Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB-16PC Version Differences

mrduncan

I've been running LOR CTB-16PC units for about 10 Year.  Started with one and about every year, I would expand by one more CTB-16PC.  I have a total of 6 units now and looking for information on what generation version boards I have and what the differences are in the different boards I most likely have.

Edited by mrduncan

1 hour ago, mrduncan said:

I've been running LOR CTB-16PC units for about 10 Year.  Started with one and about every year, I would expand by one more CTB-16PC.  I have a total of 6 units now and looking for information on what generation version boards I have and what the differences are in the different boards I most likely have.

I suggest you take an inventory and make a list

Assigned ID,  Board Color (a differentiator) ,  Model and version Markings on the board (near the LOR logo), then use the HU to get the firmware in each.

Gen3 handle 500K speed and enhanced mode, Gen 1 and 2 do not go past 115K.

Another Gen 3 feature I use, is the ability to use the HU to lock channels into ON/Off mode (needed for devices with electronics, that accidental dimming KILL)

UPDATED  Gen 2 seems to have the model at the bottom of the board

Edited by TheDucks

Looks like I have

4 - Gen 1 V1 (lower middle board - red LED)

1 - Gen 1 V2 (lower middle board - red LED)

1 - Gen2 V4 (upper left board - green LED) (but the HU indicates it's a G3)

I'm currently running 4 - CTB-16PC controllers and 8 - DMX RGB controllers without any issues.

When does 115K speed become an issue? 

Edited by mrduncan

39 minutes ago, mrduncan said:

Looks like I have

4 - Gen 1 V1 (lower middle board - red LED)

1 - Gen 1 V2 (lower middle board - red LED)

1 - Gen2 V4 (upper left board - green LED) (but the HU indicates it's a G3)

I'm currently running 4 - CTB-16PC controllers and 8 - DMX RGB controllers without any issues.

When does 115K speed become an issue? 

I would believe The Gen3 message. G3 have Green LEDS

If you are all Dumb devices, 115K is fine.   The G3 can do 500K, and share a small Pixie network with ease.

All that says, if you do need to go that fast to keep up, you also should run 2 networks. anyway

Look at this chart http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

LOR indicates only to upgrade firmware if you are have issues with your LOR controllers.  Based on this, is there any advantage in updating firmware?

36 minutes ago, mrduncan said:

LOR indicates only to upgrade firmware if you are have issues with your LOR controllers.  Based on this, is there any advantage in updating firmware?

Read the change log for the firmware. Does it correct (add )a feature that you need to use ON THAT CONTROLLER (or its Network)?

Enhanced mode requires you to upgrade to Pro even to use that.

• The topic was locked