Light-O-Rama Forums

Spinning orange Circle FOREVER.....

jamills706

OK - I'm really getting irritated by that little spinning orange circle on the left end of the tool bar every time I make a change. I am trying to simulate a singing face on my matrix which requires that I paste in multiple picture effects each with a different image in them. Each time I paste in a picture it takes FOREVER (at least 45-seconds) to come back to where I can paste the next one!!!!!! Good grief....just getting one phrase created is going to take me all afternoon!!!!!!

I am sure that spinning thingy is because something somewhere is being written to a file, or something like that...but good grief is there anything I can to do speed it up or get around it so that I can actually create my sequence?????

Further to this - is there any plans to implement Papgayo support into S5 so that a singing matrix image face can be implemented more easily???

Here's a work-around...

When you add any motion effect, the Sequencer will recalculate the intensities for the prop in the following region: going backward from the start of the new effect until it finds a time period with no effects, and going forward after the end of the new effect until it finds a time period with no effects. Because there is not a period where your prop goes completely dark, it is recalculating intensities for your big matrix prop for the length the entire sequence every time you make a change.

So if you are working intensively on a region of the sequence, temporarily create a narrow space (0.1 second wide is sufficient) without any effects at the beginning and end of the region. Now, when you make a change, only that region will be recalculated - which will be much faster. When you are done working on that region, you can fill in the empty spaces.

Again, this is just to speed up calculations when adding effects to a large prop (a 50x64 pixel matrix in this case).

Matt

Thanks for that tip Matt.  At this time, the primary thing I am sequencing in Motion Effects is my P10 matrix (48 x 128) and P5 matrix (64 x 192).  This will save some time!

One other tip...

When using the picture effect, don't give your picture file a name that ends in "-1". The picture effect will think this is part of a sequence of pictures and look for files with the same base name ending with "-2", "-3" etc. It calculates very slowly when it doesn't find such files. I will fix the performance problem for pictures ending in "-1" in the next release.

Matt

I discovered - quite by accident - that using the "-1", "-2" etc on images the Sequencer plays them all one after the other - like a super fast animated gif! LOL So i have been using other suffixes if I have multiple similar images! But thanks for that tip!!!

That functionality in the Picture effect exists because there are a number of tools out there that will convert movies clips into a series of images:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/extract-video-frames-to-images-using-vlc-media-player/

It can also be done in PhotoShop:

https://ihatetomatoes.net/convert-video-image-sequence/

Matt