Light-O-Rama Forums

Usb485 Problems

doublea

This usb485 workes fine on my vista machine, my other laptop bit the dust last spring, So now im using my new (used) dell laptop.

I plug in the adapter and the computer makes the normal sound saying a usb device has been plugged in.

But in the hardware utility I get a weird error meassage.

1-1.jpg

I know its comm 20 because:

2-1.jpg

3-2.jpg

any help is much appreciated.

We had a problem at one time with some versions of the software where the Hardware utility could not open a port with a number higher than COM9...

In the device manager, just a couple of clicks deaper you will see a place where you can change the port number. Set it to something less than 10. (sorry I cannot check the exact screens because I do not have a serial device on this laptop)

Edit: I will have someone double check S2 to make sure that we did not miss moving that fix to S2. I know that the problem was uncovered in LOR I during S2 development so the fix may have slipped through the cracks.

Dan

The hardware utility has an issue working with serial ports above about 10. I have had this error and then just simply adjust the adapter port down to below 10 if there is a port available and then the hardware utilitiy is happy.

Chuck

Your Dell comm port number can be different than your vista computer, did you try the auto configure button for the comm port on the dell computer?

Dennis Cherry wrote:

Your Dell comm port number can be different than your vista computer, did you try the auto configure button for the comm port on the dell computer?

Yes, the auto configure did not work. Woah 3 replys so fast. Im goig to change the port number now and see how that works.

LightORamaDan wrote:

We had a problem at one time with some versions of the software where the Hardware utility could not open a port with a number higher than COM9...

In the device manager, just a couple of clicks deaper you will see a place where you can change the port number. Set it to something less than 10. (sorry I cannot check the exact screens because I do not have a serial device on this laptop)

Edit: I will have someone double check S2 to make sure that we did not miss moving that fix to S2. I know that the problem was uncovered in LOR I during S2 development so the fix may have slipped through the cracks.

Dan

That worked, I changed it to COM2.... com 3-19 was in use on that laptop (whats actually using all those ports I have no clue)

But its working perfect like a charm now!

Its not a big deal to me, a fix would be nice, but ill never run into that problem again because Ill know whats going on :D. It just had me very confused is all :P

Thanks for again for the fast replies/support folks.

Dan,

Not long ago I installed the drivers for the USB485B on my laptop and the port was assigned like to 16. I got an error. I pondered a bit and remembered about the port number. Adjusted and all was fine. All this after updating to 2.0.16. I hope this gives you some insite as well on time line.

Chuck

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan