Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR TREE - Pouring rain

rondaxmas

Is it ok to light up this tree if it is pouring rain outside? wasn't sure with the  connectors if I should wait until it is dry out.  Thank you!

I’m in the I don’t care about the weather club.

I actually use the rain to help find problems.

If a prop such as my mt and mini trees go out they stay out.

My RGB has been running since my first day up and we have had constant downpours however the items afformentioned have been down way to much.

Rain almost every other day since Halloween night. Bad year here in the dirty south for us lightsters.

Cord ends outa puddles. Power that sucka up .

All my rain damage Cheap strings rusted leads)  happens whether it was powered or not.

Any heat generated, might help keep the damp out.

Same as most others here, display runs no matter the weather.  And it runs, and runs, and RUNS, never had any issues, and this year was my first year with RGB Lighting and the connectors they have {RGB is all LOR}.  Not a single issue and we've had some windy and extremely stormy wet days here in my area too.  Show kept right on running, no issues.

And as others stated, keep ALL power connections up off the ground.  I use green light stakes for that, I also use plastic screw down cable C Clamps to hold plugs and connections off the ground depending on how long the cord from the prop/lighted object is. 

I also use the plastic screw down C Clamps to run my cat cables to/from controllers and as a strain relief, they also help keep extension cords off the ground and hidden {I try and wrap my cords with green garland where possible, and sometimes the cat cables too}.   

And I also use those plastic child proof outlet caps {painted flat black} in all unused and exposed female connections on my AC controllers and AC powered light strands, including the male/female pass-thru plug.  

Been using and doing things this way for many years now and I have never had my show get shut down due to the weather conditions.

Edited by Orville

I do not run my show in the rain, sprinkles yes but not a harder rain. For one I don't get the turn out as most people around here stay home during the rain and second it's just not worth the risk as water and electricity just don't work well together.

Just now, Mr. P said:

I do not run my show in the rain, sprinkles yes but not a harder rain. For one I don't get the turn out as most people around here stay home during the rain and second it's just not worth the risk as water and electricity just don't work well together.

I'm not always home when the show is set to start, so many times I came home in a downpour, and yes, I even go out when it's pouring the rain if I have to, and many times I have to.  

And I've been doing what I stated above since my 2nd year in this hobby, and I've never had a glitch or issue and sometimes my yard is full of standing water as the drainage here is practically non-existent. 

It's why I try to keep connections as high off the ground if, and where, possible and sealed with items that'll keep moisture and water out.   And is why I've maintained using the methods I do in my display.   Been working like a charm for me for years now.

Fort lauderdale here, We had a big rain storm last Saturday,  four hours before our Christmas party with 58 guest coming. I dried out all the connections and the gfi still tripped. Changed outlets and it all came back on, I will replace that gfi this weekend, its old. All this made me think what could I use to keep the rain out of the sockets. AH ha Mortite, for weather stripping and such, clay like and easy to work with.  put a bunch out this morning as we are having another big storm come thru today and we will see what happens. I have used this stuff for years in the audio business ,so lets see if it does the trick, Keep yall posted.

David