Light-O-Rama Forums

Spectrum gone?

Denny

I don't use Spectrum, but just read that it was no longer being used or supported by D-Light. The way I read things is that D-Light is going to be hardware only? I am totally confused; even though I am firmly committed to LOR, I thought the competition was really good between the two. And now, what is Aurora?:shock::shock::shock:

http://www.d-light.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=135&Itemid=1

I'm not an expert on D-Light, but from what I understand, there is a new version of Spectrum coming out, and pending that, the old version has been discontinued. Perhaps not the best way of doing things, but who am I to judge their business practices.

One of the things that the new version is supposed to do is to support 'Firefly' in advanced mode (16 channels) rather than legacy mode (48 channels).

John,

This is from the D-Lights website, "Effective immediately, we are discontinuing sales and support of all versions of Spectrum. This was not a decision that was made lightly, but it is a decision that will ultimately benefit you, our customers.

In an effort to ease the transition from Spectrum, we have made arrangements with www.Aurorashow.com to extend a special offer to current owners of Spectrum. Aurora will be available on September 2, 2008. "

yep, saw that announcement after I finished with this forum and move to Planet Christmas.

It appears that if you buy a D-Light controller, you get Aurora, but if you already have your controllers and Spectrum, not sure that there is anything you can do except buy Aurora. I hope they add a significant discount for Spectrum owners who do not need any more controllers... There appear to be some features in the new controllers which are not supported by LOR at present. It sounds like D-Light users are currently in a 'twilight zone'. Probably will all work out eventually, but I'm glad I'm not depending on D-Light for this year's show.

Aurora is a program in the same vein as Spectrum and LOR which supports the programming of light controllers. It is from a company other than D-Light. The program is claimed to be better than Spectrum; it currently has some features which have been hailed by LOR users, and is missing some features which LOR users are used to. It is intended that it will support the new D-Light functions like 'ramped twinkle' and Firefly 'native (16 channel) mode'.

I was seriously considering Firefly, but now, not sure. Seems cumbersome to have to use "3 controllers" to change the color of each node and not sure what support will be available in the future. It might be wiser to wait and see what D-Light's new business plan turns out to be and how their hardware products interface with the available software. Will they design hardware to work mainly with Aurora or will they consider ease of use with LOR and AL also? I see some pretty neat possibilities for Firefly, but just not sure about ease of use.

Spectrum is gone...POOF outta here! their hardware is pretty good stuff and even though i havent seen Firefly, it has great potential. since D-Light has left the Sequencer market maybe they should open up Firefly's "Natural Mode" for use in LOR.

• 2 weeks later...

I had originally purchased Spectrum and some D-light boards. I couldn't get the Spectrum to run because it required so much computor (very badly writen code). I finally bought the LOR I and got it to work with the D-Light boards. I used them last year and just sat on the Spectrum. This year they sent me an email that said they are not supporting the Spectrum but I could upgrade to the new companies software for half price of a new version. Yeah... right. It never work before now I can buy it again.

Long story short, I went on D-Lights web site and sold the 4 boards I had in a matter of minutes. I guess some people are going to keep using them but I can't understand why. No Support, bad code and boards that don't work. I converted everything to LOR. Good Riddens.

minnesota bob wrote:

I had originally purchased Spectrum and some D-light boards. I couldn't get the Spectrum to run because it required so much computor (very badly writen code). I finally bought the LOR I and got it to work with the D-Light boards. I used them last year and just sat on the Spectrum. This year they sent me an email that said they are not supporting the Spectrum but I could upgrade to the new companies software for half price of a new version. Yeah... right. It never work before now I can buy it again.

Long story short, I went on D-Lights web site and sold the 4 boards I had in a matter of minutes. I guess some people are going to keep using them but I can't understand why. No Support, bad code and boards that don't work. I converted everything to LOR. Good Riddens.

This post is so full of inaccuracies and fabrications that it's not even worth attempting to set the record straight.

If you have some complaints about what I wrote please state your complaints. I know of no inaccuracies or inconsistencies. I have not exaggerated or fabricated any statement. So please elaborate.