Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you store your pixel tree ?

ItsMeBobO

Oh forgot to say I have seen temps close to 80 C (176F) in a car. If your storing it up in your roof I can say I bet your seeing something close. I stopped storing anything in my attic after working and realizing the temps and it’s destructive nature. 

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is down but the pixel tree and I am still trying to figure this out.   Lowes did not have large diam pipe.    The plumbing supply stores are not open weekends. doh

6 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Everything is down but the pixel tree and I am still trying to figure this out.   Lowes did not have large diam pipe.    The plumbing supply stores are not open weekends. doh

Bob- I changed mine up today due to the loss last season. 

When I was at Lowes picking up my parts needed I happened to see something.

Its 8" round thin wall PVC and has 1/2" holes drilled. This may help you since diameter is good and the holes would allow you to zip ties on the ends to keep the strings taught. It may be some sort of drain pipe. Its not corrugated pipe like the black stuff pictured above. Looks like regular white pvc with holes all the way around it.

I didn't take a pic but if you need one I will be back that way tomorrow. 

Also - perhaps my new method could be modified for you.

I made my rack out of 3/4" pvc. 2 sections 35" a "T" in the center. an 90 deg elbo on each end and 3 12" pieces screwed to each open end. Those are the hangers.

I made 4 assemblies and screwed them to the beams in my garage above the door.

Turned out nice and out of the way.

You may be able to do that and eother ziptie the ends to the pvc or screw the ends to the pvc.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

8 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Around here I have only seen that in 4 inch diam..  checking internet for it.   

See my edit - I was adding what I made today when you replied

Gonna post a pic link in a min

Note I didn’t use cement on this- I opted for screws. Also I had two center sections outside in order to get the light sections in. Once done I added a coupling to those two brackets.

https://photo.walgreens.com/store/share?via=link&token=yQCCi5Mbds1dJrW6V4293w/AUS/1001944403070/WALGREENS

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Its 8" round thin wall PVC and has 1/2" holes drilled

That’s drainage pipe. You can get it anywhere. If you don’t see it ask the workers. They can get it. 

This is my first year using the Boscoyo pixel strips on my pixel tree.  I had a HUGE issue with the strips twisting while hung from the tree.  The center strips were not an issue, but on a flat tree, the farther out from center, the more gravity is trying to pull the pixels and wiring down (not in a line with the strip) - which causes the strip to rotate towards the outside edge of the tree.  That causes the edge of the pixel strip to face the audience for  good portion of the length of the strip.  For next year, I will need to come up with a way to keep the pixel strips from twisting - I have several ideas.

As for storage when I take the tree down, I had planned on laying them on the floor of my attic, but I like the idea of putting several strips in large conduit.  Then I could put them farther into the attic where it is hard to get to.

16 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

That’s drainage pipe. You can get it anywhere. If you don’t see it ask the workers. They can get it. 

Its not available anywhere!   If you think it is.. post the link for EIGHT INCH DIAMETER pipe.   The four inch diameter which is eight feet long is available everywhere.  I would not need help with that.  Please give me some credit for being smart enough to shop. 

6 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Its not available anywhere!   If you think it is.. post the link for EIGHT INCH DIAMETER pipe.   The four inch diameter which is eight feet long is available everywhere.  I would not need help with that.  Please give me some credit for being smart enough to shop. 

I’d be willing to pick it up an ship it Greyhound. if they would ship.

My brother n laws wife if from somewhere a little north of you but they just came back. They totaled their brand new infinity SUV on the way up - deer. Yes a deer totaled their $80k vehicle.

JR

7 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Not trying to stir the pot. It is, you may need to look around. After getting out of the military. I worked part time at Lowe’s. Plumbing area as I went to school. They can special order just about anything you can think of and yes I remember the drainage pipe is one. Other than that you may need to look around at your odd ball places to find if you don’t want to go that route. But yes they can order. 

26 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

This is my first year using the Boscoyo pixel strips on my pixel tree.  I had a HUGE issue with the strips twisting while hung from the tree.  The center strips were not an issue, but on a flat tree, the farther out from center, the more gravity is trying to pull the pixels and wiring down (not in a line with the strip) - which causes the strip to rotate towards the outside edge of the tree.  That causes the edge of the pixel strip to face the audience for  good portion of the length of the strip.  For next year, I will need to come up with a way to keep the pixel strips from twisting - I have several ideas.

