Light-O-Rama Forums

How to protect weatherproof CCR connectors after Xmas

Boater227

Now that Xmas is over, I would like to take down most CCRs and Pixie controller, but leave up a few CCRs.  Is there a good way to protect the weatherproof connectors for 11 months?  A cap of some sort would make sense, but I don't see one in Light-O-Rama store.

Thanks for help.

• 1 month later...

Everything I can think of to possibly protect the CCR connector, would involve problems cleaning it for use when the season comes again. I think you would be wiser to remove the CCR's and controller to reduce the possibility of heat damage to them during the summer. Must always remember, "heat" is electronics worst enemy.

I know a member that has left his ribbons on his house outline for years and only has 1 bad pixel.

I also am leaving mine up and the only thing I recommend is to ensure the connector hangs down so water doesn't puddle up inside. Let the air circulate. My pixie controllers for my roof and outline also stay up.

With my experience with ribbons its best to leave them undisturbed if possible. They do not take a lot of handling even with the utmost care. 

IMO and use.

JR

I would not get overly worried about heat leaving them up.  I have ribbons that are used year round for my landscape lighting.  The silicon tube dulls over time, but the strips still work.

As for the connectors, I think that leaving them exposed to weather could result in connection issues.  I ran into that this year with some waterproof connections that ended up left outside all year.  Best idea would be to leave them connected and use them for year round landscape lighting (like I do).

I agree, a weather resistant cap. Beware of anything that can leak and fill the connector with water.

A shot of WD40 in the connector (don't get it on the ribbon), before capping