Light-O-Rama Forums

News Crews

martsycart

Apparently a local news station in Nashville has requested viewers to submit homes for a local light show list. 

Needless to say they showed up to my house (in my first year) tonight. After hearing multiple horror stories about publicity exploding light show viewings/vandalism I immediately turned off my lights and went out and told them to stop recording, not publicize my name or address and asked them to leave. They didn’t seem to like that, so hopefully I don’t get reported as the Scrooge who has a light show 😂

Any experienced suggestions would be appreciated. 

Because of the street layout, I can't take a large crowd, so I don't want any of that kind of publicity.  About three cars is about it.  I'm perfectly happy to see only one...

I get visits at Halloween. Do I like it, no. But I will talk to them and let them air. Fox spent 6 hours at my home this past Halloween.

I was asked a few years ago to assist the city with reorganizing our tour of lights. At the time I was also interviewed by the City publisher. Its fun and gets the word out. Since I have two little boys and there is a lot of space where I live the publicity has brought more children. Its all about the children and the light hearted atmosphere that is created by the magic we make. In some cases it may be the last light show of their life. I did a custom faces sequences for a great friend here Don and I never knew until after the fact that it was for a terminally ill little girl who Childrens Hospital had a special bus take her to watch his light chow in LR AK.

I think that incident changed the way about the publicity. If I can help one person that is a great day/ week. month/ year.

JR

Wow, I bet you didn't expect that, especially in your first year!  This is my 4th yr doing light shows (2nd using LOR) and I definitely don't want the kind of publicity either that will bring way too much traffic down our side street.  Our neighborhood is pretty calm and quiet, and I don't want to generate so much extra traffic that our neighbors have a hard time getting in and out of their driveways.  There's also a LOT of people who walk & jog regularly, even in the cold evenings, so I'm concerned about their safety as well.  There are many very young kids on our block too, and even though parents should be watching them, I fear that they may dart into traffic.

I've only told our neighbors next door and across the street which FM frequency I'm using to transmit the music.  I think as soon as I put a "Tune to" sign on our lawn, word of our light show will spread, and then I'll have the publicity and increased traffic that I'm trying to avoid. 

Basically I'm putting on our light show for our neighbors, joggers, dog walkers, and anyone driving by who decides to slow down and watch everything go blinky-flashy for a short time before driving off.  The joggers & dog walkers can hear the music because I use an outdoor speaker.  But only our neighbors know which FM frequency I'm transmitting on.  Even though they love the lights & music, I've warned them about the dangers of too much publicity & traffic, so they've kept it to themselves.  So far, so good....I'm satisfied with our current viewing audience.

I get local channel news requests every year and I always tell them no. Just like Jim, I don't want the publicity as I don't need the extra traffic. We have plenty of traffic now just by word of mouth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I get local channel news requests every year and I always tell them no. Just like Jim, I don't want the publicity as I don't need the extra traffic. We have plenty of traffic now just by word of mouth.

what he said!!  

I think it would be neat to be on the local news and see my display on the tube. But, I live on a major highway that runs thru our small town with lots of traffic on it and there is no way I could handle the traffic that I think that would generate. I am the director of buildings and grounds at the local school and it is amazing how many kids and staff say they know my house when I am walking down the halls. And out in the community how many people ask before the season about if I am doing the decorations again and comment thru the season. I am well known in this community and that is who I do it for. So I would probably decline a news interview also. Now if I lived somewhere else that traffic would not be a problem, I might consider it.

Wayne

I know folks that hound news organizations to cover their light show as well as hound show viewers for donations.  I know of a couple of "lighters" that will not let you in to see there show unless you make a "donation" (I don't think they understand Websters definition of "donation").  IMO that is the wrong reason to do all this!!   

I started doing this not for any sort of short term fame but because I wanted to be that house/yard that made a 4 year old (or the 4 year old in some of us) smile and remember a lifetime.  Back when I was a elementary school age (think Fred Flintstone), my dad would take us around town to see how people decorated there houses.  I will always remember the unique ones (the guy that turned his front yard into Santa's village complete with a train that ran thru all the different areas, I think it was 1/8 scale).  The level of detail in those was simply amazing and memorable.

I do it for the smiles and if only one kid smiles then I have had a successful season.

• Like 1

Even though my display is small compared to what seems like MOST of the displays around the forums (32 channels plus 1 Pixie II and static props and lights), I have occasional cars drive by. I am the only one running LOR in the area that I know of, and my display seems larger than it is due to the size of my yard. I'm not sure what I would do if the local news showed up, but I don't think that's likely given my proximity to the city (DC) and other larger displays. There used to be a house 2-3 miles away that claimed 1 million lights, but I don't think it was that high. Although, flying in to Dulles Airport one year we could see it from the sky. And there used to be an entire street nearby that had lights on most every house but is now down to about half the houses with lights. And I'm pretty sure that a contestant on the Light Fight this year is drawing all the traffic, so I'm in no danger. And I live in a neighborhood that is basically three cul de sacs with only one way in, so traffic would be a problem.

