Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't save show to 4GB memory card

Kulstad

We are trying to create a show that, once compiled, is more than 2GB in size.  I have a 4GB Sandisk SD Card (formatted in FAT, 32Kb allocation unit size, the exact same as our 2GB Sandisk SD Card), but when I click the CREATE SHOW button on the Hardward application (v3.12.0 [Advanced license]), LOR doesn't seem to recognize the card.

I don't have this issue with the 2GB SD Card at all.

How can I save my show to a 4GB card?

Did you reformat the card before writing the files to it?  Depending on the number of channels and complexity of your sequences, you might experience issues using SanDisk SD cards, or any other brand of SD cards that isn't a Kingston card.  It is very highly recommended to use only Kingston SD cards due to the performance issues of other brands.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Speedster said:

Did you reformat the card before writing the files to it?  Depending on the number of channels and complexity of your sequences, you might experience issues using SanDisk SD cards, or any other brand of SD cards that isn't a Kingston card.  It is very highly recommended to use only Kingston SD cards due to the performance issues of other brands.

I made sure to re-format the card before attempting to save the show (ran into that issue before 🙂 ).  We are running 128 channels, using sequences purchases via WOWLights.

Is there a particular reason for using Kingston cards only, or this is a known-but-unaddressed issue with LOR?

Just now, Kulstad said:

I made sure to re-format the card before attempting to save the show (ran into that issue before 🙂 ).  We are running 128 channels, using sequences purchases via WOWLights.

Is there a particular reason for using Kingston cards only, or this is a known-but-unaddressed issue with LOR?

known and addressed many times. sandisk and others are perplexed. just stick with Kingston whenever possible. I too previously bought from Wowlights and their Lexar works fine - but I think Kingston makes Lexar...

are you using the show builder utility?

Just now, Mega Arch said:

are you using the show builder utility?

I am attempting to write/save the sequences via the Hardward editor

screen001.jpg

kinda confusing - your profile says 5.2.2 but you are using 3.12.0.

Anyway - I use the Simple Show Builder - easy peasy - works every time.

7 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

kinda confusing - your profile says 5.2.2 but you are using 3.12.0.

Anyway - I use the Simple Show Builder - easy peasy - works every time.

Sorry for the confusion.  My profile info is for my personal setup.  The issues I am discussing are for my neighbour's setup.

Is there a size limit to the SD card I can/should use?  My "shopper on the scene" can't find any 4GB Kingston/Lexar SD cards anywhere.

EDIT: I just tried using the Simple Show Builder (on the 4GB SanDisk), and I'm getting the same error:

screen002.jpg

Edited by Kulstad
additional info

4 minutes ago, Kulstad said:

s there a size limit to the SD card I can/should use?  My "shopper on the scene" can't find any 4GB Kingston/Lexar SD cards anywhere.

I've used 8 GB Kingston SD cards w/o any problems.  I wanted to buy a few more spares but had trouble finding a US seller so I ended up getting a few 16 GB Kingston SD cards.  Haven't tried them yet but I'm assuming they'll work OK since I have the newest version of the MiniDirector.

9 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

bad file name suggests might be trying to save something besides the .lms

I didn't realize there was more to this error string (these screens appear after the first error) (appears I've exceeded my image upload limit, so the following is the text [verbatim] from the message boxes):

"There was a problem while attempting to create the MP3 show.  Error was: " (there was no text after "Error was:")

"Your SD card was NOT CREATED.  Please make corrections and re-run Simple Show Builder"

neighbors v3 probably can't handle everything you've created.

but I'm not sure - maybe someone else can chime in here.

sorry

3 hours ago, Speedster said:

I've used 8 GB Kingston SD cards w/o any problems.  I wanted to buy a few more spares but had trouble finding a US seller so I ended up getting a few 16 GB Kingston SD cards.  Haven't tried them yet but I'm assuming they'll work OK since I have the newest version of the MiniDirector.

I just purchased one of these cards (16GB Lexar SD).  Couldn't format it to FAT (even through command-line); could only format it to FAT32 (exFAT and NTFS were also options).  The show software recognized it, and wrote to the card just fine, but when put in the master controller, it wouldn't recognize the card

11 hours ago, Kulstad said:

I just purchased one of these cards (16GB Lexar SD).  Couldn't format it to FAT (even through command-line); could only format it to FAT32 (exFAT and NTFS were also options).  The show software recognized it, and wrote to the card just fine, but when put in the master controller, it wouldn't recognize the card

Your SD Card is of a larger capacity than the Director can handle.  I just checked the manual, 8GB is the maximum size SD card you can use with the Newer G3 Director units.   16GB, it won't recognize the SD Card, and hence why it's not seeing it when you insert it.

Look at Page 43 of the Director unit specifications {providing this is a G3 Director}, older Directors can't use higher than{it was either 2GB} or possibly 4GB.  Been awhile, and couldn't locate my older manual to check this one for sure on the maximum SD Card size.

Edited by Orville

1 hour ago, Orville said:

8GB is the maximum size SD card you can use with the Newer G3 Director units.   16GB, it won't recognize the SD Card,

Well that's a bummer since that means I won't be able to use the two 16GB Kingston SD cards I just received from Amazon.  I don't have any other use for them so I'll just hang on to them in case I ever get a newer version of the MiniDirector in the future that can handle 16GB cards.

10 minutes ago, Speedster said:

Well that's a bummer since that means I won't be able to use the two 16GB Kingston SD cards I just received from Amazon.  I don't have any other use for them so I'll just hang on to them in case I ever get a newer version of the MiniDirector in the future that can handle 16GB cards.

I've always bought my mp3 controller sd cards from the link below. Pictured as Lexar - but have always shipped Kingston. Good company service too.

http://store.lightorama.com/sdmemorycard.html

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

I've always bought my mp3 controller sd cards from the link below. Pictured as Lexar - but have always shipped Kingston. Good company service too.

http://store.lightorama.com/sdmemorycard.html

Thanks, I'll probably order a few during the spring sale, even if they're not on sale.   For now I think I'll be OK with the 3 Kingston cards that I have.

2 hours ago, Speedster said:

There may be a firmware update in the future that could increase the capacity, but not sure if that's what would do that, or if the circuitry itself would have to be changed to accommodate a larger capacity SD Card in the Director.  Hopefully it could just be a simple firmware update and then you'd have more capacity than you'll probably ever need.   But in this ever-changing hobby you just never know.

• The topic was locked