As for storage when I take the tree down, I had planned on laying them on the floor of my attic, but I like the idea of putting several strips in large conduit.  Then I could put them farther into the attic where it is hard to get to.

Thank you Jim for being the first to say your strips dont all hang straight.  Maybe your attribution to position is what I should be looking at as a bigger contributor to the twisting I see on mine.   I can see minor 'fold lines'  which I have assigned to blame to so far. 

5 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I’d be willing to pick it up an ship it Greyhound. if they would ship.

My brother n laws wife if from somewhere a little north of you but they just came back. They totaled their brand new infinity SUV on the way up - deer. Yes a deer totaled their $80k vehicle.

JR

No link.. 

3 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Not trying to stir the pot. It is, you may need to look around. After getting out of the military. I worked part time at Lowe’s. Plumbing area as I went to school. They can special order just about anything you can think of and yes I remember the drainage pipe is one. Other than that you may need to look around at your odd ball places to find if you don’t want to go that route. But yes they can order. 

No link ...

12 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

No link ...

Every area has their own stock. Posting a link isn’t worth it. Our Lowe’s do not stock it on hand it’s special order item. My best way to help you is to say order it special order... or look up dedicated plumbing stores in your area. I know what we call here in Ohio Menards carries the eight inch in stock. Similar to this

CD712CE2-51F6-4DBE-8302-82FD20A10AC3.jpeg

Edited by ~DOC~

17 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

No link ...

No link- it’s noy even listed in the Lowe’s web.

I will say it could be an area item. I do know that my Lowe’s and the Lowe’s 10 miles away do not carry the same items due to demand.

ATM our city is going through a growing population phase. Everyone wants to move and build houses here. As well as other major projects.

I saw this stuff, put my hands on it and thought about this thread. I didn’t even think about getting a pic - didn’t realize it would be hard to find -3 trips I Lowe’s in a day for the wife’s other project was enough.

However I will be that way when my family is taking Taikwando tomorrow night. I will go get a pic and info. They had 2 or 3 sizes and 8” was the largest. I believe 10’ but could have been 8.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

13 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Every area has their own stock. Posting a link isn’t worth it. Our Lowe’s do not stock it on hand it’s special order item. My best way to help you is to say order it special order... or look up dedicated plumbing stores in your area. I know what we call here in Ohio Menards carries the eight inch in stock. Similar to this

CD712CE2-51F6-4DBE-8302-82FD20A10AC3.jpeg

That’s the stuff. It’s sewer drain pipe

JR

As I got thinking about it it might be easier for you all to just get 8in pipe which would be more readily available and just drill some holes. But as I stated it will be available special order if you want it that bad. Besides your not going to want all those holes just the ones at the ends.

Edited by ~DOC~

2 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

As I got thinking about it it might be easier for you all to just get 8in pipe which would be more readily available and just drill some holes. But as I stated it will be available special order if you want it that bad. Besides your not going to want all those holes just the ones at the ends.

We don’t have 8” pipe here in stock anywhere. That was one for my original ideas.

I used 8” pipe to make my fishing rod transport system when I had my fishing boat.

But lately it’s always out of stock with all the houses, buildings and schools being built.

Thats why I noticed the drain pipe. Caught my attention quick.

At the time I built my fishing rod holder I got the 8” pipe from ACE or True Value. There was no Lowe’s or HD close by.

JR

7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

We don’t have 8” pipe here in stock anywhere. That was one for my original ideas.

I used 8” pipe to make my fishing rod transport system when I had my fishing boat.

But lately it’s always out of stock with all the houses, buildings and schools being built.

Thats why I noticed the drain pipe. Caught my attention quick.

At the time I built my fishing rod holder I got the 8” pipe from ACE or True Value. There was no Lowe’s or HD close by.

JR

They can still order it. Most of the big box stores won’t stock it. Our Menards for some odd reason stocks the huge stuff with fittings.