Light-O-Rama Forums

E131 controller not communicating

Wolffy

My E131 pixel controller will not show up in network preferences or Advatek assistant. Red light is on and steady no green. I am plugged cat 5 direct to computer. computer ip is set to 192.168.0.10. (I have a RGB screen on a E131 working fine) So I feel its in the controller.  I am getting no yellow communication blinks from the cat5 ends. Yes I have tried several different cat 5 cables.

Any ideas? it is to the mega tree in the middle of the show NOT GOOD

23 minutes ago, Wolffy said:

My E131 pixel controller will not show up in network preferences or Advatek assistant. Red light is on and steady no green. I am plugged cat 5 direct to computer. computer ip is set to 192.168.0.10. (I have a RGB screen on a E131 working fine) So I feel its in the controller.  I am getting no yellow communication blinks from the cat5 ends. Yes I have tried several different cat 5 cables.

Any ideas? it is to the mega tree in the middle of the show NOT GOOD

It will not show up in Network Preferences, you have to assign it. In Network preferences you will assign the IP for your controller to the universes then under the Advanced button on the right you have to assign Unicast or Multicast.

CAT 5 /6  between 2 ETHERNET devices is not guaranteed to work (DTE-DTE) . These expect a Switch  (DTE-DCE) ports.  Many Modern switches support auto X-Over so you don't need that cable when connecting 2 switches together (the old ones had  either a switch or alternat jack on the last port)

or  you need a semi-special Crossover Cable or adapter like https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Crossover-Adapter/dp/B01I0E5EXU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1544729246&sr=8-5&keywords=cat5+crossover

34 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

CAT 5 /6  between 2 ETHERNET devices is not guaranteed to work (DTE-DTE) . These expect a Switch  (DTE-DCE) ports.  Many Modern switches support auto X-Over so you don't need that cable when connecting 2 switches together (the old ones had  either a switch or alternat jack on the last port)

or  you need a semi-special Crossover Cable or adapter like https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Crossover-Adapter/dp/B01I0E5EXU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1544729246&sr=8-5&keywords=cat5+crossover

Advatek is a Pixlite controller and uses a straight through cable and not a crossover when connected directly to the ethernet port of the computer.

These days, hardly anything out there does not support auto-crossover.  Therefore it is very seldom that an Ethernet crossover cable is needed.  I have one in my computer bag, but the only reason that it’s used is that I need a longer cable - it’s 25 feet long and my straight cable is about five feet.

Your E131 Controller, does it have 2 jacks or just one ?

1) could be that one is IN (Like MIDI) the other is through or out.

2) if the one input doesn't work, have you tried the other ?

3)if link light is working, only verifies one set of the pairs 1 & 2 are connected, (T+/T-) 3,6 (R+/R-) could be a jack problem, since you have tried  different cables.

Edited by a31ford

I was just talking to someone else about your problem.... I'm (we ?) are gona guess that pins 1 and or 2 are out of wack in the controllers jack, here's the thing, an RJ-11 jack will fit a rj-45 (cat 5), however, sometimes the company that is making the rj-11 jacks does NOT relive the plastic on the far outer edges of the rj-11 plug, causing the pin 1 and// or 2 (also 7 and// or 8 ) to get bent down in the rj-45 female (in the controller)........ causing them to not make contact with the rj-45 cat 5 plug.

7 and 8 are not used for cat 5

Edited by a31ford