Light-O-Rama Forums

N4-G4-MP3 Director

Trickyd

Hello dear light friends,

Does anyone knows where to find the manual of  N4-G4-MP3 Director

I want to study the features in order to decide to buy or not.

Thanks

Dick de Wit

The Netherlands

My guess is that if you don't find the documentation on the Documentation page of the LOR site, they haven't updated it yet.

We have not released the documentation for the G4 yet since it is only in 'pre-release' status.  I am currently working on getting the rest of HWU MP3 SD card building into Hub.  Once that is done, we will start working on the updates needed for the G4's link capability.

As of right now, the G4 is in every way identical to the G3 dual network adapter EXCEPT it can run 4 ports instead of 2.

Wow, 4 ports would be awesome. I could have more props across the street on my neighbors property.

Subscribed for future ref.

Now what is this HUB?

I have spoken to a couple members in the phone and when they said HUB I thought they were in their way referung to HU

JR

Good morning all,

thank you for all info, the picture showed me a link option, I supposed to synchronize more than one unit

Thats why I asked for the docs. I will wait, no problem.

have a nice day all.

Dick

My G3 one worked great. I ran my regular lor channels (300) & a 16 ccr Matrix & 16 CCP controllers no problem. However I just bought the G4 with 4 ports  last Wednesday .....should arrive by next Wensday I am guessing.

FYI... In case you are not familiar (or ever heard of ) our new G4 'link' capability here is a little info:

New G4 multi-port directors (like the new N4-G4-MP3 Director) can be used in 'Link' mode.  When in link mode a single G4 director becomes the show 'master', and it can connect to one or more 'slaves'.  The master will send timing reference information/show information/etc to all other connected MP3 directors and those directors are all kept in sync.  You will build SD cards for each director in Hub.

Basically 'G4 Link' mode allows you to have a 'director chain' that can control up to 16 different LOR networks.  So if for example 4 ports is not enough to run your show, you add another G4 Multi Port director and daisy chain from the 'master' to the 'slave'.  e.g. If you add a 4 port G4, you now have a total of 6 ports:  3 on the master, 3 on the slave - 'Net 1' is connecting the 2 directors together so they can share timing information to keep all 6 ports in sync.

If you add another G4 4 Port, you now have 9 ports- 3 on each where Net 1 on each goes from master to slave 1 to slave 2.

Edit 8/8/23019:  We actually expanded the capabilities beyond this:  On any director in the chain you can run whatever LOR network or DMX Universe you desire.  So if you want to duplicate AUX-C (for example) on 4 different ports on 3 different directors, you can.

1 hour ago, DevMike said:

FYI... In case you are not familiar (or ever heard of ) our new G4 'link' capability here is a little info:

New G4 multi-port directors (like the new N4-G4-MP3 Director) can be used in 'Link' mode.  When in link mode a single G4 director becomes the show 'master', and it can connect to one or more 'slaves'.  The master will send timing reference information/show information/etc to all other connected MP3 directors and those directors are all kept in sync.  You will build SD cards for each director in Hub.

Basically 'G4 Link' mode allows you to have a 'director chain' that can control up to 16 different LOR networks.  So if for example 4 ports is not enough to run your show, you add another G4 Multi Port director and daisy chain from the 'master' to the 'slave'.  e.g. If you add a 4 port G4, you now have a total of 6 ports:  3 on the master, 3 on the slave - 'Net 1' is connecting the 2 directors together so they can share timing information to keep all 6 ports in sync.

If you add another G4 4 Port, you now have 9 ports- 3 on each where Net 1 on each goes from master to slave 1 to slave 2.

That is a great feature esp for those that may get their community to link.

Mike- Can the master or slaves be set to dif time intervals?

Just say I wanted to have a seperate show on my neighbors property where he allows onlookers to watch my show. Can I set something up as sort of an intermission to play there? 

JR

• 1 month later...