Like Caniac above, I do it for the neighborhood and anyone else that happens to know about it, and as I'm the first house, EVERYBODY sees it.  So right now, I'm happy with that.

2 hours ago, Wayne K said:

I think it would be neat to be on the local news and see my display on the tube. But, I live on a major highway that runs thru our small town with lots of traffic on it and there is no way I could handle the traffic that I think that would generate. I am the director of buildings and grounds at the local school and it is amazing how many kids and staff say they know my house when I am walking down the halls. And out in the community how many people ask before the season about if I am doing the decorations again and comment thru the season. I am well known in this community and that is who I do it for. So I would probably decline a news interview also. Now if I lived somewhere else that traffic would not be a problem, I might consider it.

Wayne

I don’t think it’s the local news that will cause the problems. It’s when you want to go to that big national show. That can lead to the death of a light show- IMO.

In my old home I was asked to do interviews and I was polite and just said no thank you. That was just with Mr Christmas stuff. Since at the time my real stuff was in storage and I had no clue how to use this.

Moved here 7 years ago (9 miles from previous house) and was again asked and again politely said no.

Just before I joined here I was speaking to the city manager about the Tour of Lights. They admitted it had gotten forgotten about and they asked if I would help reorganize it. I did.

Last year was the tour of lights first year back and the city manager asked if I would be willing to do an interview with the local publisher before Halloween. This time I agreed.

Fast forward I This last Halloween and Fox approaches me without warning as I was setting up to hand out candy. I once agreed to do the interview and they spent about 6 total hours at my home. 

Not really a big deal and the headline said it all “he does it for the children”.

They said they will return on Christmas and I told them, no problem.

JR

My neighborhood and several of the churches in my area are the only ones that know about my light show, along with the forum users here.

We live in a manufactured home park, the roads are very narrow in my section and residents always park in the road {they're not supposed to} instead of their driveway, so a lot of traffic in my area would be disastrous.  Although my light display is relatively small due to no real yard, so I don't think I'll have to worry about any news crews or publicity from them.

But I am the only one in the park using LOR CTB16PC controllers and controlled RGB smart pixels in my display.

My neighbors keep asking where I bought the fancy lights that do all the neat effects, and when I start discussing it and the cost, just about everyone is ready to run for the hills, and most  state because it's too expensive and time consuming, they just don't have time to "program lights" to do what I have them doing. 🤣🤣🤣

13 minutes ago, Orville said:

My neighborhood and several of the churches in my area are the only ones that know about my light show, along with the forum users here.

We live in a manufactured home park, the roads are very narrow in my section and residents always park in the road {they're not supposed to} instead of their driveway, so a lot of traffic in my area would be disastrous.  Although my light display is relatively small due to no real yard, so I don't think I'll have to worry about any news crews or publicity from them.

But I am the only one in the park using LOR CTB16PC controllers and controlled RGB smart pixels in my display.

My neighbors keep asking where I bought the fancy lights that do all the neat effects, and when I start discussing it and the cost, just about everyone is ready to run for the hills, and most  state because it's too expensive and time consuming, they just don't have time to "program lights" to do what I have them doing. 🤣🤣🤣

get that at work all the time.  IMO it isn't so much about the hardware cost as the time spent designing the display to fit your yard, build the props, and create the sequences.  I am in the IT field so for most the hardware cost is minimal but when I tell them I start in January figuring out what I want to do for that years show is when I hear "I really don't have time for that" and they head for the hills.  I was raised that if you are going to do something then do it like its your sole purpose in life, give 110%.  If you are only gonna give a half @$$'d effort then expect to fail or have a half @$$'d show.

• Like 1

Not too worried about news stations or what not.  Ramona is a small country type of town of around 20K that's at least 30-45 mins. from any San Diego metro areas.  Usually one or two cars at the most and not that often.  Luckily if it ever did get busier with this neighborhood the houses aren't packed in close together (1/2 acre lots on average) and no house is directly across from the show.  Although I did have a SUV full of young kids stop and start singing to Imagine Dragons "Thunder" while I was out video recording the show couple of days ago.  They didn't even realize i was in the back of my truck bed right behind them......heheh.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

I live in neighborhood where the houses are super close together. And the streets are so narrow, if there are cars parked on both sides of the road, only one car can drive down the street at a time. The neighborhood just isn't built to handle traffic. I was just more shocked that this is my first year and they were already knocking on my door! I have a feeling one of my neighbors nominated me for the list. Luckily, we have a neighborhood Facebook page so I let them all know what's up. 

