Light-O-Rama Forums

shortening christmas light strands

Vince4xmas

I have 50 count led light strands that I need to shorten to 20 lights. Can this be done?

The input plug (male) has 2 wires to a "sealed bundle" then 3 wires out to all 50 lights. The another "sealed bundle" and 2 wires out to output plug (female).

Not sure what electronics are in the "sealed bundle" assume resistor.

Please advise.

Thanks

2 bulges on a 50 led string??? I guess 1 could be a Rectifier and the other, a resistor.  Are they the same diameter? Thin or chubby?

I found that strings mostly come in 2 lengths: Too Short and Too Long  😛

Length issues is one of the reasons I love dumb RGB. cut to length. Done (and you can change the color)

BTW Get som 'phono Needle' probes for your DVM. The can pierce the insulation, allowing Front - back resistance readings (Ohms and Diod direction)

Edited by TheDucks
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

I have 50 count led light strands that I need to shorten to 20 lights. Can this be done?

The input plug (male) has 2 wires to a "sealed bundle" then 3 wires out to all 50 lights. The another "sealed bundle" and 2 wires out to output plug (female).

Not sure what electronics are in the "sealed bundle" assume resistor.

Please advise.

Thanks

Can it be done, yes.

Should it be done, no

Its your call who to listen too here.

Just tuck the excess away is the safest bet.

There are a bunch of stories, theories and reasons why not to do it online, from a safety stand point.

I hate to see people get hurt over Christmas lights.

JR

45 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

2 bulges on a 50 led string??? I guess 1 could be a Rectifier and the other, a resistor.  Are they the same diameter? Thin or chubby?

I found that strings mostly come in 2 lengths: Too Short and Too Long  😛

Length issues is one of the reasons I love dumb RGB. cut to length. Done (and you can change the color)

BTW Get som 'phono Needle' probes for your DVM. The can pierce the insulation, allowing Front - back resistance readings (Ohms and Diod direction)

My thought exactly.

Normally 100 sets with 1- 3 wire can be cut to 2 sets of 50 by cutting and capping the extra wire.

Also some 300 strands , never saw this on a 50 light strand

Makes me think that strand had some special effects that could be controlled.

JR

So far I been ok with it. I needed the same for eyes on the sing Christmas trees. I cut the stain in the middle where there are 2 wires and added wire and put a plug on the end. If you count 25 bulbs then you should see 2 wires instead of three.  Go to youtube and search shorting Christmas lights and get a ton of videos.  Custom lights here on web link..  https://www.1000bulbs.com/search?breadcrumbs[0]=christmas-lights&breadcrumbs[1]=christmas-mini-light-strings&facet.multiselect=true&page=1&q=*&rows=15&son=0&sort=price+asc&start=0&filter=(category:"1994")&filter=(a_bulbs_per_string_t_fq:"20")

All he led strings i have shortened have worked great. I just use an online calculator to determine what size Resistor i would need,kept the first light and the last light, cut pout how many lights i needed to get rid of, soldered in the resistor before the first plug and they worked great on my singing faces. Until the storm destroyed one of my monsters.