Light-O-Rama Forums

Can DIY SPT1 extension cords be used for laptops?

Speedster

My daughter's bf needs an extension cord for his laptop, and since I have so much SPT1 wire & plugs left, I thought about making an extension cord for him.  But will it be able to handle the power requirements of a laptop?

I planned on using this Southwire 16/2 lamp cord:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-250-ft-18-2-Brown-Lamp-Cord/50111492

It's not really the laptop, but the power supply bricks requirement. If it has a ground you should use 3 core. They usually only consume a few amps, so that wire will be OK. I would not use vampires for this application. Might be better and no more expensive to just buy a UL listed cord with ends attached.

16 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

It's not really the laptop, but the power supply bricks requirement. If it has a ground you should use 3 core. They usually only consume a few amps, so that wire will be OK. I would not use vampires for this application. Might be better and no more expensive to just buy a UL listed cord with ends attached.

Thanks Phil, he'll be going out later to buy an extension cord.

All the Laptops I have owned are <100W, so SPT1 (18ga) would be fine for the RUN. But those power bricks can have some healthy inrush (ever hear the plug go pop when inserted? That is the inrush charging the input caps.).  Vampires hav those tiny teeth, so they might not last (no a real Hazard, just weak).

This assumes 2 wire (Toshiba...) Dell and HP tend to use 3 wire. So not a good cheat.

• The topic was locked