Light-O-Rama Forums

Copying sequences from 'sequencing' PC to 'player' PC.

salighie

Hi, 

I've run into the well-documented issue of copying encrypted sequences from a non-licensed PC to a licensed PC. i had to get the help desk to decrypt them for me - saved my Xm-ass

My licensed PC (the 'player') is in a remote location, whereas i do all my sequencing on my 'sequencing' PC at home. 

What's the best approach in this case?

will i run into any issues if both PCs are licensed?

I've read in other posts that "...only the PC that encrypted the sequence can decrypt it" - does that still apply if both PCs are licensed?

any other considerations or better way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

An encrypted (protected) file can only be opened on the same computer that saved it.  However as long as you have a LOR License entered, files are only saved as protected if you specifically save it as protected.

As long as you don't save as protected files, you are fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

An encrypted (protected) file can only be opened on the same computer that saved it.  However as long as you have a LOR License entered, files are only saved as protected if you specifically save it as protected.

As long as you don't save as protected files, you are fine.

Jim,

Just to clarify (because I know you are one who likes the finer details).
Encrypted = Saved on a PC without an active license. Contents can be seen, and even edited, but not copy/pasted, on another machine.
Protected = An option in Advanced and Pro that allows one to save a sequence in a manner that can not be edited at all. The events are hidden from view. Channels can not be changed. Only the music file can be changed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Don said:

Jim,

Just to clarify (because I know you are one who likes the finer details).
Encrypted = Saved on a PC without an active license. Contents can be seen, and even edited, but not copy/pasted, on another machine.
Protected = An option in Advanced and Pro that allows one to save a sequence in a manner that can not be edited at all. The events are hidden from view. Channels can not be changed. Only the music file can be changed.

Don, Thank you for the details.  I had assumed (apparently incorrectly) that the same process.  I have never dealt with either one before.  Learn something new every day.

Of course for a chuckle, open a S5 play.lms file with a text editor some time (notepad will do).  The first few line are human readable:

*                  This file is a protected sequence for the                  *
*                       Light-O-Rama S2 Software Suite.                       *

S2?

Hey guys,

thanks for the context.

so let me see if i understand this correctly, if i use an unlicensed PC to create the sequences, then it's encrypted, and if i then copy the sequence to the licensed PC - i should not expect that to work.

but if both pcs are licensed then, i should be ok.

FTR, not talking about exporting as protected.

thanks

1 hour ago, salighie said:

Hey guys,

thanks for the context.

so let me see if i understand this correctly, if i use an unlicensed PC to create the sequences, then it's encrypted, and if i then copy the sequence to the licensed PC - i should not expect that to work.

but if both pcs are licensed then, i should be ok.

FTR, not talking about exporting as protected.

thanks

Yes/No. It will work, but you will have issues with some features on the licensed PC (Since you saved it on the unlicensed PC)

You may realize this already, but your license includes 5 seats, so there is no reason not to register both machines.

12 minutes ago, salighie said:

Yes Phil - that's why i'm thinking about licensing the 'sequencing pc'

There is absolutely zero reason NOT to register a license seat on the sequencing computer.

Conventionally speaking, if i am not compelled to use a license, i will not use a license; You never know when you might need it - for example, if your 'player' pc dies and you have to rebuild it. 

The software is already restricted in terms of controlling lights/show if it's not licensed. So that is a great reason to use a license, but I wasn't aware, until last year, of the fact that sequences would be non-transferable from PC to PC if both PCs aren't licensed.

I don't believe that is documented anywhere other than the forum.

though, i can't say that i've read the whole software manual.

3 minutes ago, salighie said:

Conventionally speaking, if i am not compelled to use a license

If memory serves there are some features are in demo mode until you license the software. I seem to remember Beat Wizard being on of them. There could be others as well.
I would personally categorize this as a compelling reason to apply a license. :)

Technically licences are not transferable, and essentially they die with the machine. However LOR is very liberal with adding addition licenses if you should run out. Simply submit a request on the help desk and they will take care of it.

I have done so on more than one occasion.

2 minutes ago, Don said:

If memory serves there are some features are in demo mode until you license the software. I seem to remember Beat Wizard being on of them. There could be others as well.
I would personally categorize this as a compelling reason to apply a license. :)

Actually there are LOTS of features that are either in Demo mode or not available at all on your sequencing computer if it is not licensed.  For details, see:

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/

I agree with Don, very compelling reasons to register on your sequencing computer.

Never used the beat wizard, or perhaps i used it once and found it to be unreliable - when i create a musical sequence, I always start by listening to the song in 1/2x or 1/4x and use the tapper to turn on an empty channel for a fraction of a sec on each tap.

That gives me a better view of where the beats are.

• The topic was locked