I am excited to jump on the bandwagon and order an early release G4-MP3.  It will serve my needs well for a couple of years at least.  I was happy to see that my S4.3.34 version appears to support all 4 ports.  I was concerned when I read the pre-release note that came with the G4-MP3.  I wonder what software level will be required to support the G4-Link feature in the future?  I am also curious as to whether the G3-MP3 could ever be added to the end of the link to provide one extra usable show port?

Very interesting.  may have to look into this one.  Sounds like I could use that to run everything in my show and add on as I may/may not make it larger with more RGB items.

I'll wait for the docs though, I like to read what I'm getting before I buy some items, since this is a whole new system in a sense from all the previous versions, I'd just prefer to read up on it first.

Gonna still use my G3-MP3 (2 port) for this years show. Running 2,300 pixels on each network. Think it will be close. If an issue, then I will get a G4 and separate networks.

Current software will allow for all 4 ports to function.  That's actually been that way for a couple of years.  

What the current software will not do is enable Link Mode.  We are finalizing the design as we speak (I just got an eMail from Dan about the format of the configuration file to drive this).  It won't be the next release (I'm in the process of building that right now).

When the Link mode is ready, we'll have a release with both PC software as well as a required firmware update.

5 hours ago, Vince4xmas said:

Gonna still use my G3-MP3 (2 port) for this years show. Running 2,300 pixels on each network. Think it will be close. If an issue, then I will get a G4 and separate networks.

You should be fine

JR

1 hour ago, DevMike said:

Current software will allow for all 4 ports to function.  That's actually been that way for a couple of years.  

What the current software will not do is enable Link Mode.  We are finalizing the design as we speak (I just got an eMail from Dan about the format of the configuration file to drive this).  It won't be the next release (I'm in the process of building that right now).

When the Link mode is ready, we'll have a release with both PC software as well as a required firmware update.

Will this also be incorporated into earlier versions of the Software Suite, i.e. S4?   "don't ask, won't know." :)

{BTW: forum was coming up really weird the last 2 previous times I tried to access it to ask this question.  I do have screen shots of it.}

I'm wondering if I can replace my older G3 Director that is already mounted in a metal box with the controller? Will I be able to take that one out and replace it with this one?

4 hours ago, Eric walls said:

I'm wondering if I can replace my older G3 Director that is already mounted in a metal box with the controller? Will I be able to take that one out and replace it with this one?

Probably not. 

If it is a G3 style 1602 then definitely not.  

If it is the old style DC-MP3 then you possibly may be able to modify the enclosure somehow, but it will NOT be a direct replacement.    We won't be able to do the modification for you, and you would be responsible.  FYI"  That is a big MAY since I don't have an older style controller.  It may not be possible AT ALL.

The G4 MP3 director is approx 1" longer than the old G3MP3.

22 hours ago, Orville said:

Will this also be incorporated into earlier versions of the Software Suite, i.e. S4?   "don't ask, won't know." :)

Yes.  Hub is in S4 and S5 (and is identical in each) and for now we are still supporting both.  

8 hours ago, DevMike said:

Yes.  Hub is in S4 and S5 (and is identical in each) and for now we are still supporting both. 

Cool, glad to hear that.  Wasn't sure if it would be.  Now I've got another LOR item to save up for.  

I keep adding more and more LOR items to my wish list, and my wife is starting to give me that look of "Do YOU really need that too?"🤣

I said, if you want me to get rid of all these cat5 cables snaking their way along the baseboard, up the wall, along the ceiling molding and then down the wall to the computer to run the lights, then yes that would get rid of that eyesore in the house. 

Of course if you like having these unsightly cat5 cables snaking all over the place, then that answer would be no!  

Her answer: "Okay, I think you DO need that new Director unit.  Make that one the priority, I hate those cables all over the place, and covering them in "Christmas Garland" after the Christmas holiday is over just ain't cutting it!"🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Orville
Hit submit a little too early, wasn't done with the comment! LOL

• 5 months later...
On 2/28/2019 at 11:39 PM, DevMike said:

Hi! What's news about the "G4 link" feature?