Light-O-Rama Forums

GFCI issues

~DOC~

On 12/20/2018 at 9:26 AM, aidancar said:

For my display, In the past I wrapped my trees in incandescent lights and they were always the culprit due to the water getting into the bulbs and following theater on tree down to ground. I had installed a relay on the hot of each tree channel. If the outlet tripped I would flip a switch inside to quickly disconnect the trees and continue the show. 

I have since switched to mounded LEDs in the trees and haven’t had a trip yet. 

I be interested in knowing exactly how you did this? Can you explain more in detail or have a drawing / pictures of how you did this. 

On 12/21/2018 at 10:37 AM, DevMike said:

Shakes head...  It is NOT all good.

GFCIs are your LAST line of defense in case something unforeseen happens.  I don't care how big of a fence, how many signs, or if you are home or not.  People, especially children, who are entranced by your beautiful display WILL find a way to touch something.  

Safety requires MULTIPLE levels of reinforcement.  The accident WILL happen in the blink of an eye, it will not be something you can prevent simply because you are home.  You could be outside handing out candy canes and within 2 seconds a child has run across your lawn and grabbed onto a wireframe - a wireframe that just happens to have a bare wire.

Take a step backwards and assess if you are willing to live for the rest of your life knowing you killed someone's child JUST so you could run in the rain.

Hi Mike point taken. It’s still running under the GFCI and I am continually looking for how to improve for next year to avoid trips. Safety is always on top of my mind. You did bring up something that I forgot about. I am in the country and have farm animals. My fence is electrified. As of last night I have been turning it off. Wow never thought about that one. Duh!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 2:27 PM, ~DOC~ said:

I be interested in knowing exactly how you did this? Can you explain more in detail or have a drawing / pictures of how you did this. 

Oh wow, sorry for the late response, I forgot to check for notifications to this.

Here is a quick drawing that will work provided you know which channels are causing the issue each time.

The variation I made is slightly different as my "indoor switch" is actually an Alcorn McBride show controller that detects a ground fault and automatically kills those problem channels before automatically resetting the GFCI. If it happens a second time they stay off and broadcast an inclement weather voice line until the rain stops and I reset it.

So I have a 5th relay zip tied on which connects to the Alcorn Controller through that barrel connector. All you would need would be a rocker switch as shown but run its wires inside.

Let me know if that makes sense

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iMbQb0cWr2o5GI5a9KZBCPcB-_nMTbE5?usp=sharing

• Like 1