Light-O-Rama Forums

Insert SuperStar Effect Error

marcnorthover

Was attempting to use the superstar effects for the first time on my show, but get this warning.  My superstar feature level is 24_CCR.  I assume that means I can use 24 CCR strips?  The prop in question is 12 CCRs Tree 360 Up and Over.  Attached 3 images: 1) error received, and 2) the prop and 3) all my prop statistics for our house this year.

spoke.PNG

superstar-error.PNG

prop-statistics.PNG

Correct - partially.  It's easier to think of SuperStar license levels in terms of channels and not CCRs.

I'm not sure you have it built in the Preview as it will actually exist.  They way your preview is setup, you have a total of 300 pixels per physical string - 150 pixels up one side and 150 pixels down the other for a total of 3,600 pixels.  Is that really how your tree will be (or is) constructed?  Assuming that they are really CCRs, that would make your tree almost 50 feet tall.  Is that correct?

I was basically going to say what k6ccc said. Realize that where it says "Exact # of RGB nodes per leg" that means "number of pixels per leg."

Light-O-Rama strings are either 50 pixels, or 100 pixels per string. And as Jim says, if the are LOR CCRs then they have 50 pixels per strip.

My understanding is each CCR strip has 150 pixels, so then I should have 75 nodes per leg instead of 150.  Ultimately this is a 8 ft tree (16ft cut in half).

We have these ribbons:  150 LED, 3  LEDs per pixel:

http://store.lightorama.com/blcocoriiic.html 

Edited by marcnorthover

You made a common error for new people dealing with pixel strips.  In general terms, LED strips either have one one RGB LED per pixel or three RGB LEDs per pixel.  Although NOT universal, MOST 5 volt strips have one RGB LED per pixel and MOST 12 volt strips have three RGB LEDs per pixel.  The CCRs have three RGB LEDs per pixel.  So, yes, there are 150 RGB LEDs for the 5 meter (16 feet, 4 inches) strip, but there are only 50 pixels.  From a sequencing standpoint, you only care about the pixels and NOT the number of actual RGB LEDs.  If you look at the photo below of one of my WS2811 strips, you will see three RGB LEDs between the black control chips.

Planter_strip_backfeed.jpg

The other major difference in type of strips is the number of RGB LEDs per a given length.  The most common is 30 LEDs per meter, but other common sizes are 48 and 60 per meter.  There are more dense sizes as well, but many of those consist of multiple rows of pixels on the strip.  The strip in the photo is 12 volt and 30 RGB LEDs per meter (10 pixels per meter) so each chip is about 4 inches apart - you will notice that it's about the same width of one brick.

I guess I didn't understand the use of SuperStar.  I watched some demos on youtube, and now have created a group with some "dump pixels" and it is behaving as I expected.

SuperStar has a learning curve.  I have been using it since 2012, and for all practical purposes I sequence EVERYTHING in SuperStar - Pixel tree and star, arches, eves and roofline smart strings, dumb RGB, single color lights, even a channel controlling three blowers, and a channel that controls the amplifiers for my yard speakers.

This year I broke tradition and sequenced my P5 matrix (36K channels) and P10 matrix (18K channels) in Motion Effects in large part because I only have a 12,000 channel SuperStar license.

• Like 1

As Jim pointed out, your CCRII's have 150 LEDs, but each group of 3 LEDs is a pixel. So you have 50 pixels per ribbon. Since you have an "Up and Over" tree you have 25 pixels per leg.

In your Preview "Exact # RGB Nodes Per leg" should be set to 25

• Like 1