Light-O-Rama Forums

8 cars parked outside....

ItsMeBobO

but all of them are empty!    Argh I hate that! 

My neighbor is having a party and didnt mention to his guests to not park on my side directly in front of my house.   I dont even let cars with watching guests park there which blocks the view of the other cars. 

Someone tell me to chill ! 

• Thanks 1

Just go and knock on the neighbors door and politely ask them to please move their vehicles and state why.  People park in front of my house all the time and walk up the road to visit someone else.   Most, but not all, usually comply when I go knocking at their door, and ask them to please move their vehicle{s} from in front of my home.

However, I also{if I really wanted to} have the option to call the towing company and have the unoccupied vehicle removed.   And, yes, I WILL do that, but only as a last resort and I've only had to do that once so far, the guy was a real jerk, so I had his vehicle towed off after contacting security and registering a complaint.  I try hard NOT to do this, but act like an the north end of a southbound mule, get treated like one in return.

No one is supposed to park in front of anyone's house or on the street unless the vehicle is occupied, even security will have unoccupied vehicles towed away if parked on the street and the license plate DOES NOT match the address, unless they{office and security officer{s}} are notified in advance that vehicle will be there as a visitor, but if the vehicle causes issues for others, security will still tow it off if parked in the street.   It's supposed to prevent issues with folks parking illegally in front of others homes here, but some people just don't get it, until they come out and find their car{s} missing!

Fortunately we don't own any vehicles so our visitors can park in our driveway if they're going to come inside for a longer visit.   Otherwise, and folks don't like it, because they may have to walk a little distance, there guests are SUPPOSED to park in the guest parking area, which are the parking spaces around the office complex and nowhere else.

A lot of folks have been informed of this, it's in the original lease you get when you move into this manufactured home park, and then the resident gets ticked because their visitors car{s} may get towed off.   Some folks just don't want to follow the rules, even if they are directly in front of them in black and white and state the consequences for NOT following them.  Some folks just NEVER learn!

Edited by Orville

They were blocking nearly the entire street for about three hours.   The show guests I did see had to be in the driving lanes and look between cars since the parking areas were filled.  

While I am tempted by your advice Orville,  I could never complain to this neighbor who is very tolerant of the traffic the other days of my show.    His house is very high up a long hill driveway.  It would be very inconvenient to walk down it and back up to move a car.  Its just too much to ask on a week night.   I just had to suck it up and try not to be mad. My viewing area is actually very good on my dead end street.  Even with parked cars I am sure my viewing area is ok compared to other streets with moving traffic.   The funny part to me is tonight I also had a party.   About 20 people from my office were coming over together.   I explained to them all to park 2 houses down the street if they were going to get out of their cars and it all worked out fine for the 90 minutes of their visit. 

I know how you feel, but IMO you have done the right thing, if they "put up with your show" (If you know what I mean...) give them the one night they have a party... 

I'ts frustrating, however, it could severely cause problems down the road (pun intended)....

Cheers ! and Merry Christmas !!

Greg

You need a friend with a repo truck, who can just hook and go.

Pull those cars a block down the street. It would be the gift that keeps on giving.

You and your neighbors will be laughing at that for years...

They will be really pissed at first, though.

Edited by MikeERWNC

New neighbors at the old house parked on the street. It's legal, so I couldn't really complain. However, on Christmas Eve they pulled up 40 minutes before show time and parked in front of the house. It's not like it was the first night of the display, it was Christmas Eve.

So I recorded a voice over that said due to cars parked in front of the display "we can not safely run the display this evening." About 10 minutes in someone yelled at them from their car, "Is your car in front of this house? He's not running the show because of it." (Baby monitors outside can pickup a LOT) They moved the car in about 20 seconds after someone called them out on it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

They were blocking nearly the entire street for about three hours.   The show guests I did see had to be in the driving lanes and look between cars since the parking areas were filled.  

While I am tempted by your advice Orville,  I could never complain to this neighbor who is very tolerant of the traffic the other days of my show.    His house is very high up a long hill driveway.  It would be very inconvenient to walk down it and back up to move a car.  Its just too much to ask on a week night.   I just had to suck it up and try not to be mad. My viewing area is actually very good on my dead end street.  Even with parked cars I am sure my viewing area is ok compared to other streets with moving traffic.   The funny part to me is tonight I also had a party.   About 20 people from my office were coming over together.   I explained to them all to park 2 houses down the street if they were going to get out of their cars and it all worked out fine for the 90 minutes of their visit. 

Fortunately I live in the "flat lands" if you will. LOL.   No hills or high inclines to worry about. 

In your case, I can totally understand why you didn't go knocking and ask them to move the cars, and attempted to stay as calm as you could by the inconsideration{providing your neighbor may have told them not to park there} of those that had parked there.

32 minutes ago, Don said:

New neighbors at the old house parked on the street. It's legal, so I couldn't really complain. However, on Christmas Eve they pulled up 40 minutes before show time and parked in front of the house. It's not like it was the first night of the display, it was Christmas Eve.

