Light-O-Rama Forums

Suggestions for an outdoor video camera system

Speedster

Next year I'd like to set up multiple video cameras so I can monitor our show remotely from my phone or a laptop. Mostly I'd like to use it in case there are issues that a neighbor might be able to help resolve if we're away, and also to monitor for theft/vandalism (hasn't happened yet, but you just never know....).  And if the video quality is good enough I'd also like to use the footage to create videos of our show from multiple angles. 

Any recommendations for a camera system and software that won't break the bank?

We use a Swann video system, been installed for near 7 or 8 years now and very happy with it. Purchased through Amazon way back then. I purchased an 8 camera 500GB system and everything needed was included. I wanted a hardwire system for reliability and it was pretty easy to install myself.

No failures of any kind in all that time and the system has unlimited free tech support which I have used a few times, especially after the iPhones went through a major update or replacement. I can view the cameras thru the TV at home, the iPhones when away or just out back and not near a monitor.

The one time I had the police view playback for a prowler around 4 am the deputy said he could identify the "perp" no problem if he ever see's him again so I can recommend them no problem. During the show a couple of the cameras are a little too close to overlit props for good viewing but I just swap to another view to watch the visitors.

My cameras are the 700 types, if I were to purchase again they have 1080 cameras available now at not bad prices, and 2 TB hard drive would be better than the 500 gb I have now, my cameras record 24/7 to the hard drive and usually they store around 8-10 days before rewriting over. There is an option to record only with movement but I just let mine record 24/7 as I can't see a reason for other.

20 minutes ago, Speedster said:

Next year I'd like to set up multiple video cameras so I can monitor our show remotely from my phone or a laptop. Mostly I'd like to use it in case there are issues that a neighbor might be able to help resolve if we're away, and also to monitor for theft/vandalism (hasn't happened yet, but you just never know....).  And if the video quality is good enough I'd also like to use the footage to create videos of our show from multiple angles. 

Any recommendations for a camera system and software that won't break the bank?

I have Hikvision (ONVIF), POE dome cameras. I got mine on sale because they were the lower 2MP versions being replaced by higher. These are all fixed focus,2.5mm lens.

They do the job they were intended for;. Security at night. That means they switch to IR mode (no color), they are annoyed by blinky lights (frequent light blooms). There are no microphones  on my  models as California require permission from the crooks and vandals before you make a audio recording (Thank you Lawyers :rolleyes:  be sure to check if your state is one of the 8 that has the same rule)

POE means that you only use 1 cable (but you need a POE switch ). I put mine on a separate 10/100 network as these are really 'chatty' and use a router to bridge needed IP ports (I also have a NVR, so that is what I look at to see all cameras)

No  way would I consider these for normal Youtube video

Take a look at https://www.wyzecam.com/

They are not the greatest cameras, but they are cheap.  I have a bunch of them.  This photo was taken by one just before dawn a few days ago.

Front_of_House_2018-12-03.jpg

Same camera at night - does not do as well (can't handle the dynamic light level), but good enough to know if a prop is working.

Add_second_singing_face.jpg

A view of the yard from a different angle through the window glass during daylight.

Yard_from_Wyze_cam.jpg

I have Lorex with color night vision. Not the cheapest but at around 6 years old for this system and my 10 year old system I dragged off my farm when I sold it, they last. Never a dull moment.

JR

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I'll research all the options and will probably buy something next spring after we get our tax return.