chauvet F-1700 vs arena hazer, which one?

medman2000

Any thoughts? I have several of the chauvet F-1700 (15,000 cubic feet) but not DMX controlled. Looking at the chauvet arena hazer (20,000 cubic feet) because I could use it with LOR DMX during my halloween display and need more fog - but it is about 3x the cost of the F-1700. If I bought 3 more of the F-1700 I think I could fill up my cul-de-sac pretty well. I'm using these outside, sometimes wind sometimes not but use them nonetheless because the kids love em.

Anyone have any experience with the arena hazer vs the 1700?

Thanks in advance!

medman2000

How about adding the DMX-3F controller to the 1700?

This would give you DMX control of the 1700

Dr. Jones wrote:

How about adding the DMX-3F controller to the 1700?

This would give you DMX control of the 1700

Hrm, didn't even know this existed. I'll look into it, thanks!

You will need 1 DMX3-F for each fog machine. Just ordered mine I should get them next week.

Also be aware of hazer vs. fogger. Since you're trying to fill up a cul-de-sac outside with fog, you'll definitely want to stick with a fogger.

The hazer is used to enhance the lighting effects, and when you don't want a fog. You can barely see haze from the hazer.

Thanks for the heads' up - didn't know the real difference between haze and fog - looks like I get one more fogger, and 4 of the dmx units, and I'm all set. As long as there's no wind :)

Thanks guys!

It looks like you may need to get a couple of these engine powered babies!

peasoupfog.jpg

This is a twin engine Pea Soup S-Cloud Thermal Fogger. They rate this at 250,000 Cubic Feet of fog per minute.

Looks kinda expensive though. I have a firm saying of, "If I have to ask how much, I can't afford it!" Plus there's no DMX control...

The other thing you might want to try is to cool down your fog from your existing foggers and make a low-lying fog across your cul-de-sac. It takes a lot less fog to fill up an area on the ground then the air above it. Plus it's a lot more spooky looking, especially if you get lights down low around your cul-de-sac to light up the ground fog.

If you're interested, I can find the web page on my site for the fog chiller I made that worked extremely well. Takes a pump, some hoses, a bit of imagination, and a trip to the junk yard. I think I remember making a video too...

Just a thought if you don't want to buy more foggers...

Hrm, I couldn't find a price for that pea soup machine - so I think I'm in the same mind as you are - has to be too expensive!

Yes, if you have a link to something that would chill the fog from my current Chauvet units I'd love to see it - that has always been a problem in my area - fog immediately starts going up, and then the wind catches it. Awesome when no wind, but that happens once every 3-4 Halloweens.

Thanks!

Ok, I put my lame halloween site back together. It's at http://www.rjsoap.com

The particular link you're looking for is http://www.rjsoap.com/fogcooler.html

I don't know where the video is though... This thing is coming up on 10 years old.

As you have a higher output fogger, you may have to add a fan of some sort, and probably some sealant around the auto heater core. I get email all the time from people that have taken this simple concept and have made some rather outstanding fog chillers from it! Just be careful what you put around the fogger output, that thing gets hot, and hot is no good when a flame starts! :)

Hello!

I have a question. Im looking into the F-1700 fogger. But I have no clue about this "DMX" stuff.

In addition to the fogger, what else would I have to purchase to get the fogger to work with my light show?

Thank you

Eric

medman2000 wrote:

Hrm, I couldn't find a price for that pea soup machine - so I think I'm in the same mind as you are - has to be too expensive!

Yes, if you have a link to something that would chill the fog from my current Chauvet units I'd love to see it - that has always been a problem in my area - fog immediately starts going up, and then the wind catches it. Awesome when no wind, but that happens once every 3-4 Halloweens.

Thanks!

http://gotfog.com/fog_machine_chiller.html

I actually built this chiller. Works especailly well with my Le Maitre G150 Pro Fogger. Its just what I need to chill the enormous amount of fog that the G150 produces.

thebaronn wrote:

Hello!

I have a question. Im looking into the F-1700 fogger. But I have no clue about this "DMX" stuff.

In addition to the fogger, what else would I have to purchase to get the fogger to work with my light show?

Thank you

Eric

idmx by lor - for lor

dmx-3f by chauvet- controlled by the idmx through lor

thank you

Bought the idmx today.

Another question:

I have a yard, 50ftX20ft that i want to fog.

WHich fogger do you think is a good idea?

Is the F-1700 overkill??

Thank you

eric

• 2 weeks later...

No the F-1700 is not overkill but like mentioned it is best to use them with a fog chiller to get the best effect and to have the fog last longer. If you are in an area where it gets cold or cool on Halloween that is even better because it will hug the ground even longer. The reason fog rises is because it is being heated when it is discharged. So if you take that fog after it has been discharged and cool it, it will hug the ground.

This is the page from which I made my fog chiller from.

http://www.gotfog.com/fog_machine_chiller.html

If you are going to do this it would be best to get your coolers now while they are somewhat still on sale if you can find them. Because once they take them off the shelf for the season it is hard to find a cheap 48+ qt ice chest. It needs to be at least 48 qt. Bigger the better.

• 3 weeks later...

What kind of fog juice does everybody use?

Do I have to purchase the super expenseive chauvet fog juice to use with the chauvet fogger?

What do you reccommend?

Thank you

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a little but late but it would be good for reference later. The most popular and the best IMO is the Froggys Swamp Juice. It is probably the best bang for the buck. You can use any manufactures juice but I would NOT recommend making your own despite what others say. It will have long term effects and damage to your machine. The froggys is a real dense fog that lasts longer and works really well outside. They sell a freezin' fog that they say is made for chillers but it also costs more. Myself and others have found that the Swamp Juice works better for a chiller in a outdoor setting because of how long it lasts compared to the freezin' fog and it is cheaper. Only thing about this is you have to order this online, no one I know carries it local yet.

Here is the link to them. I would recommend buy it by the case though because of shipping. It is just more practical to order it that way since shipping is a lot just for one galloon.

http://www.froggysfog.com/