Light-O-Rama Forums

note from a newbie

Guest guest

i've been browsing the chatroom on and off for weeks, i've watched the demos, read message after message of advise, and now i'm attempting to choreograph my first song... yes, it's past midnight... yes, i've been at it for hours... and so now i have two things to say:

1) you are all crazy
2) this is the COOLEST thing EVER!!!

just had to say that, joules :)

Bob leans out the window.. looks south down I-45 toward Houston and waves at Joules..

I expect to see the Houston skyline blinking this Christmas Joules ..

Welcome to your new obsession .. :laughing::laughing:

-- Bob

Are we having fun yet Joules? LOL I hear you, it's so cool. I spent much of Saturday evening playing with sequencing too. But, this was for my Halloween display. It gets better and better, no?

joules wrote:

i've been browsing the chatroom on and off for weeks, i've watched the demos, read message after message of advise, and now i'm attempting to choreograph my first song... yes, it's past midnight... yes, i've been at it for hours... and so now i have two things to say:

1) you are all crazy
2) this is the COOLEST thing EVER!!!

just had to say that, joules :)

I resemble that remark!! :shock: :ornament:

What you are about to do is more addictive than cigarettes, drugs, and alcohol. It will eat your "lunch" and your "lunch money" too! It will only take ONE dose/exposure/encounter to find yourself permanently HOOKED! There are currently NO 12 step programs for LOR or Animated Lighting Enthusiasts, but some of you will need an "intervention"!!! And you will not listen to further warnings once you engage in this endeavor.

Your PARENTS and friends will come to assume you have either died or are doing something on the computer. The time you will invest will not simply be in the purchase and installation of said devices. From now until next Christmas, you will be thinking about it, everyday! You will doodle Christmas Designs. You will automatically calculate wattage and amperage in your head every time you see or hear about Christmas Lights.

You will think about songs that will best show off your display's abilities. You will play CDs of Christmas music all year, just so you can imagine how you might "animate" your lights to it. You will search the internet for new and wondrous ideas. You will go to sleep and wake up thinking about lights, dancing, blinking, fading, twinkling LIGHTS. And you will find that whatever number of channels you initially purchase, IT WILL NOT BE ENOUGH!

You are advised to turn-back, lest ye have a strong temperment, and can resist urges that will present themselves to you.

GOOD LUCK, and Merry Christmas

that one always crackes me up

yep, it's too late for me now...

it's a vicious, vicious cyle - do i work more hours to support the habit? or cut back hours so i have more time to program?

haha! i got lucky, though, my boyfriend's in on it, too. he's wiring up the controllers now, as we speak (...so to speak). at least i'll get to see him the rest of the year, though the rest of my family will wonder what's happened to us!

cheers! joules

Be careful with this addiction Joules, it hits people of all different ages.

My 13 month old daughter (Juliette) bangs on the door of Dad's computer room, even when I'm at work, so that she can see the lights dance in time with the music. Unless she sees the lights flashing before I leave for work in the morning and as soon as I get home she is a right little grump-a-lot during the day... She particularly likes Sleigh Ride from the Carpenters and dances around the room. I don't think it will be too long before she has her own account here.

Dan, if you see a purchase order for more LOR bits with my credit card details, but with Juliette's name on it, please place the order on hold!!!

Cheers,

davidt

I, too, just joined the LOR bunch and ordered my first controller and software yesterday. I had been playing with the free demo for quite a while before making the leap. I am an avid garden railroader and thought this would be a neat way to combine the two at Christmas. You have me worried though, about eating my lunch and lunch money -- Garden railroading does that now. Looks like LOR gets my supper money though and I start losing weight.

Denny

Joules;

Welcome from another newbie. The people here are not only kind and smart, but will, from now on, be the only people who will truly accept and understand you. My former friends now simply shake their heads and mutter "poor Jerry". My family now gives me the smile (you know....as if to say"at least he's not a danger to himself or the community"). When you seem in a panic about Christmas lights, people say Christmas Lights???? it's APRIL! My reply "yeah, I see what you mean, times running out!" You will start getting the "Look" (the crazy guy on the corner look). You may start to see self help pamphlets on Obsessive Compulsive behavior. Psychiatrist's cards left in your mail box. Take heart, we all suffer from the disorder, and your new friends are really a great bunch! Yeah, you'll be the "nutjob" from January thru November, but just wait until December! Suddenly, you'll be a creative Genius! Come, Igor...time to go to the lab!

:tree:Let me get this straight. i can buy one of these machines and from 1 outlet run 8 extension cords off of it and the fuses won't blow, plus I can create a show!!!!!!

Tell me if I am wrong about the power cause this would solve all my problems and create a whole new set of ones

YodaPHX wrote:

:tree:Let me get this straight. i can buy one of these machines and from 1 outlet run 8 extension cords off of it and the fuses won't blow

I find it best to think of electrical systems much like plumbing. You can only force so much water down a pipe. If you want more water, get a bigger pipe. That's the reason a fire hose can fill a swimming pool so much faster than a garden hose.

The computer controlled sequence boards are the same way. Just because each channel can handle 10 amps doesn't mean you have 80 amps to work with on an 8 channel board. You have 15-20 amps feeding the board and you can spread those amps across the channels as you desire. Rest assured with all the blinking and dimming capabilities, you can do a lot with those 15-20 amps.

I'm a newbie also, and have been working on 2 songs for my LOR controllers. My co-workers have now quit asking what I am humming because the answer is always one of the 2 songs I have been choreographing. I am not sure but I think I even hum them in my sleep.:laughing:

The folks at the office know we are "going Griswold" this year, and have told me to post the date I am going to turn on the display so they can all come by after work to watch! This is just too much fun!!

Nadine wrote:

The folks at the office know we are "going Griswold" this year, and have told me to post the date I am going to turn on the display so they can all come by after work to watch! This is just too much fun!!

oh! and you're just in Katy! that's practically just down the street from me (a soon-to-be 24 lane street, but whose counting, right? hehe)

let me know, too, so i can come by and watch!

-joules

Welcome to all the newcomers. I have not posted in so long, one might think I too am new. I don't know that things are going to slow down too much in the next few months but I do hope to post more in the upcoming months. I am actually in Milwaukee (away from the family) for four more weeks, then I hope to get back into the swing. I've some great ideas to share for this year and look forward to hearing what you are all doing as well. Again, Welcome!

Steve