Light-O-Rama Forums

Start up button

HLE

Looking at next year, I’m looking at adding a starting button to start my show on the first night then let the program run the rest of the season on its own. Any suggestions or steps on how to get this done?

That's easy.  Connect whatever start button to an input on a controller.  Note that to read an input, the controller MUST be on a non-enhanced network.  In the Show Editor, on the Options tab there is an option for Startup Type.  Set to "Show starts on a trigger", and set the Startup Trigger to whatever input you have wired the switch to.

I start my year round landscape lighting show on a trigger every evening.  the trigger in my case is a light sensor that detects that it is getting dark.

Listentoourlights has an amazing YouTube tutorial that will walk you through setting everything up. I followed his steps to the T and it worked out perfect. The buttons can be bought on Amazon. Either 5vdc or 12vdc will work. Here is the video.

• Like 1

That video is great! I've wanted to add a trigger to start my show for a few years, but was intimidated by the set up and programming options. Now I just have to find a motion sensor to use!

6 hours ago, Oliver Blatt said:

That video is great! I've wanted to add a trigger to start my show for a few years, but was intimidated by the set up and programming options. Now I just have to find a motion sensor to use!

Just search PIR sensor on Amazon. They are very cheap. I believe LOR has a wiring diagram for them too on their website. I've only used them for my security lights in my yard. They are super easy.

Just to make sure I'm looking for the right thing, the inputpup just needs the circuit to be closed to trigger, right? It seems that all the PIR sensors I'm finding are outputting a voltage when they are triggered, or am I reading that incorrectly?

1 hour ago, Oliver Blatt said:

Just to make sure I'm looking for the right thing, the inputpup just needs the circuit to be closed to trigger, right? It seems that all the PIR sensors I'm finding are outputting a voltage when they are triggered, or am I reading that incorrectly?

Input pup can be set either way with the HU

The PIR I have installed are contact closures or NC NO , the PIR also needs power (12V or 24V depends on models) (Oh and watch out, some have builtin series resistors for alarm panels open circuit detection)