Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you store your pixel tree ?

ItsMeBobO

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

This is my first year using the Boscoyo pixel strips on my pixel tree.  I had a HUGE issue with the strips twisting while hung from the tree.  The center strips were not an issue, but on a flat tree, the farther out from center, the more gravity is trying to pull the pixels and wiring down (not in a line with the strip) - which causes the strip to rotate towards the outside edge of the tree.  That causes the edge of the pixel strip to face the audience for  good portion of the length of the strip.  For next year, I will need to come up with a way to keep the pixel strips from twisting - I have several ideas.

As for storage when I take the tree down, I had planned on laying them on the floor of my attic, but I like the idea of putting several strips in large conduit.  Then I could put them farther into the attic where it is hard to get to.

Personally if you put them in the attic just put bungee cords at one end with the other fastened around a hook. No I don’’t have them but I already saw a place on my garage ceiling to do this. So With everyone having issues I am thinking ahead. I personally would not use the pipe. 

I have 2 rolls of BS strips that I purchased 2 years ago, have not used due to change of plans and will not use so Bob, Jim - K6CCCif you need some let me know. I even have the metal tension fasteners. For as much as you both have done for me in the past and do for others I would not charge you for them nor the shipping.

They are stored as received rolled with the tape connecting them end over end.

JR

• Like 1

JR, I don't need any more of the strips (even though I am adding two more strips for 2019), but I could use one more of the metal tension fasteners.  I have three of the MISR fasteners and will need four for adding two more strips - so I could use one more.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

JR, I don't need any more of the strips (even though I am adding two more strips for 2019), but I could use one more of the metal tension fasteners.  I have three of the MISR fasteners and will need four for adding two more strips - so I could use one more.

Shoot me your address, you have my email. I will get one out to you tomorrow. If I don't get it in time will send the next day. Im only 4 miles from USPS

JR

Here is just another thought as where I work we store wood trim in them and they are very durable. you can get them in many lengths and diameters. The product is Sono tube (that is what it called here in Ontario) it is the form for pouring round cement posts. For end caps we just cut a round piece of plywood and screw it inside at the end. It is available here in Ontario at any Big box hardware store.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randy Martin said:

Here is just another thought as where I work we store wood trim in them and they are very durable. you can get them in many lengths and diameters. The product is Sono tube (that is what it called here in Ontario) it is the form for pouring round cement posts. For end caps we just cut a round piece of plywood and screw it inside at the end. It is available here in Ontario at any Big box hardware store.

I think Randy has the winning idea!   A product which can be found on a website and available locally.   Much cheaper than the stiff water pipes of smaller diameter.   Lowes does not appear to list the 12 foot length but menards does which is my preferred anyway.

11 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

As I got thinking about it it might be easier for you all to just get 8in pipe which would be more readily available and just drill some holes. But as I stated it will be available special order if you want it that bad. Besides your not going to want all those holes just the ones at the ends.

Right, no need for the holes...what I am looking for is pipe larger than 4 inch diameter.    I have found some > $1k water pipe which is WAY too expensive.    The white/black with holes, largest largest around here is 4inch.   Same for OH. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO

On 1/7/2019 at 8:41 AM, ItsMeBobO said:

I think Randy has the winning idea!   A product which can be found on a website and available locally.   Much cheaper than the stiff water pipes of smaller diameter.   Lowes does not appear to list the 12 foot length but menards does which is my preferred anyway.

Actually that may be a a lot cheaper. I think it would work for you

On 1/6/2019 at 4:42 PM, ItsMeBobO said:

Around here I have only seen that in 4 inch diam..  checking internet for it.   

Try a farm supply. (might be listed under culvert)

Thanks guys    I already placed the order for two   twelve foot  8 inch diam sonotubes from Menards.  $20 each which is not much more than the four foot ones.    Much cheaper and lighter than the pipe.   The PVC pipe was extremely heavy and would have been hard to position and store with the pixels in it. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, ItsMeBobO said:

Menards

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, ItsMeBobO said:

Thanks guys    I already placed the order for two   twelve foot  8 inch diam sonotubes from Menards.  $20 each which is not much more than the four foot ones.    Much cheaper and lighter than the pipe.   The PVC pipe was extremely heavy and would have been hard to position and store with the pixels in it. 

Will you be putting those tubes outside ?

I have a very long storage area under the deck with a rain guard over head to keep it mostly dry. 

I have the tubes now.   But I still have not taken down the pixel tree because it has been snowy/rainy and cold.    But.. I have been lighting it every night. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ItsMeBobO said:

I have a very long storage area under the deck with a rain guard over head to keep it mostly dry. 

I have the tubes now.   But I still have not taken down the pixel tree because it has been snowy/rainy and cold.    But.. I have been lighting it every night. 

You may spray those tubes with an acrylic spray to further waterproof it.

Love the comment about the p10

Thats great use of the deck space

JR

12 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Watched the video - I'm envious of your storage space...

then you would be really mad at me, already had two sheds out back (10 x 10 and a 12 x 10) but we built a 12 x 16 so we could have a workshop (with a work bench) and even more storage.

For years I never had much in the way of storage. A couple of years ago I bought a large ranch home that has a 3000 square foot basement. About half of the basement has become my storage area and work area. I feel blessed to finally have a little room.

• The topic was locked