31 minutes ago, martsycart said:

I live in neighborhood where the houses are super close together. And the streets are so narrow, if there are cars parked on both sides of the road, only one car can drive down the street at a time. The neighborhood just isn't built to handle traffic. I was just more shocked that this is my first year and they were already knocking on my door! I have a feeling one of my neighbors nominated me for the list. Luckily, we have a neighborhood Facebook page so I let them all know what's up. 

If you didn’t/ don’t want to be on the your list you should be able to ask your city or whoever put it together to remove you.

I reorganized our city light tour and had a 3 year old list to go off. I went by each house in the old list and spoke with those at home and if not at home left my flier with info. Management asked me to revisit prior to the list being published just to ensure they were still a go.

Those that didn’t reply were revisited and if  still not home and didn’t reply by the list publishing date were not added to the list.

After that first year I handed the info down to the city beautification board person and now she manages the list.

She does  a good job sending emails out and posting in the community FB pages. This year there are 25 homes in the list. I started with 15.

The good thing about it, the city promoted it so very little chance to be shut down. My neighbors in my part of the SD have large lots. About 400’ between my driveway and theirs for the most part.

Being a good steward is half the battle. My show goes off at 9:00 pm weeknights and Friday/Sat 11:00 exception Christmas and New Years - all day and night.

Best of luck - happy Lighting.

JR

10 hours ago, caniac said:

get that at work all the time.  IMO it isn't so much about the hardware cost as the time spent designing the display to fit your yard, build the props, and create the sequences.  I am in the IT field so for most the hardware cost is minimal but when I tell them I start in January figuring out what I want to do for that years show is when I hear "I really don't have time for that" and they head for the hills.  I was raised that if you are going to do something then do it like its your sole purpose in life, give 110%.  If you are only gonna give a half @$$'d effort then expect to fail or have a half @$$'d show.

Yes, completely agree with that assessment about working and doing the best you can and then some! 

Sometimes I know my sequences are NOT where I want them to be because I run out of time to get them all completed, so sometimes I'll run them as they are and tweak them as I can during non show times, but then I have to cut off the off hours music when I'm tweaking them or finishing them up as I want them.   Don't need to be transmitting the same section of a song 150+ times as I tweak it to where it matches up better with the light timing to the song/music, especially with timing the RGB lights! LOL

But I get both from folks, the time required to set things up and get things arranged for a display and the sequencing of the song to the display elements.  I tell folks this isn't a Mr. Christmas, it takes time and effort to get things working as they need to be.  It's not a hobby for folks that are always on the go.  That we work on this stuff ALL YEAR LONG, we start the new year sequencing starting in January and go right on through December getting our displays ready and music/songs we want it for Halloween and/or Christmas for those that do both.

• Like 1

from say November on I will "acquire" items I may want to use in one of my two shows.  This year its been old satellite dishes for my Area51/WarOfTheWorlds Halloween plus came across some candy cane spinners and snowflakes from a fellow lighter (aluminum "bar") along with pixel clips.  Too much stuff to try and push into this years show but enough to kick it up a notch next year.  Also need to decide if I build a Falcon F48 or F16 and upgrade me P10's to ColorLight cards.  That sort of stuff takes time to acquire what I don't have and test.  It's worth it though to see the looks on the little kids faces.  It gets kicked up a notch when we dress as Mr and Mrs Santa.

1 hour ago, caniac said:

Also need to decide if I build a Falcon F48 or F16 and upgrade me P10's to ColorLight cards.

The F48 is awesome, it's like having a bunch of four port controllers and makes things like a large house so much easier as I can put little four port controllers all over the place. I am goin to do the yard with another one next year.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

The F48 is awesome, it's like having a bunch of four port controllers and makes things like a large house so much easier as I can put little four port controllers all over the place. I am goin to do the yard with another one next year.

I have six snowflakes and 10 candy cane spinners I want to light, F48 might be my answer to that.

On 12/11/2018 at 9:45 PM, martsycart said:

Apparently a local news station in Nashville has requested viewers to submit homes for a local light show list. 

Needless to say they showed up to my house (in my first year) tonight. After hearing multiple horror stories about publicity exploding light show viewings/vandalism I immediately turned off my lights and went out and told them to stop recording, not publicize my name or address and asked them to leave. They didn’t seem to like that, so hopefully I don’t get reported as the Scrooge who has a light show 😂

Any experienced suggestions would be appreciated. 

Stay off the news, I get asked every year by local stations to do a segment and turn them down.  One year they showed up and I politely told them to leave and not to come back.   I have had neighbors and friends who know writers for a local small paper and refuse it too.  I try to tell everyone keep the news people away.  The traffic will get crazy and neighbors get mad and that’s when you have shutdown your show.  I just this year created a Facebook page only because my neighbors requested it so they can post pictures and get announcements... but I was hesitant.    

• The topic was locked