So I recorded a voice over that said due to cars parked in front of the display "we can not safely run the display this evening." About 10 minutes in someone yelled at them from their car, "Is your car in front of this house? He's not running the show because of it." (Baby monitors outside can pickup a LOT) They moved the car in about 20 seconds after someone called them out on it.

In my neighborhood the roads are all private property, owned by the Manufacturing Home  Park {owners} , and they have repeatedly told people that they are not to park on the streets in newsletters, first move in lease, and the rules and regulations document you have to sign stating all this.

So if they do, park anywhere not designated for parking, the homeowner{only if parked in front or partially in front of your home or in your driveway.  Had that happen a few times too, come home and someone had parked in MY driveway!}, security officers, office personnel, and/or maintenance personnel all have the authority to have the vehicle towed away.  Most often they will knock at your door first and ask about the vehicle, but if you don't know who the vehicle belongs too, or where they went, then when they finally do come back, they may find it long gone.

The fire department, ambulance services and local LEO's have all registered many complaints due to cars being parked on the narrow roads we have in here, they just can't get past them to get to someone, so it's a huge safety concern and why they tell folks there is no parking on the streets or on the grass where I live, do it, and you may be missing your vehicle in short order if left unoccupied for more than a few minutes {pizza delivery folks, deliveries direct to your address or the only exceptions where I live.}

When I did have vehicles they were always parked in my driveway, never in the street{and, again, it is against the rules here!}. 

Most streets in here are just far too narrow for larger vehicles to pass through, especially if you have 2 morons that decide to park on each side of the street directly next/across from each other, and you barely have enough room for a bicyclist to pass between them!  Even one on the street still makes it difficult for fire trucks and larger trucks to get through.

And I've seen this place yank{tow} a lot of vehicles in my very close to 6 years of living here!

Edited by Orville

14 minutes ago, Orville said:

In my neighborhood the roads are all private property, owned by the Manufacturing Home  Park {owners} , and they have repeatedly told people that they are not to park on the streets in newsletters, first move in lease, and the rules and regulations document you have to sign stating all this.

So if they do, park anywhere not designated for parking, the homeowner{only if parked in front or partially in front of your home or in your driveway.  Had that happen a few times too, come home and someone had parked in MY driveway!}, security officers, office personnel, and/or maintenance personnel all have the authority to have the vehicle towed away.  Most often they will knock at your door first and ask about the vehicle, but if you don't know who the vehicle belongs too, or where they went, then when they finally do come back, they may find it long gone.

The fire department, ambulance services and local LEO's have all registered many complaints due to cars being parked on the narrow roads we have in here, they just can't get past them to get to someone, so it's a huge safety concern and why they tell folks there is no parking on the streets or on the grass where I live, do it, and you may be missing your vehicle in short order if left unoccupied for more than a few minutes {pizza delivery folks, deliveries direct to your address or the only exceptions where I live.}

When I did have vehicles they were always parked in my driveway, never in the street{and, again, it is against the rules here!}. 

Most streets in here are just far too narrow for larger vehicles to pass through, especially if you have 2 morons that decide to park on each side of the street directly next/across from each other, and you barely have enough room for a bicyclist to pass between them!  Even one on the street still makes it difficult for fire trucks and larger trucks to get through.

And I've seen this place yank{tow} a lot of vehicles in my very close to 6 years of living here!

In my neighborhood the roads are all public property, owned by the city. People are never told not to park on the street, and they don't have to sign anything stating as such when they move in, purchase or lease the property.

So when they park on the street, the city does nothing. Unless you are blocking someone else's driveway, then maybe the Police would get involved. Maybe. Around here you park on the street and people are going to leave your car alone. Police never come to the door asking if that is your car. If no one knows where you went then you will probably come back to find your right where it was.

The local fire department, ambulances and police have never registered complaints due to cars being parked on the regular size roads we have. There are laws on the books that do state it is illegal to park on one side of a very few (very few) streets, but other than that, nothing like there here. Pizza delivery, UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc., all have no troubles making deliveries here.

I park my vehicles in the garage. Unless I'm cleaning out the garage, then it goes in the driveway or street. (Again, it's legal here!)

Most streets are are wide enough for any vehicle to pass through. The only streets in the city that might be too small have restrictions on the books about parking on one side of the road. There are some streets around here you can have a car parked on either side of the road, and still get two cars through there. It's quite nice, actually, to have the room to drive without worrying about hitting another car.

I've never seen cars towed around here.

(okay, I've had my fun.)

Don, quite aware of the differences and understand that. 

I used to live in a neighborhood where folks could park on the street at any time, they parked in front of our house all the time, couldn't do a thing about it, unless like you stated, they were blocking the driveway.

But manufactured home parks {glorified trailer park name now if you will} usually are always private property and most are so old the streets are barely wide enough for 2 cars to pass by each other!

• The topic was locked