Radio station to send the Audio out from the controlling PC (or show director)

Well he never replied to the first response nor anyone / anywhere else in the community. 

Can’t want the info to bad.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

56 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Well he never replied to the first response nor anyone / anywhere else in the community. 

Can’t want the info to bad.

JR

You might be right

8 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

You might be right

And this seems to happen quite often lately too.   I've seen other posts asking things, like even almost last minute stuff before Christmas last year on here, replied as well as others, but the OP never shows back up, or if they did, never said thanks or anything to let anyone know they got the info they were seeking or if it even helped them.  

Suppose that just means some folks don't have any manners at all, or they completely forgot where they posted their questions at....???  

If I post, I try to check in as often as possible to see if I have answers, reply and thank folks for their help.  

But some of these folks post questions, and then it seems they just fall off the planet or something, as they're never heard from again.  Maybe it's a conspiracy theory or alien abduction perhaps? 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1