Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat 5 Connection from Black USB Box

Milwaukee..Chip

This brings the quesiton to mind....

Is the LOR using a standard networking protocol?
If so, I would expect that the controller is probably acting as a hub and probably makes no difference if you branch off both network connectors in the box to connect to other controllers or RF.

I'm just speculating on this. I'll be interested in hearing from people with more brains on this than me. I'm laying out 16 controllers at a commercial venue and it is starting to get hairy.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

This brings the quesiton to mind....

Is the LOR using a standard networking protocol?
If so, I would expect that the controller is probably acting as a hub and probably makes no difference if you branch off both network connectors in the box to connect to other controllers or RF.

I'm just speculating on this. I'll be interested in hearing from people with more brains on this than me. I'm laying out 16 controllers at a commercial venue and it is starting to get hairy.

Light-O-Rama uses RS485 which the the underlying electrical signaling and has pretty much been the standard for industrial control due in part to its high immunity to external electrical noise. On top of the RS485 is the standard serial protocol (start bit, data bits , stop bit(s).... ) Then on top of that is the "proprietary" (often copied!) LOR protocol.

The RS485 layer does not recommend a configuration where there are branches. It works best with a single line. Now when you use both outputs of the USB485B you still only have a single line with the USB485B somewhere in the middle of that line.

If you need to branch off you should use the LOR-REP repeater.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply... I have assumed that it was not coming after the long silence.

Being a businessman myself I really don't understand NOT wanting someone to (possible) create a bigger demand for my product, but oh well.... reverse engineering time!