Jump to content

Unit Numbers Set-up


Paul Moore
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have nothing set-up outside yet but I''m hoping someone can confirm if I have the Unit ID's set correctly.

I understand that my Unit ID 01 is my 16 channel controller, but then I thought my CCRII controller would then come under Unit ID 02 

1059924959_ChannelSetup.thumb.jpg.efa01cbd36e77d5f816830ce9911b298.jpg

Edited by Paul Moore
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AC and the CMB24 (dumb RGB) are single ID controllers.   IIRC the CCR2 has 1 output, so i also consumes 1 ID.

(Pixies consume 1 ID for each port. Pixie8 = 8 Id's)

The big question. Did you configure your CCR2?  ID 2 for your first would be logical (with a Pro License, you don't need to be rigid.)

So it looks like you have 4 of these. Each needs its own ID set (instructions are in the controller manual) eg, 2,3,4,5 (remember to mark the setting on the controller for ease of placement)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From your picture, it appears you have a setup for a Pixie4 or even possibly 2 Pixies2. (see The Ducks comment above.)

What I see that doesn't look right to me is your starting and ending circuits for Unit ID's 03, 04, and 05 - see picture.

paul1.png

In a normal setup each string should start with #1 pixel and if a 50 pixel string should end with 150

A quick lesson in Pixie channel counts. Each smart pixel = 3 channels (RGB), assuming you have 50 led strings, 50 pixels X 3 channels (RGB) = 150 channels (circuits).

The ways yours is setup would mean the first pixel on Unit ID 02 would not light, the first 2 pixels on Unit ID 03 would not light, and the first 3 pixels on Unit 04 would not light. Also by having the ending circuits end higher than 150, you are sending data to pixiels that do not exist. Makes sense?

Without knowing what controller you are using, it's a guessing game. As The Ducks mentioned it matters what the starting Unit ID you assigned. Hardware Utility will automatically assign as many Unit ID's as it needs based on the controller.

Alan...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, default said:

From your picture, it appears you have a setup for a Pixie4 or even possibly 2 Pixies2. (see The Ducks comment above.)

What I see that doesn't look right to me is your starting and ending circuits for Unit ID's 03, 04, and 05 - see picture.

paul1.png

In a normal setup each string should start with #1 pixel and if a 50 pixel string should end with 150

A quick lesson in Pixie channel counts. Each smart pixel = 3 channels (RGB), assuming you have 50 led strings, 50 pixels X 3 channels (RGB) = 150 channels (circuits).

The ways yours is setup would mean the first pixel on Unit ID 02 would not light, the first 2 pixels on Unit ID 03 would not light, and the first 3 pixels on Unit 04 would not light. Also by having the ending circuits end higher than 150, you are sending data to pixiels that do not exist. Makes sense?

Without knowing what controller you are using, it's a guessing game. As The Ducks mentioned it matters what the starting Unit ID you assigned. Hardware Utility will automatically assign as many Unit ID's as it needs based on the controller.

Alan...

 

Great catch: I missed the start and end subtlety

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have older CCB-100 {CCD Controllers} and depending on how you set them up in the HWU, they can have either 1 ID per port{ID 02 and ID 03} or have only a single ID {02} for both ports, but the channels are numbered slightly differently.  You have an S1 Unit 02 for Port 1 of an RGB Strand and the 2nd Port would be 02 Port 2 for the 2nd strand of 50 pixels.

Here's a screen shot of how mine are set up in the SE version 4.3.36 to show what I know about this in S4.

  I know you're using S5, but I wouldn't think there'd be much difference in how the channels and ports would be set up.  But I'm still trying to learn some of S5 via it's documentation, as I'm probably not going to use it, but still like to try and know somewhat of how it works, just in case I ever want to try and use it.  Just to late in the season to learn new stuff at this time.

 

CCD Controller Channel Set Up_Single ID - 2 Ports.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guys thanks for your help on this.

 

So this is the Controller I have bought:

image.thumb.png.7f09ced49e875ce79bdd90f387424a72.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have 2 strings of 100 [smart pixels] of which I hope I can run off the above controller. Recently purchased from LOR

 

 

Edited by Paul Moore
Picture Size
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Paul Moore said:

Guys thanks for your help on this.

 

So this is the Controller I have bought:

image.thumb.png.7f09ced49e875ce79bdd90f387424a72.png

Each box uses 2 ID's (you specify AND set the box to the first one), the second port inherits its ID from the first

So the first one is '02', the second is '04'

Strings are attached to 02,03,04,05

All (50cnt) strings start with Channel 1 and end with 150

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paul Moore said:

Sorry I just updated it - its 2 strings of 100 I have

So basically Set the Unit ID as 02

The get the start & end circuit count correct ?

In your sequence, the second string is ID 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First Box

String 1 - Unit ID 2, channels 1-300             String 2 - Unit ID 3, channels 1-300

Second Box

String 1 - Unit ID 4, channels 1-300             String 2 - Unit ID 5, channels 1-300

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

In your sequence, the second string is ID 3

In the OP's sequence, yes I agree.  But it doesn't have to be, at least not in S4, S5 I can't say just yet{still reading through S5 documentation}, but would think you should be able to use a single ID for one controller in S5 as well, if that's your preference.

