Light-O-Rama Forums

07 Display

kias

I think this may be my first post here so, "HI!"

You can follow along here, if you wish, there's a windows media video @ http://www.rjsoap.com/christmas2007/christmashouse2007.wmv It's kinda big though... ~42 megs. ~11.5 minutes

'07 was the second year I've done this and here's the lessons I learned.

1. Professional Voice Talent is a must! I was thinking of Don Lafontaine, however, "In a World of Christmas Lights..." might scare the little kids. Besides he was priced WAY out of my budget. Now that he's gone, I'll never get his voiceover. So, I went for a voice more 'Christmassy' like. I'll probably use the same this year.
  2. Do not think you're going to find tomato cages in the stores in October! Nope, not gonna work... So I had to make the trees out of some fence laying around the barn. Boy did that not work out so great!
  3. Do not place your Christmas trees in a geometric pattern when there's an acre of land between the lights and the road, there's too much parallax error! Looked awesome in LOR though!
  4. Take video a lot sooner in the evening!
  5. The time you actually need to sequence the lights will always be double the time you actually have to sequence the lights.
  6. ...and last but not least, I really like the Dueling Christmas Banjos! I might do it again this year!

That's all I got! I suppose I should get to work on this years display now! :shock:

Oh, my first year is here, if you're extremely bored...

http://www.rjsoap.com/christmas2006/christmashouse2006.avi

This one is REALLY huge, ~147 megs ~7 minutes. (I think I overdid it on the audio...)

1. One day I'll foot the bill for some professional voice talent. I think it is a great idea. I tried to voice my own but my voice really bites!

2. Yep, I was thinking about that early this year. So I'm stocked on them. However, I was walking through Wal-mart the other day and saw some tucked way in the back of the garden center. (they were overpriced for tomato cages so no wonder they didn't sell.)

4. You are so right about that. I was never real happy with my video. I will also try to have everything set up the night before opening night too. I have so much traffic, I couldn't hardly get video without a stream of cars running by. I did most of my taping at 11pm to minimize the traffic. That of course did not lend to great videography. I'll be investing in a tripod this year as well.

5. You've busted me. I'm getting back to sequencing tomorrow! I'm so far behind!

I liked your video. I want to do Refections of Earth too, but I'm not sure that I'll have the time. I've got a bunch of songs that I have to do.

kias wrote:

Do not think you're going to find tomato cages in the stores in October! Nope, not gonna work... So I had to make the trees out of some fence laying around the barn. Boy did that not work out so great!

My wife told me she wanted more "Super Mini's" These are smaller mini tree's I made by cutting the top off the tomato cage. About 16" tall.
We had about 16 made and she wanted some more so they could "zoom across the yard" Sure honey, OK you go find the tomato cages and I'll make as many as you want. I said this in full confidence in late November 07.

Well, guess what....a few phone calls later and she found a DoIt Center with 48 in stock. Priced at .50 a piece. We must have been up to 3 am for 5 nights making all these mini tree's and adding them to the sequence. I had to make another 4 trips to buy zip cord!!
Scott

Shubb wrote:

kias wrote:

Do not think you're going to find tomato cages in the stores in October! Nope, not gonna work... So I had to make the trees out of some fence laying around the barn. Boy did that not work out so great!

My wife told me she wanted more "Super Mini's" These are smaller mini tree's I made by cutting the top off the tomato cage. About 16" tall.
We had about 16 made and she wanted some more so they could "zoom across the yard" Sure honey, OK you go find the tomato cages and I'll make as many as you want. I said this in full confidence in late November 07.

Well, guess what....a few phone calls later and she found a DoIt Center with 48 in stock. Priced at .50 a piece. We must have been up to 3 am for 5 nights making all these mini tree's and adding them to the sequence. I had to make another 4 trips to buy zip cord!!
Scott

Unless you are a newlywed, in which case you are excused, never, NEVER, EVER underestimate the power and fortitude of a determined woman. At least she stayed up to help you, or was it to make sure you didn't fall asleep on the job?

Its even better when, the wife comes home with lights..

.This past Christmas ,once we put forth we were animating, she brought home more C-9 lights and some new icicle lights. That was before I realized how much power those things use...

Now she come's home with LEDs! She brought me 8 boxes of 5mm's from Biglots the other day! I love my wife!!! :)

My wife kindly stated the other day, "Are ya gettin' the lights ready?" Of course my reply was, "Uh Huh! All year long!"

I also found an easier way to show the video of my lights. It's on a test page at http://www.rjsoap.com/1presby/videotest The first one or the last one will do. It's a semi-quasi-pseudo-streaming video.

I think I'll be using this for this years website...

• The topic was locked