Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 is Unknown Device and cannot be Configured

lsufiregal

Hi!  I am new here and we have a Pixie16 that we followed set up instructions for but it the device only comes up as unknown device.  I have searched the forum and the general consensus has been to update software.  I am using v4.3.24 which should be sufficient, but still, it will not recognize the device which means the Cosmic Color/Pixie Config button is grayed out and unavailable.  I am stuck at this point and don't know where to go.  Initially when I went to the SE a handful of bulbs on the 50 bulb strings were working, but now nothing is working.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

14 hours ago, lsufiregal said:

Hi!  I am new here and we have a Pixie16 that we followed set up instructions for but it the device only comes up as unknown device.  I have searched the forum and the general consensus has been to update software.  I am using v4.3.24 which should be sufficient, but still, it will not recognize the device which means the Cosmic Color/Pixie Config button is grayed out and unavailable.  I am stuck at this point and don't know where to go.  Initially when I went to the SE a handful of bulbs on the 50 bulb strings were working, but now nothing is working.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Did you go to this sticky in the forums:  J.R.'s Step by Step Instructions for setting up and configuration for a Pixie 16

My friend J.R. did a fantastic write up on this as many folks have had issues getting the Pixie 16's to work correctly.   I don't have one as yet, but if I ever do, I'll definitely be reading his step by step instructions to get mine configured and set up correctly.

Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

Hey!  Thanks so much for your reply.  I was using his instructions and couldn't get past step 10.  I finally gave in and uninstalled everything and reinstalled and it FINALLY recognized the device.  I just have to figure it out now.  Lol. I need to get on here and do some reading to see how to run my old box using regular lights and this new one using the smart lights at the same time.  I assume the preprogrammed tr as cks I bought last year are now useless.  Lots to figure out.

I added a Pixie II to my last year's display of 32 channels of dumb lights. Your existing sequences are not useless.

Once you open a sequences, you need to scroll to the bottom channel, left click and click on Add Device Below. Select the correct device from the box that opens up. And you should see a new group of "channels",  one for each port on the Pixie. If you click the "+" to open that group you will see the individual "channels."  

Are you running the Pixie on a separate network (with the red dongle)? If not, you need to. If so, you need to tell the new "channels" you added that they are on the second network.

After that, I found some RGB versions of my existing sequences and just copied the "channels" I wanted from the RGB sequence to the new RGB channels in the existing sequence. Then just tweak them how you want them.

Tip:

SAVE WITH NEW NAME SO YOU DON'T OVERWRITE YOUR EXISITNG SEQUENCES. AND BACK THEM UP!

Good luck!

1 hour ago, lsufiregal said:

Hey!  Thanks so much for your reply.  I was using his instructions and couldn't get past step 10.  I finally gave in and uninstalled everything and reinstalled and it FINALLY recognized the device.  I just have to figure it out now.  Lol. I need to get on here and do some reading to see how to run my old box using regular lights and this new one using the smart lights at the same time.  I assume the preprogrammed tr as cks I bought last year are now useless.  Lots to figure out.

It depends on your AC Controllers {CTB16PC, I'n guessing}.  if they are Gen 3, they can run on the same network, but you still need a red High Speed adapter {USB HS-RS485} to run them and the RGB lights together.  However I know the Pixie 16 can run at 1000K, the Gen 3 can only do 500K maximum, both can run on an Enhanced Network.    If you're using the black USB RS485 adapter, you'll need 2 networks{adapters}, one for Pixie 16 {red USB HS-RS485) and one for the AC Controllers, the black one will do even for Gen 3, but to get the most out of them you'd need 2 red USB HS-RS485 adapters and 2 networks, mainly due to the speed limitation on the Gen 3 controllers being only 500K, where the Pixie 16, again, can run at 1,000K, although 500K is usable with them, but would think the higher speed would be more beneficial since it can run twice as fast.

Now if these are older {version 2} CTB16PC AC Controllers, you will definitely need 2 networks, as the older controllers can not so more than 115K speeds. nor can they use an enhanced network.   So a black USB RS485 is sufficient for them to operate properly.  And then the red USB HS-RS485 would become Aux A, 1,000K{only for Pixie 16's, 500K for any Gen 3 controllers} and Enhanced for the 2nd network.

You'd set this up using the Light-O-Rama Network Configuration program that came with the suite.

And one thing I just noticed is you have an Advanced License, if you want to use Enhanced Networking, Intensity files or any of the LOR Motion Packs, this will require the PRO license, they are not available with the Advanced License.  So if you have any of these you may be trying to use, you'll definitely need to upgrade your license to PRO to be able use them.

Let me Know via PM if you would like help in setting up your master config so you don’t have to waste a lot of time.

As mentioned your current sequences are not useless. There are a couple simple steps to take to make it easy for you.

If my PM box is full just reply here and I will dump it out.

Ig pretty much stays full this time. I don’t have time to screen and dump a lot so I dump enough to allow somento sneak in.

Orville - thanks for the generous words

JR

18 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Let me Know via PM if you would like help in setting up your master config so you don’t have to waste a lot of time.

As mentioned your current sequences are not useless. There are a couple simple steps to take to make it easy for you.

If my PM box is full just reply here and I will dump it out.

Ig pretty much stays full this time. I don’t have time to screen and dump a lot so I dump enough to allow somento sneak in.

Orville - thanks for the generous words

JR

You're welcome JR and I have it bookmarked for sharing it easier as a link to those that seem to need it.   And also for myself, when or if I ever delve into getting one to use and learn to use.   I watch the threads on the Pixie 16 issues folks are having and take notes for later, again, if and when I may opt to get one. :D

Edited by Orville