All my CCD Controllers {CCB-100's} are all set as a single unit ID as in my screen capture (I have 5 CCB-100's and they are single ID units: Unit 01,02,03,04 and 05}, instead of 2 units, and each single ID unit is controlling 50 pixels per port, mine breaks the two strands apart and labels them as s1 {Strand 1} and s2 {Strand 2} in the SE on a single controller, 150 channels per 50 pixel strand.  I just prefer a single unit ID for each controller because I number my controllers on the outside with their ID #, just easier for me, however YMMV. {And for anyone that doesn't know what YMMV means: "Your Mileage May Vary".}   I figure sooner or later, someone is going to ask.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Orville said:

In the OP's sequence, yes I agree.  But it doesn't have to be, at least not in S4, S5 I can't say just yet{still reading through S5 documentation}, but would think you should be able to use a single ID for one controller in S5 as well, if that's your preference.

All my CCD Controllers {CCB-100's} are all set as a single unit ID as in my screen capture (I have 5 CCB-100's and they are single ID units: Unit 01,02,03,04 and 05}, instead of 2 units, and each single ID unit is controlling 50 pixels per port, mine breaks the two strands apart and labels them as s1 {Strand 1} and s2 {Strand 2} in the SE on a single controller, 150 channels per 50 pixel strand.  I just prefer a single unit ID for each controller because I number my controllers on the outside with their ID #, just easier for me, however YMMV. {And for anyone that doesn't know what YMMV means: "Your Mileage May Vary".}   I figure sooner or later, someone is going to ask.

 

You are talking about the Unit ID Mode where the user can set  Normal, Legacy or Dual Normal on the board config. All Pixie controllers ignore this setting so a Pixie2 uses two IDs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mr. P said:

You are talking about the Unit ID Mode where the user can set  Normal, Legacy or Dual Normal on the board config. All Pixie controllers ignore this setting so a Pixie2 uses two IDs.

Now I understand that.   I thought they were talking about a CCD Device, like the CCB-100 Controller, as the screen shot above look just like my controllers, so I thought that's what the OP had, same type controller that you could have them as a single unit.  If I knew it was a pixie, I would have understood that from the start.  But I don't recall seeing "pixie" in their question, and I just looked at what he says he bought.  Those aren't Pixies, at least that's not what's in the description, those are CCD Version 2 Controllers, and the only difference between those and mine being Version 1 are the CCD V2 Controllers are 12V and can do 100 pixels per port {200 pixel total}, whereas mine V1 are 5V and can only do 50 pixels per port {100 total}, and either can be set as a single unit ID or dual Unit ID.

From what I'm reading and seeing in the OP's posts/replies, he's NOT using Pixie Controllers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

He is using a CCR ll which is a Pixie 2 controller.

Have to disagree or I have to say mine are the SAME thing, only version 1 and 5V. 

I just checked the LOR Store and it states all those new CCC II Controllers replace the older CCC I Controllers, which is EXACTLY what I have and they aren't called Pixie Controllers, what the OP has IS NOT a Pixie Controller. 

Nowhere in ANY of their descriptions on the LOR site I could find call this controller a Pixie Controller, it does state that they use LOR's new 12V Pixel Bulbs, 12V Pixel Cosmic Color Ribbons and 12V Pixel Bullets.  

Again, only difference is they handle more RGB lights per port {100 per / 200 total} and are 12V instead of 50 RGB lights per port {50 per port / 100 total} and 5V.  That's the ONLY differences I see between them and I can find no reference anywhere in their description calling them a Pixie controller or a Pixie 2. Those controllers I find called Pixies are 4, 8 or the PixCon 16, and those ARE Pixie Controllers as it states it right in the name. 

What the OP is showing and saying he has ARE NOT! Unless you have a link I can't find that states otherwise, but I have not found one.

I suppose if you want to call it a Pixie 2 you can, but I go by the literal text directly on LOR's website that details what they are and what they are for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a picture of the inside of the controller:

Pixie2D V3. Its a Pixie Controller with 2 ports

1056686862_IMG_0659(2).JPG.476ed4cfb32b97e7678bc0792a8adfb8.JPG

So If I were to setup the Controller as a single UNIT 02 I run into carryover ?

1 to 150, 151 to 300, 301 to 450, 451 to 512 with carryover of 88

I have looked again and I have 4 X 50 Pixel Strings that came with this.

As Mr. P pointed out the setup below  - would string 1 be from Port 1 ?

First Box

String 1 - Unit ID 2, channels 1-300 (2 x 50 pixel strings) Is this port 1 ??            String 2 - Unit ID 3, channels 1-300 (2 x 50 pixel strings) Is this port 2 ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Don said:

We will.

We're right.

Then Why is it not identified as such in any references where they are located on the LOR site?  Just want to know why that particular wording isn't there if that's what they are "supposed" to be called.

And as far as the OPS current photo of the inside of his, mine look IDENTICAL to that board with only the voltage being different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Orville said:

 

I suppose if you want to call it a Pixie 2 you can, but I go by the literal text directly on LOR's website that details what they are and what they are for.

Orville, go download the current Pixie Manual. On page 22 there is a Picture of a Pixie2D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Orville said:

I can't post a photo.  I don't have a way to take one or upload it at this time.

A] You don't have one then.
B] If you did, you would know how to set the address on them.
C] Please just admit you were wrong and move on.

 

Edited by Don
Typo.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So after all this I’m guessing I go with Mr. P setup ?

String 1 - Unit ID 2, channels 1-300 (2 x 50 pixel strings) Is this port 1 ??            String 2 - Unit ID 3, channels 1-300 (2 x 50 pixel strings) Is this port 2 ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Paul Moore said:

So after all this I’m guessing I go with Mr. P setup ?

String 1 - Unit ID 2, channels 1-300 (2 x 50 pixel strings) Is this port 1 ??            String 2 - Unit ID 3, channels 1-300 (2 x 50 pixel strings) Is this port 2 ?

Should be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...