Light-O-Rama Forums

Last of Talley Christmas & the spiral trees

EARLE W. TALLEY

Earl, It's  sad when someone goes dark, HOWEVER, I (we), (I think I can safely speak for most in the forums) that it gets to a point in everyone's life , it's just too much,.

Age creeps up on us, heck I'm 60 in a month, and trust me... I'm starting to feel it.  You,  have put on a GREAT show for many years, be proud of the joy you have brought to those that enjoyed it, ( and Smile about the ones that didn't, in the fact that you where able to "get their goat" ) side note, it's now called " trolling " FYI :)

Have a Great New Year !!

Greg Manning

• Like 1

Thanks Greg, but the real mystery to me is " how in the heck do you guys in the frozen tundra do it at all" down here in Florida not so bad. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Earle 

Earle I know your going dark  but I hope you stay on the forum . In the ten years I've been on I enjoyed your comments and knowledge thanks Dennis 

Thanks Dennis, I know over the years we have used the information from a lot of members of the forum to improve our displays and you have helped a lot. I will be around for a while to see how things go.

Earle 

Earle, I'm still in awe of your spiral trees every time I see them.  Have you ever thought about giving some type of class or sharing some how-to tips on your tree construction and/or sequencing?  

Thought about it, then said to myself "I am the only one that will build spiral trees this way, to much work for others" , then said noway. I have told many people how to build them and either they don't understand or don't want to follow instructions.  If there are people out there that wants to build a SPIRAL TREE the way I build them contact me. The programming is a little different then a regular mega tree but not much. The big difference is how the tree is constructed AND how the tree is WIRED. Keep in mind it is not cheap to build ( estimate with a 4 color, 64 string, 4 controllers, steel cables, hook head, 3d star, 10' pole, hardware, SPT1 wire and base about $1500.00 ) this could be less if some items comes from salvage and flea markets. The big problem comes when they come down and put away for the year, then re-constructed the following year - to much trouble. This year I had a guy help me take things down out of the attic, then put it all up, he kept saying " how in the heck do you do this every year" all I could say " it's a hobby and I enjoy it".

Thank You 

Earle 

Hi Earle,  Well I, for one, would love to know anything you would care to share with me (from tree construction to sequencing).  Please feel free to PM me directly.

That was absolutely INCREDIBLE!  Such a shame that this was your last show, I'm sure your neighbors and everyone who came to see the show will really miss it. 

But I can understand how this gets harder and harder to do as we get older.  I'm 54, and because the cold Wisconsin weather affects my joints & muscles much more than it did when I was younger, I won't be surprised if I end up calling it quits by the time I turn 60.  I just can't handle the cold weather anymore.  This year it took me over 45 hours to make some new props and set everything up outside, and the temperature was only in the low 30s most days.  I was exhausted & frozen when I was done, and thought to myself "Why do I keep doing this?  I don't want to do this anymore, next year I'm going to go dark forever".   I'm sure I won't go dark forever next year, but some year I'll say that and it'll actually be the truth.

Enjoy your well-deserved lighting retirement, your show will be missed by many.

On 1/1/2019 at 7:44 PM, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

Thought about it, then said to myself "I am the only one that will build spiral trees this way, to much work for others" , then said noway. I have told many people how to build them and either they don't understand or don't want to follow instructions.  If there are people out there that wants to build a SPIRAL TREE the way I build them contact me. The programming is a little different then a regular mega tree but not much. The big difference is how the tree is constructed AND how the tree is WIRED. Keep in mind it is not cheap to build ( estimate with a 4 color, 64 string, 4 controllers, steel cables, hook head, 3d star, 10' pole, hardware, SPT1 wire and base about $1500.00 ) this could be less if some items comes from salvage and flea markets. The big problem comes when they come down and put away for the year, then re-constructed the following year - to much trouble. This year I had a guy help me take things down out of the attic, then put it all up, he kept saying " how in the heck do you do this every year" all I could say " it's a hobby and I enjoy it".

Thank You 

Earle 

Hello Earle, would like to know more about spiral trees please pm me with any info your willing to share!

Thanks,

Gonzo

jetmech4aa@gmail.com

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 9:55 PM, Speedster said:

That was absolutely INCREDIBLE!  Such a shame that this was your last show, I'm sure your neighbors and everyone who came to see the show will really miss it. 

But I can understand how this gets harder and harder to do as we get older.  I'm 54, and because the cold Wisconsin weather affects my joints & muscles much more than it did when I was younger, I won't be surprised if I end up calling it quits by the time I turn 60.  I just can't handle the cold weather anymore.  This year it took me over 45 hours to make some new props and set everything up outside, and the temperature was only in the low 30s most days.  I was exhausted & frozen when I was done, and thought to myself "Why do I keep doing this?  I don't want to do this anymore, next year I'm going to go dark forever".   I'm sure I won't go dark forever next year, but some year I'll say that and it'll actually be the truth.

Enjoy your well-deserved lighting retirement, your show will be missed by many.

I can relate with Speedster.  Also in WI.  Even though it was a milder winter..Going out at night fixing things that didn't work and freezing your hands... "Why do I keep doing this?  I don't want to do this anymore, next year."  But already planning this years.

• 3 weeks later...

It was so nice to meet you last week!  I promise Joel and I will give your lights and snowflakes a good home here in Raleigh :) 

After talking to you and Joel i know they went to a good home and will make things in NC a little brighter come Christmas time. It was a nice visit and I really enjoyed every minute of it.

Thank You 

Earle

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/25/2019 at 10:40 PM, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

After talking to you and Joel i know they went to a good home and will make things in NC a little brighter come Christmas time. It was a nice visit and I really enjoyed every minute of it.

Thank You 

Earle

I want you to know that I regularly watch your videos. I took the immersion classes at Expo this year. I will be emailing you soon so that we can put the trees up in the backyard and learn them. Your trees will continue to brighten Christmases for years to come. 

dansamy, I thought you would have started before now, the first time will take longer but that's how you learn. Let me know if you have any problems, I will try to help as much as possible.

Earle

1 hour ago, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

dansamy, I thought you would have started before now, the first time will take longer but that's how you learn. Let me know if you have any problems, I will try to help as much as possible.

Earle

We had an unusually wet spring. That delayed us a bit. And my schedule and my son's schedule need to link up so that we can both work on them. Hopefully, this week. Certainly before the end of August. 

• 5 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:36 PM, Jeff F said:

I can relate with Speedster.  Also in WI.  Even though it was a milder winter..Going out at night fixing things that didn't work and freezing your hands... "Why do I keep doing this?  I don't want to do this anymore, next year."  But already planning this years.

I can say the same thing being in Wisconsin.  Halloween had 7 inches of snow (I do a Halloween display too).  Then we had single digit temperatures the week after freezing everything solid.  Really tought it was not going to happen this year.  I just got my Medicare card last year, and the Mrs. says I should be giving it up and quit adding stuff.  I do have help from some great neighbors, but still do most of the setup myself.  It just takes a bit longer now.  The toughest part is bringing up all the stuff from the basement.  The show this year was rather uneventful as we did not experience the deep freeze cycles so common around here.  So as long as my legs and hands still function - the show will go on.