Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking to use DMX Flame with CTB16 controllors

lonsenior

41 minutes ago, lonsenior said:

What will I need to be able to add a DMX Flame effect box to my LOR system? 

From your wording, do I gather that this is a box that shows flame effects, and not actual fire.  Further, that this is controlled by DMX?

Assuming that this is true, LOR is quite capable of controlling DMX devices.  There are a couple ways to do it.  One is to run a second RS-485 network from your show computer that is DMX instead of LOR protocol.  Then control the channels based on what the flame effects box uses.  The second way is to use an iDMX1000 ( http://store.lightorama.com/smdmxin.html ).  The iDMX will convert LOR commands to DMX commands.  The third way is to output from the computer on E1.31 - which is DMX over Ethernet.  Then use a E1.31 to DMX bridge card.  Note that either the first or third options would require upgrading your LOR software license to Advanced or Pro level.

And if you are trying to control actual fire, I agree with Don - LOR does not have the safety features that should be used.  Same answer as when people ask about controlling pyrotechnics.

27 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Same answer as when people ask about controlling pyrotechnics.

Hmmmm, so I guess Claymore mines are out of the question huh?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Hmmmm, so I guess Claymore mines are out of the question huh?

I'll let YOU stand in front of it (the side that says "Towards Enemy" while you hook it up to a LOR controller...

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I'll let YOU stand in front of it (the side that says "Towards Enemy" while you hook it up to a LOR controller...

You do know the first thing they teach you is the clacker stays on your person at all times.  I SEE THE LIGHT!   😁

On 12/10/2018 at 3:39 PM, k6ccc said:

From your wording, do I gather that this is a box that shows flame effects, and not actual fire.  Further, that this is controlled by DMX?

Assuming that this is true, LOR is quite capable of controlling DMX devices.  There are a couple ways to do it.  One is to run a second RS-485 network from your show computer that is DMX instead of LOR protocol.  Then control the channels based on what the flame effects box uses.  The second way is to use an iDMX1000 ( http://store.lightorama.com/smdmxin.html ).  The iDMX will convert LOR commands to DMX commands.  The third way is to output from the computer on E1.31 - which is DMX over Ethernet.  Then use a E1.31 to DMX bridge card.  Note that either the first or third options would require upgrading your LOR software license to Advanced or Pro level.

And if you are trying to control actual fire, I agree with Don - LOR does not have the safety features that should be used.  Same answer as when people ask about controlling pyrotechnics.

Thank you. Yes, it is flame boxes that I am looking at. DMX is the protocol. 

On 12/10/2018 at 3:39 PM, k6ccc said:

I did forget to mention that the flame box produces REAL flames. similar to this one. 

https://www.ebay.com/p/2pcs-lot-200w-DMX-Fire-Effect-Flame-Thrower-DJ-Stage-Projector-Machine-Show/2175595319?iid=172753893228&chn=ps

I've wanted to do this for a long time, and thought DMX controlled controlled with LOR would be fine. After reading Don and Jim replies I got to wondering what protocols are recommended for these fire boxes.

After a quick search I found a forum and some posts dealing with these props. I glanced over it and will go back and read it all later. It seems SPTME is the prefered protocol. It also talks of deadman switches, you know all that safety stuff. lol.

Can it be done with LOR maybe, but the fire prop will be "live" from the moment the sequence is loaded. Should a person, kid, or animal wander to close and the prop received an errant signal, then whooosh. ie no safety controls in place.

Anyways, an intersesting read. https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/dmx-pyro-controller.34065/

Alan...

One thing you could do is wire the LOR output through a normally open momentary switch.  That way LOR could not actually control the fire unless you are holding the safety switch.  Obviously you only hold the switch while you are watching.

The big problem with DMX for any potentially dangerous effects is that it is way too easy for the signal to get interrupted or stopped, potentially triggering the effect when you don't want it to go. There are much better systems for pyro, show control (automated sets, etc) than DMX. I don't have the specifics on it, but the thought of DMX controlling any type of pyro device really makes me nervous!

• This topic was unlocked and locked