Light-O-Rama Forums

Is there an easy way to replace a CCB in the middle of the string?

PaulXmas

Some of my bulbs are failing.

I have a bunch at the end of each string that I don't use.

Does anyone know how to replace the failed bulb with one of the unused bulbs at the end of the string?

It looks like I can just snap the bottom of the bulb off and then pull the bulb off the wire.

Thanks 

6 hours ago, PaulXmas said:

It looks like I can just snap the bottom of the bulb off and then pull the bulb off the wire.

I doubt that (although I don't have any CCBs).  I would assume they are better sealed such that they hard to take apart.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:33 PM, PaulXmas said:

Some of my bulbs are failing.

I have a bunch at the end of each string that I don't use.

Does anyone know how to replace the failed bulb with one of the unused bulbs at the end of the string?

Thanks 

No they DO NOT COME APART!  They are sealed.  The only way to replace a Cosmic Color Bulb{C7 type} or Cosmic Color Bullet is to unplug the strand from the controller and CUT the bulb out of the strand and then solder a new one in its place, making sure you line up the wires correctly from the new bulb to the same wires on the existing strand you're repairing.  

If you need replacement RGB nodes{providing these are LOR RGB nodes}, open a Help Desk Ticket through LOR, they will send you some replacements.  You'll need to tell them EXACTLY what type you need, either 5V: C7 type or Bullet nodes or the 12V ones, as these ARE NOT interchangeable!  So make sure you know the voltage of your RGB nodes you're replacing.  5V are 4 wire, 12V are 3 wire if LOR RGB strands.  Other vendors may be different.

You'll have to cut, splice, use heat shrink and use some type of weatherproofing product to seal the heat shrink ends as you shrink it over the soldered connections and a larger piece to shrink over all wires once the smaller bulb wires are soldered and heat shrink on them.  I use green heat shrink tubing for this since it matches the wire and hides the splicing.

Sorry, these are not just pull and replace bulbs, they require cutting, splicing, soldering, heat shrink and weatherproofing material to repair.  there is no easy fix for repairing these type strands.

Edited by Orville

On 12/9/2018 at 1:58 AM, k6ccc said:

I doubt that (although I don't have any CCBs).  I would assume they are better sealed such that they hard to take apart.

You're right.  They do not come apart.  See my previous comment.  I have a few I have to replace after the season, and I got my replacements from LOR Help Desk.   Going to have to cut, splice and heat shrink to repair them.  No other way to fix them.  Well I suppose you could add connectors, but that'd be very expensive to do to every bulb just to make them easily replaceable.   Even I wouldn't do that. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I have a few extra at the end of each string so I might just cut out the bad bulb and splice the wires.

• The topic was locked