Light-O-Rama Forums

My 1st LOL on its way!

rikerz

I just ordered my 1st 32 output basic starter package and the Ghostbusters sequence! I am excited and a newbie all at the same time!:) I will looking to you fine folks here for help and advice. I started with a Mr. Christmas last year but knew then that I wanted bigger and better! Now any advice on where to buy all those lights to control or any other advice that you might want to give? Thanks all and God bless......

rikerz wrote:

I just ordered my 1st 32 output basic starter package and the Ghostbusters sequence! I am excited and a newbie all at the same time!:) I will looking to you fine folks here for help and advice. I started with a Mr. Christmas last year but knew then that I wanted bigger and better! Now any advice on where to buy all those lights to control or any other advice that you might want to give? Thanks all and God bless......

Ohh i remember waiting for that package to come in the mail! those were a few long days.

Lights are not too bad in price, like someone else alredy said, its the cords that are the $$$

Also do you plan on using a fm transmitter for your sound? That can be expensive,but there is a $35 altrunative.

Make sure you upgrade to the s2 software after you install the version you get, (please correct me if im wrong but is s2 shipping, or does 1.6.?? ship still?)

Trust me this has a much more fun effect than the mr. christmass :)

Welcome

rikerz wrote:

Ah! Christmas in September ;-)

I already have a FM transmitter as I am BIG time into fireworks also! Any suggestions on purchasing extension cords, good place online or just check the big box stores and home improvements stores? Yeah, Christmas in Sept is way cool but the wait for my goodies is already killing me and I just placed the order about 2 days ago. When should I expect my shipment? Thanks again for any and all info and advice...!:)

rikerz wrote:

I already have a FM transmitter as I am BIG time into fireworks also! Any suggestions on purchasing extension cords, good place online or just check the big box stores and home improvements stores? Yeah, Christmas in Sept is way cool but the wait for my goodies is already killing me and I just placed the order about 2 days ago. When should I expect my shipment? Thanks again for any and all info and advice...!:)

The trouble with online, is even if you get a great price, the shipping will kill you.

I went to every store in the area (Lowes, Home Depot, Target, KMart, Big Lots, Ace Hardware and Walmart), and wrote down the price, length and color of every 16 guage outdoor rated extension cord they had. Then I put it in a chart with Length down and Color across, and filled in each intersection with the best price I found for that combination. That gave me a base price for any particular cord I might want.

Now I can keep an eye on the seasonal sales and stock and know if any particular cord is a 'bargain' or not.

Note that I didn't bother with any cord bigger than 16ga (light duty) since I would only need a few heavy duty cords and already have some, but could be as many as 1 per channel for the light duty ones and I don't have nearly that many light duty cables.

Personally

I use 12/3 cords to power my controllers and make my own spt1 cables to power my lights (much cheaper than buying 16/3 premade cables - and they look nicer across my yard)

Also - make sure you update your hardware editor, the latest version is here

http://www.lightorama.com/support.html

rikerz wrote:

I have another question please: Will my controller come with or without heat sinks? I did not see that option when I ordered. I ordered the preassembled 32 output kit.

Thanks all....

If it is the 32 Channel ShowTime Starter Package then it comes with heatsinks. Anything that we sell that is ready to plug in has heatsinks.

Dr. Jones wrote:

Personally

I use 12/3 cords to power my controllers and make my own spt1 cables to power my lights (much cheaper than buying 16/3 premade cables - and they look nicer across my yard)

Also - make sure you update your hardware editor, the latest version is here

http://www.lightorama.com/support.html

Many people use SP1 cord and 'vampire' plugs and sockets, and I haven't heard of anyone who has had problems doing that. But I am pretty anal; I only use outdoor rated cords (ok I use indoor cords under the eaves where they can't get rained on, sunned on or walked on), and try to have all my connections protected from water (using weather resistant power stakes). The first few years I even put any unprotected connections into zip loc bags.

rikerz wrote:

Just got an email from Mike at Wowlights to let me know that the heavy duty heat sinks are installed on my controllers! That Mike sure was fast with his email and my order shipped today!!:D:)

My controler shipped out a few hours after I orderd it, I was shocked :P

speedy service is always nice.

rikerz wrote:

I asked the UPS lady to come early if she could and I will stay busy until then....:)

Your ups people are that freindly? Mine never talk to me when I say hi. And they never knock on the door when a package comes.

doublea wrote:

rikerz wrote:
I asked the UPS lady to come early if she could and I will stay busy until then....:)

Your ups people are that freindly? Mine never talk to me when I say hi. And they never knock on the door when a package comes.

Oh yes, she is that friendly. I call her Slacker when she drops off late. I see my UPS lady Michelle almost everyday and offer her a cold drink every now and then and gave her a bag of candy yesterday. Keep UPS folks happy and we are all happy:D. Anyway, yes I had a hard time last night falling asleep thinking of what will arrive today and yes today is dragging its feet as well.. Only hours now to my 1st LOR package to arrive!!!!:cool: